The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by HammerAl »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:09 pm I still think Yarmolenko can be effective... I'm not sure that sticking him on the right wing is making the most of his skillset. If he was fit, I'd have tried him as a second striker... he has a pretty good goalscoring record.
Not sure. He’s looked sluggish and pretty heavy since he signed, and looks even worse since his injury. He’s made a career of chopping in from the right and crossing / shooting with his left, but looks like he’s lost confidence in running and turning quickly, which is understandable.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

People really thinking Sullivan’s scatter gun is going to land 3 players that are going to hit the ground running and will make a difference? If that is the case perhaps he really is wasted as a Shiite owner and could play a role as director of football. Perhaps sack Moyes and let him manage as well.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

They've obviously agreed to sell Rice for £50m-£60m in the summer if these bids are genuine (which they probably ain't).
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Soucek, now come on we know what’s gonna happen plane touches down at stanstead
Sullivan ( Del Boy ) and Gold ( rodney ) standing by the 3 wheeler up pulls limo out steps little cretin Levy and whisks him away, but they tried useall crap

Ps don’t go to bed to early :thup:
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:47 pm I'm torn on this one, because we just need new people at this point, but if he's not quick off the mark for the team top of a poor league, then I can't see how he's going to fix our lack of pace in a much quicker league.

Solid passer and his technique looks awkward, again says he's just Rice, when we are trying to replace Noble who is the one who dictates the passing for us.

But, it doesn't really matter right now. Guess it's a limited market and he's looks a lot better that Sanchez and Lanzini at the minute.
He has also played very well against top teams both in Europe (Sevilla, Chelsea, Dortmund, Barca, Inter) and internationally. Burst can be important, but positioning in overall pace can make up for it.

As to Rice/Noble. I think there are 2 factors... 1. There isn't that much of a role difference anymore. Not only is Noble slower than Rice and Soucek, his passing under pressure has badly deteriorated. He'll shine on the rare Bournemouth day, but most of the year he's not contributing much.

Overall though, i'd expect us to go to the DM double pivot, much like the Czech Republic currently does with Soucek. A 4-2-3-1 for example, or even a 4-4-2 could work. Letting us play the creative Fornals, Lanzini, Anderson types while having better defending behind them. It also allows the use of one DM as the ball stopper while the other drops to help the back line when a FB is caught upfield (which they can be more aggressive in doing knowing they have the 2 DM behind them.)
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Let's hope this Soucek bloke doesn't watch the game on Wednesday. If he does, he'll be on the first plane back to Prague.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Sullivan is gambling again. A decent club would have monitored this chap for months. Background checks on his character. Thorough analysis if he could adapt to the Premier League.

This bloke has been thrusted forward by an agent. I bet we ain't gotta clue about him tbh. The rb and striker will be similar. If all three hit the ground running it will be more luck than judgement.

HAS TO BE DONE THOUGH BECAUSE THE EXISTING SQUAD WONT GET MORE THAN 12 POINTS BETWEEN NOW AND THE END OF THE SEASON.
WeallwantMoore

Post by WeallwantMoore »

duncanio wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:08 pm Then what have we gained?
A much stronger spine in the team....key
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

Come on Sullivan, you can´t go down without a fight! Wrap Soucek up, sign a right back and surprise us all and go all out for Luca Jovic, he will not need any time to know how to play with Haller, they´ll link up instantly!

It would improve the team dramatically
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:18 pm Two Rice's in the team wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. Rice isn't actually bad at getting forward at all, but he can't really do so, because we don't have the legs or energy elsewhere in midfield. Soucek is another who likes to get forward. The midfield becomes a lot more balanced and they should compliment each other. It's a decent signing. As long as this is who Moyes wants and who he thinks will help his system.
With our full back contingent, a double pivot in midfield is exactly what we require and have required for some time. :thup:
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

WeallwantMoore wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:29 pm A much stronger spine in the team....key
We'll have gained a centre back for the bench when centre back is arguably the position that needs least attention.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure that is arguable.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:58 pm With our full back contingent, a double pivot in midfield is exactly what we require and have required for some time. :thup:
100%! In fact, the way the squad has been built, every area of the side needs a sturdier, smarter midfield in there.

Haller needs support up top, so we need players behind who can do the ugly work for the people who have to bomb forward to be with him.

All our centre backs are poor defenders when they step out of the backline. The full backs are clearly below par and need protection, especially if they’re going to be tasked with providing our width.

Even Noble would be improved joining in as he’d be able to go into battle without the fear of holding down a side of the pitch and his desire to hunt tackles being less exposed by his pace to turn around when beaten.

I’d still sign Berge too, if we could. Three tall and strong central midfielders in there, allow Rice to roam more, finally win some control in the middle.
traxop

Post by traxop »

johnnyb wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:06 pm Let's hope this Soucek bloke doesn't watch the game on Wednesday. If he does, he'll be on the first plane back to Prague.
Just switch the feed to our game from our season, we did well and could have won that one. Just shows what a shambles this season has been.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Nandez is just an ok player, not the outstanding one whe need to get out of relegation...

Im still angry why the foo king board did not maked a try and bid for Pulgar (+ Maripan) in the summer instead... :evil: (he has almost the same tackles per game, 2.7, than Rice, 3, and reached much more pace, crosses and passes than Fornals and anyone in our squad, 3 goals, 3 assist and more blocks and clears... )

Soucek looks like a proper player, so lets get him in... coming :thup:
Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

By the way, seeing the lack of ambition from our board in regards of signing good players, I can see why Pelle couldnt get the right grip with the squad the last games and 2 months....

As its looks like he capitulates and gave it up (with stupid players selections, subtitutions and tactics) the last time aiming to be sacked anyway as he KNEW almost no new signs will be coming with him on charge... so point of no return and no way out reached..

Something of a Kamikaze way to go... out of it... maybe... imho.
Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door »

Wilko1304 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:32 am 100%! In fact, the way the squad has been built, every area of the side needs a sturdier, smarter midfield in there.

Haller needs support up top, so we need players behind who can do the ugly work for the people who have to bomb forward to be with him.

All our centre backs are poor defenders when they step out of the backline. The full backs are clearly below par and need protection, especially if they’re going to be tasked with providing our width.

Even Noble would be improved joining in as he’d be able to go into battle without the fear of holding down a side of the pitch and his desire to hunt tackles being less exposed by his pace to turn around when beaten.

I’d still sign Berge too, if we could. Three tall and strong central midfielders in there, allow Rice to roam more, finally win some control in the middle.
Definitely don't agree on Berge, I don't see how you play him, Soucek and Rice together, you've now given back the mobility boost you got by replacing Noble (and Sanchez) if we sign another CM (I doubt we will, I'd expect it to be Rice, Soucek, Noble, Fornals playing most of the CM time) it should be a more forward player with an emphasis on passing. Fofana has been linked, that would be the type, maybe Kessie on loan.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Don’t disagree, but I think we need three solid players in there to make our defending (and full backs on the attack) work.

The Toures, Sangares linked make sense and may be a slightly better fit, but I think if you put Soucek and Berge with Rice, you can allow Berge to completely sit, Soucek and Rice be a little less rigid and cover the wider areas defensively. Plus Rice is very mobile and it might allow Soucek to get into the box too on slow build ups (that we are stuck with).

That’s the set up I’d prefer, regardless of who the three are. If it isn’t Berge, one of the other two sit deeper and two more disciplined players but not static.

Three proper midfielders in there at all times. Kessie would be fine, but I’m wary of this apparent lack of technical skills and how our team doesn’t pass quickly enough as it is.
Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door »

Wilko1304 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:10 am Don’t disagree, but I think we need three solid players in there to make our defending (and full backs on the attack) work.

The Toures, Sangares linked make sense and may be a slightly better fit, but I think if you put Soucek and Berge with Rice, you can allow Berge to completely sit, Soucek and Rice be a little less rigid and cover the wider areas defensively. Plus Rice is very mobile and it might allow Soucek to get into the box too on slow build ups (that we are stuck with).

That’s the set up I’d prefer, regardless of who the three are. If it isn’t Berge, one of the other two sit deeper and two more disciplined players but not static.

Three proper midfielders in there at all times. Kessie would be fine, but I’m wary of this apparent lack of technical skills and how our team doesn’t pass quickly enough as it is.
I don't think you can play 3 DM at once, that's essentially 7 defenders because Rice is not a CM, he's a DM/CB. A back 4 that includes Ogbonna and Diop with Rice and Soucek sitting in front is about as stout as it gets. Adding another pure DM to that hurts you far more in the effort to go from defense to attack than it helps your defense. At a certain point you're just getting in each other's way.

I'd look to what the Czech Republic did against England as an example.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/tactical-a ... england-1/
4 at the back, 2 DM in front with 1 often being the one that dropped into the back line when the FB bombed forward ( they used the RB, which we can do with Fredericks, but while he's out it would likely be the LB). In the center in front of the DM pairing was Darida, a true box to box CM with a slight attacking edge, he could be the Fornals, Kessie, Fofana etc.

I can't think of a tactic that works with 3 truly defensive midfielders outside of a pure bus parking (and even that rarely actually works, clubs are too good now, and it's too easy to surrender a penalty or concede on a deflection).
2 can work because when in possession they alternate going forward and dropping back, with the fullback also going forward. With 3 though, it doesn't work as effectively, and you're going to struggle in transitioning and in execution with possession.
Doylaz
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Doylaz »

WeallwantMoore wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:58 pm Play him in Rice position and move Rice back to his best spot....Center back....
Please tell me how it is a good idea to move our best midfielder to centre back? Rice has been getting better at going forward as the season has progressed so it seems very odd that you would want to weaken our midfield and put him at CB.