The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by hammer1975 »

Marky wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:06 pm Same here Steps. I am basing it on my belief that most players in the Top Divisions of Good European leagues are better than Our Carlos
If your key requirement is ‘better than Carlos Sanchez’ the list of potential midfielders could be quite large mate. Lol
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Better than Carlos Sanchez..

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Better than Carlos Sanchez is not a mindset we should be using.

Better than Mark Noble is.

No point in signing anyone who isn't in that second bracket. You're essentially just padding the squad out with more sub optimal players otherwise.

What do we need another underwhelming, average, unremarkable player for?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Marky wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:06 pm Same here Steps. I am basing it on my belief that most players in the Top Divisions of Good European leagues are better than Our Carlos
top few divisions i reckon and include asia, africa australia, new zealand, qatar, and the rest of the wold in that
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:03 am The point with Cullen is:

Is he good enough? Maybe not, most likely not, but the alternatives at the club are not and near £10m on Allen isn’t a good investment. I’d rather have Cullen than Sanchez, and certainly rather than the no midfielders on the bench at the weekend.

It’s not comparing him to Premier League standard, it’s comparing him with our standard.

I totally agree.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:18 pm Better than Carlos Sanchez is not a mindset we should be using.

Better than Mark Noble is.

No point in signing anyone who isn't in that second bracket. You're essentially just padding the squad out with more sub optimal players otherwise.

What do we need another underwhelming, average, unremarkable player for?
I think you're right. But that may be tough in January.

The issue we have right now is that if Declan Rice or Mark Noble break their leg on the 2nd Feb, their replacement is pony. If we can upgrade on Mark Noble now, great, but if we can't, I don't think we should necesarilly ignore the fact that Wilshere and Sanchez are completely unreliable for differing reasons.

Not that I'm advocating Kessie btw.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

jacko wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 am
My brother has a charlton season ticket and doesn’t think Cullen is necessarily good enough for the premier league.
It's possible that he's right, of course, but the point might fairly be that, whereas Cullen may struggle to directly replace Noble, he is/was surely a better bet than Sanchez who must either not be bothered about playing for us - given the utterly appalling efforts we have thus far seen - or actually, perhaps worse, a truly terrible player.

I actually think the latter and wonder whether Cullen would ever have been as bad as him.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 am Enormous picture of Lord Silkman of Chadwell Heath
Where precisely has he been scouting? The Sahara Desert? :D
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Sanchez has barely played for us and we’re still only a point above the relegation zone. I take the point that we’re even further in trouble if we have to play Sanchez more but he’s not the source or even a significant cause of our poor form or results this season.

We need to bring in players who would stand a realistic chance of being picked ahead of Noble, Snodgrass, Lanzini etc.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Marky »

TTS I agree.
Noble is an issue but harder to upgrade in Jan.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:21 pmThe issue we have right now is that if Declan Rice or Mark Noble break their leg on the 2nd Feb, their replacement is pony. If we can upgrade on Mark Noble now, great, but if we can't, I don't think we should necesarilly ignore the fact that Wilshere and Sanchez are completely unreliable for differing reasons.
If the player we're bringing in to fill that role behind Noble or Rice isn't better than the worst of them (obviously Noble) I think I agree with the calls Pinky made and say that we shouldn't bother. It's pointless. If we have to reduce our midfield options to someone with less ability technically and physically than Nobes, we're done. It's a wasted effort.

To me it's putting sellotape over leaks on a sinking ship.

It's never been more obvious to anyone that we need a quality all round central midfield player. If we aren't going to invest in a proper one right now, in our most desperate hour of need, when every single sign points to the fact it'd be a game changer for us, why bother with someone less? Seriously.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Chelmo Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:50 am 99/00 season we had keeper starters in Hislop, Forrest, Bywater, Feuer and Ilic......5 goalkeepers in a season! Mind you, that season was so much more fun than this one :lol:
T'rrific scenes.... Image
bobo

Post by bobo »

hammer1975 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:57 am Is Kessie physically strong enough for the PL? He’s obviously a big guy but does that mean there’s a danger we assume he’s automatically physical enough? In the same way that Diop is tall so you’d expect him to win every header (but he’s actually not all that good in the air IMO).

Kessie has looked a bit soft and a bit easily pushed around for his size - on the few occasions I’ve watched him play.

We won’t sign him anyway as he will cost money and he doesn’t fit the managers ‘ready now’ criteria.

Such a good point on Diop, he is quite poor in the air to the point he pulls out of headers. Ogbonna is a monster in the air, don’t see many get the better of him but on Saturday DCL really done well against Diop to the point Ogbonna just followed him in the end.

Diop could learn a lot from Ogbonna.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Sanchez out and Reece Oxford back?
Just hypothisising
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

"We’ve been linked with a few so to identify one player would be wrong. We will try to add one player, maybe two at a push but there could be a chance we could not get anybody"

Quote from Moyes today. He was being asked about Berge specifiically.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I see the completely OTT Carlos Sanchez/ scapegoating is dominating the last couple of pages of this thread again, despite their being little evidence of how he is to blame

This season in the league he has played the following:

Brighton - came on at 83 mins when game was 1-1, and it ended 1-1
Watford - came on at 88 mins when game was 3-1 and it ended 3-1
Norwich - came on at 85 mints when games 2-0 and it ended 2-0
Spurs - came on at 64 when we were losing 3-0 and it ended 3-2
Southampton - came on at 89 mins when were winning 1-0 and it ended 1-0
Leicester - played first 62 minutes and it was 1-2, the game ended 1-2

He has played 113 minutes and the goals for and against is is 3-2 in his favour

He hasn't appeared in any of our most calamitous matches this season [Man City, Burnley, newcastle, etc]

Last season he played the following:

Bournemouth - came on at 77 mins when game was 1-2, and it ended 1-2
Arsenal - played 90 mins and we lost 3-1
Wolves - played 90 mins and we lost 0-1
Everton - came on at 71 mins when we were winning 3-1 and it ended 3-1
Chelsea - came on at 85 minutes when it was 0-0 and it ended 0-0
Southampton - came on at 78 mins when we were winning 3-0 and it ended 3-0
Watford - came on at 79 mins when we were winning 4-1 and it ended 4-1

The geezer isn't Claude Makalele for sure but he is way way way down the list of reasons we are where we are

He is being judged purely on the basis of the error he made vs Wolves in the last minute [despite having played pretty well up to that point] and the Oxford game, where he like everyone else was rubbish, and he had played a grand total of 14 league minutes and 90 minutes against Newport up to that point this season, after coming back from a long term injury last season. Not surprising he wasn't up to speed. What was everyone else's excuse?

It isn't that easy to not play much for months and then all of a sudden have to get used to the pace of the Premier league

If we had played him a bit more and enabled him to get up to speed and into a bit of rhythm we could quite easily be higher up the table, given that the number of goals we concede when he is on the pitch is pretty low
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Marky wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm Kessie is better than Sanchez therefore I am a Yes.
I'm better than Sanchez, and I'm a 50 something fella who's indulged in far too much of what London and its unhealthy underbelly has to offer.. :shock:
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Is Kessie the guy we were linked to in the summer? I'd never heard of him before, but the overwhelming feeling I got at the time (from memory) was that he was a pretty good shout. Or am I thinking of someone different?
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

No one is blaming Sanchez for the position we find ourselves in, but it doesn't take a footballing expert, to realise that he just isn't a very good player.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

ToiletDuck wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:52 pm Sanchez out and Reece Oxford back?
Just hypothisising
I thought Oxford had gone on loan to some Dutch side after struggling at Augsburg, but seems he hadn't and is now being linked to Luton.

Luton and, ironically, Oxford United, both seem to be the place where all former West Ham youth players end up, either loaned to or on a fulltime basis. Do we have close relations with both clubs?