The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by McKnightmare »

S-H wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 pm Don't worry it's only the Express.
Elsewhere too I’m led to believe.
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

Ake move is off and they’re looking elsewhere.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

What is so frustrating is that if we had kept obiang, byram, diangana and adrian our squad would be in so much better shape. Then we could look to upgrade one or to positions instead of trying to plug gaping holes in the squad with 4 or 5 signings.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I can see us taking silly money for Diopp to get the 4 or 5 players we need.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I can see us taking silly money for Diopp to get the 4 or 5 players we need.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

When I saw Fernandes clips on you-tube, all I could see were those spindly legs and imagining how they would hold up in the PL. One thing I don't want is another pansy like Lanzini and Anderson (no matter how much skill and flair they might have).
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

Chip Korea wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:30 pm What is so frustrating is that if we had kept obiang, byram, diangana and adrian our squad would be in so much better shape. Then we could look to upgrade one or to positions instead of trying to plug gaping holes in the squad with 4 or 5 signings.
Thought Obiang and Adrian wanted out? Can’t remember Byrams contribution. Diangana seems to be excelling being a regular starter rather then bench warming.
b0x

Post by b0x »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:05 pm I don't know why some of you still retain faith in Sullivan he will deliver something in this window. This guy has previous, loads of it and if my memory were better, I could fill a book full of names he has failed to deliver, or prospective deals he has completely. if not even purposely cocked up. Remember, this is the guy who offered £4m for Dendoncker, a player valued by his club at the time at £16m. He was also very fortunate to land Diafra Sakho at all and it was only when his club threatened to sue, they raised the stakes, but the one I shall never forget is, Sam Baldock and the absolutely stinking, derisory and utterly insulting initial offer made to MK Dons for him. I know they eventually got him, but only after Fat Sam put his awe in and threatened to resign if he were not signed. There are loads more, William Carvalho being just one. Transfers and transfer windows and Sullivan, the bleak black days of his dealings are back casting a long dark shadow over us again. Just as well for me, I don't expect anything from him anymore and judging from his record, I think that is wise
we offered around 13m for Dendoncker, club said 20m or walk, we walked... wolves then signed him on a loan with a 13m option iirc

you could make the case that sullivans negotiation style is so toxic that he ends up pricing the club out of the deal... but an initial low ball offer isn't that odd.. i doubt that is the problem.. it probably has more to do with dealing with the man rather than the offers
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

I don’t think Sullivan has an issue being able to sign players (40+ forward players attests to that). He seems to get cold feet quickly when it’s more of a gamble (young and not proven). I also get the impression he doesn’t trust the managers opinion of players much (to be fair he has some reason).
b0x

Post by b0x »

hammer1975 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:16 pm We should have gone for Lemina in the summer Bubbs, think he’d have suited us to a tee. Either that or Gustavo Cuellar who had my favourite YouTube clips ever. Less convinced about Lerma - seemed to want to be playmaker against us and didn’t think he was impressive.
we were really interested in cuellar, offered 7m i believe... they said 25m or walk... we walked.. ended up going to some arab club for 7m

this is a familiar tale... west ham had a reputation of a club that was willing pay up on ridiculous demands for their targets... imho this was being address by husillos by pulling out of these targets and looking elsewhere - clubs are a little more weary these days and will be quicker to take a reasonable offer - long may it continue

sander berge was initially priced at ~25m, now we could be closing on a ~18m fee for him - which is probably a fair price for him

everton are probably going to struggle to get a decent deal considering how poorly they've splashed the cash recently
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

S-H wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:04 pm I'd rather roll the dice and take a chance on Fernandes than be lumbered with Allen, until he retires.

Signing Allen represents everything that is wrong with this football club, and everything that has been wrong with this club for quite some time.

Leicester haven't gotten to where they are, through buying other clubs dross, they have done it by aquiring young, hungry players.
Leicester also signed Evans when they saw a need for an experienced centre half- hardly young, hungry etc.

To have only one policy is wrong - what you need is a balanced approach. Sign the younger players who players you believe will improve, get in several at or close to their prime and also a few experienced heads all as required.

Last few seasons to my mind we have done that with varying degrees of success - eg several of the young “speculations” have not worked e.g. Fernandez, Fletcher, and Callieri some such as Diop and Fornals have with a whole bunch like Silva, Dju etc where the jury is still out. Others like Arthur fulfil a role.

The at or near their peak the same - Anderson, Haller, Balbuena, Fredericks seeming to work the likes of Wilshere (due to injury), Feghouli, Zaza etc not. Others like Yarmolenko also fulfil a role.

Similar for the experienced older heads - Fabianski and Zaba worked fine Evra, Roberto and Sanchez are clear failures.

There seems to be a narrative developing we only sign over the hill players looking for a final payday - going back a number of years (eg look at Lanzini, Antonio, Cresswell to name but a few) I do not see this.

Yes our reliance on a few agents is questionable, the general level of scouting and player judgment have probably been below average given the number of “failures” we have had, but our target pool age wise has not been as focused as some seem to be suggesting.
b0x

Post by b0x »

Gsbgsb wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:08 am Yes our reliance on a few agents is questionable, the general level of scouting and player judgment have probably been below average given the number of “failures” we have had, but our target pool age wise has not been as focused as some seem to be suggesting.
our scouting team and system, if there even is a system - let alone a filing cabinet, is probably the reason we get fixated on certain players.. we are simply ignorant of viable alternatives should negotiations go south...

it's too bad that sullivan loves wheelin and dealin so much... i am starting to worry that husillos isn't going to be replaced... if it was going to happen then it would be in the works now... can't expect a successful summer transfer window without a competent team working towards that period for at least a good 6 months
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Chip Korea wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:30 pm What is so frustrating is that if we had kept obiang, byram, diangana and adrian our squad would be in so much better shape. Then we could look to upgrade one or to positions instead of trying to plug gaping holes in the squad with 4 or 5 signings.
i really don't agree.
We offered Adrian a new deal, he wanted to either be a clear starter of take the Liverpool offer he was never staying to back up Fab.
Obiang had asked to leave, otherwise I agree he was a big loss, but it was more not replacing him once we told him he could leave that was the problem.
Diangana is doing exactly what we should want, getting experience at a lower level, he wasn't ready to play consistently at this level and he plays exclusively at the position we have the most talent.
Byram isn't really a premier league caliber player, he's in a rotation at Norwich that may be the worst defense in the league, he's miles behind Fredericks and probably worse than Zabaleta too.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

b0x wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 am our scouting team and system, if there even is a system - let alone a filing cabinet, is probably the reason we get fixated on certain players.. we are simply ignorant of viable alternatives should negotiations go south...

it's too bad that sullivan loves wheelin and dealin so much... i am starting to worry that husillos isn't going to be replaced... if it was going to happen then it would be in the works now... can't expect a successful summer transfer window without a competent team working towards that period for at least a good 6 months
I agree that whilst a new DOF is unlikely to impact this window one should be appointed sooner rather than later to give them as long as possible before the summer window opens. Might be a hard hire mind you:

1. They are likely to have been burnt by the hire my friend approach with MP/MH, it is not ideal to lose both at the same time. Means zero continuity which I thought was one of the benefits of the system.
2. Any decent DOF is likely to know the reputation DS has for meddling in transfers generally.
3. They need to work with Moyes philosophy/style which will British not continental and new players will have to suit this.

Whilst I am sure MP/MH were far cheaper I was amazed to read it cost Chelsea £26m to sack
Conti. Shows how important getting an appointment right is I suppose.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 222 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Ozza wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:32 pm Is he out of contract soon? If he is it works in the agents favour to price him out of a move right now
How does that work then? I thought he would get a percentage of the transfer fee?
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

There is no wisdom in waiting till summer. If you can get players worth buying, buy them. Berge, Fernandes, Colley lets say - if they are scouted as good enough, they’re good for the club.

Moyes being here or not, improve the squad. If we had an actual director of football, that’s what their job would be. Managers have far too much to do, they really don’t need to be heading up transfers.

Probably somewhat disingenuous to ask Moyes to work with what he’s got, recognising that the squad isn’t good enough. I didn’t want him, but it’s not worthwhile to play some game with him and it’s to the detriment of the squad.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Looks like we are back on the Fernandez deal, and also looks like Chelsea are coming in for Diop. As good a player as Diop is, I’d let him go for £50m if we can bring in a proper replacement ( I’d go for Ben White currently at Leeds on loan from Brighton, or make Jake Clarke-Salter part of the deal, ) and put the rest of the money towards bringing in the help we need at full back, central midfield, and maybe even up front.
Out:
Roberto £-500k
Diop £50m
Yarmolenko £9m
Sanchez -500k
Wilshere £1m to the MLS
Masuaku £9m

In :
Randolph £4m
Ben White (CB Leeds on loan from Brighton) £27m
Jayden Bogle(RB Derby) £9m
Fernandes £5m loan obligation to buy in 18 months £35m
Omar Richards (LB Reading) £7m
Flynn Downes (DM Ipswich £5m)
Piatek (ST Milan) £28m

That’s a net (initial) spend of around £16m and it would give us a much younger, faster more rounded squad more in keeping with Moyes style of play.
Wed also be using 3 less non home grown spots.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Peaches wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:44 am Chelsea are coming in for Diop. As good a player as Diop is, I’d let him go for £50m if we can bring in a proper replacement
Ripping him out of our squad mid season makes no sense IMO. If we flog him for 50mil then we make a 27mil profit (less if Toulouse had a sell on cluase). We would spend the vast majority of that 28mil profit on what is likely to be an inferior replacement on higher wages.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

We should be building a team around the likes of Diop, not flogging him as soon as someone flashes a bit of cash.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Revised offer in for Gedson (Sky sports)

I wouldn’t sell Diop. I do get the frustration re: his heading though. Sometimes he looks afraid of the ball, but I’ve seen him be utterly dominant on other occasions. It’s a strange one... :eh: