The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Gsbgsb »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:14 pm A Moyes 3 at the back squad

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I don't think we're hugely short if the players are set up in a way that suits them.

Midfield is the obvious problem.

I agree on Yarmolenko, and it's pretty much a given that Sanchez, Zabaleta, Bob, Wilshere can all toddle off if we can find takers.
Moyes will play Cresswell left of the 3 and Arthur outside as he did before, means he can switch to a 4 during the game, as he did then - eg Southampton at home, without having to resort to the bench.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Maybe.

Last time round Ogbonna was often the only fit, senior half IIRC.

Winston was knackered by injury, Fonte was sold and Ginge was in/out with injuries too - hence a back 3 of Rice-Oggy-Cresswell.

I'd forgotten that he had us in the top half by the time he (was told?) flogged Ayew, Fonte and Sakho for c.£35m in the January transfer window to buff up Pellegrini's pot.

The January sales were definitely a factor in the Swansea debacle where there was no one fit and Reid got rushed back early and has never played for us since. That was the game before Burnley.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I read many requests for a box to box midfielder and would like to see Moyes sign a sort of Leon Osman type midfield player. He used to get stuck in, particularly against us and was always good to ghost into the box, usually unchallenged, well against us, anyway, a la Martin Peters and pop up for the occasional goal. He is retired now, last played in the 2014/15 season and scored just 1 goal that year, against us, of course. I wonder if there is a similar player out there somewhere?
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

I very much doubt it mate. Evertonians sung “there’s only one Leon Osman”. There was a reason for that.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:37 pm I read many requests for a box to box midfielder and would like to see Moyes sign a sort of Leon Osman type midfield player. He used to get stuck in, particularly against us and was always good to ghost into the box, usually unchallenged, well against us, anyway, a la Martin Peters and pop up for the occasional goal. He is retired now, last played in the 2014/15 season and scored just 1 goal that year, against us, of course. I wonder if there is a similar player out there somewhere?
I still think Rice might be more effective as a centre half, with the anchor midfielder being someone with a better range of passing.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

e17 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:00 pm Diop is the player the team should be built around
Agreed. It's alarming how much he has dropped off this season, but understandable given our form.

Balbuena has also dropped off a lot. I thought him and Diop had a good partnership last season.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

e17 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:00 pm Diop is the player the team should be built around

what, you mean with loads of other defenders?
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

The way Rice has been galloping forward lately, maybe he'll be the next Bryan Robson.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Vic_Watson wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:07 pm The way Rice has been galloping forward lately, maybe he'll be the next Bryan Robson.
Bryan Robson could carry a whole team, he was an inspiration, if Rice ends up to be half the player he will be lucky. Also he will definitely have to improve his mostly sub standard passing ability
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

ChzMff wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:31 pm I very much doubt it mate. Evertonians sung “there’s only one Leon Osman”. There was a reason for that.
There’s a bloke that works up the local chippie called Leon osman but he looks about 25 stone, would he qualify
Mat da chat

Post by Mat da chat »

It's clearly obvious. Yarmelenko is to be sacrificed to generate cash. Not played or been in the squad. The others that are available dont generate cash barring money off the wage bill.
We need a birahmi/park type player. Loads of legs. Snods done ok. We need better
Mat da chat

Post by Mat da chat »

Fornals will be nobles replacement if given enough time but the team needs legs. These type of players should be easy to pick up. It's an engine that all that required
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Have the Sander Berge links dried up - or were they just media transfer-vapour? :(
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Mat da chat wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:56 pm Fornals will be nobles replacement if given enough time but the team needs legs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBo6WbKT3Fw

One of my fav vids of the 80s :tune:
seattlehammer1
Has liked: 1 like

Post by seattlehammer1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:46 pm

The amount of times Anderson kills a move when he steps on the ball or drags it back; the amount of times Antonio sets off all on his lonesome with the rest either stopped dead or moving in cement; the amount of times Fornals starts a yard up and is caught in moments; the amount of times Lanzini overruns from far too deep....
I believe Fredericks is the worse offender in this regard. Watch him. Everything he does he dithers upon. Crosses. Throw ins. You can see the players around him saying FFS when he takes his time with a throw in. He has bags of pace, but that’s an attribute all lost because his brain can’t keep up with his legs.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

there is no way anyone would be stupid enough to buy wilshere sanchez Snodgrass. zaba is off in the summer so he wont be going anywhere in January.
yarmolenko we might be able to shift for around the 8m mark. he has been so poor and injury prone but still does ok for Ukraine. hopefully someone out their will want a name.

we need the legs in midfield and this is where we should spend any money we have. berge, toure, Santamaria or hayden will be fine for us arund the 15-20m mark.
if we get 8-10m for yarmo then the shysters will need to find another 10m. surely they can give moyes some money !

we need another striker as Antonio is injury prone and ajeti is unknown. so a free transfer or loan deal will be next in. giroud is 34 and not what we need, we have enough old players already ! Balotelli 29 years on a free could be tempting. could replace haller when required.

new keeper could be Bentley or etheridge for around 5-10m

another loan or free at CB would be useful if we are playing 3 at the back with only reid and cresswell as cover.

so if all goes to plan sully might spend 15-20m in this window. possible as they will have to give moyes a few bones to help him.

if we can only sign one player then it must be the CM player we have needed for years.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

we’re getting linked with a fair few continental £20m players (Kessie, Berge, Sanson, Santamaria). Would we be better off going for Isaac Hayden and Joe Allen for a combined £20m....?
artlin

Post by artlin »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:14 pm A Moyes 3 at the back squad

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I don't think we're hugely short if the players are set up in a way that suits them.

Midfield is the obvious problem.

I agree on Yarmolenko, and it's pretty much a given that Sanchez, Zabaleta, Bob, Wilshere can all toddle off if we can find takers.
We are not too badly set up with that formation.

Additional GK (Trott) and a bit of flair and quality in midfield. If only Wheelchair was fit!! Maybe play Lamzini AND Fournails instead of Noble.!!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:00 am we’re getting linked with a fair few continental £20m players (Kessie, Berge, Sanson, Santamaria). Would we be better off going for Isaac Hayden and Joe Allen for a combined £20m....?
I think a degree of proven capability in the PL is worth something though I'm not sure either of those names appeals.

Joe Allen is almost 30, so that looks like a bit short term to me. Hayden is a much better age - can't say I've ever really taken much notice of him, tbh.

I watched a Kessie video earlier and he looked a bit limited technically, and I'm really conscious of the fact that our game is so much more frenetic than almost every other league in Europe, so appearing physically imposing in a euro-league doesn't necessarily translate to being able to do it in England.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

mattyD wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:05 pm what, you mean with loads of other defenders?
No. I think he has it in him to play the DM role and be very good at it