The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: January

Post by S-H »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:05 am Can't see the argument with giving Cresswell an extension to sell for a fee. His wages will be even higher due to the new contract. He does not provide value at all. I'd be very surprised if he was sold. Would probably have to take a wage cut in my view.
Giving him a contract is cheaper than signing a replacement/upgrade.. same for Noble, same for Zabaleta, same for Reid until he became a full-time sick note.

The kind of short term thinking that will always hold us back
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we are a mess with so many old players on the books
noble 32 another 3 years
sanchez 35 ends 2020
zabaleta 35 ends 2020
Snodgrass 32 another 2 years
wilshere 27 another 2 years never fit
reid 31 another 3 years
cresswell 29 another 5 years

none of the above are really good enough to start with maybe the exception being snoddy . I dread to think the wage bill for this lot !
Patito

Post by Patito »

We need to sign Eberechi Eze.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

At least HM11 has acknowledged Sondgrass' contract and now sees him in a more positive light!

Agree S-H. Under the circumstances LB is now 'sorted' whether we like it or not. RB however...
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Patito wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 am We need to sign Eberechi Eze.
very good call
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I'm not sure I quite agree on RB not being sorted - unless Pellegrini has lost faith in Fredericks (possible given him picking Zabaleta for the past two games, I guess). Fredericks seems very comfortable and competent as a Premier League right back, and has had some excellent performances for us recently.

I always like the idea of plucking good young(er) Championship players up, too - Eze is a good example. Phillips is top of my wishlist but I don't think will happen. What about Matt Grimes of Swansea? I know stats tell half the story and I've only seen him play a couple of times this season, but he's a DM with 2.4 tackles and 1.6 interceptions a game, plus 2.1 key passes played. Only 24 and could be a good signing for us given the type of player we seem to be lacking - the eye test has told me he's a fairly high energy player too.
hammerman11 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:30 am we are a mess with so many old players on the books
You're naming five over 30 there two of whom are out of contract next summer anyway, one of whom is on the cusp of a return from an awful injury, the club captain who before the recent games was being suggested on here as a potential call up for England by some because of his form, and a player who you yourself spent all summer telling us he was too old, too slow, should never have got his contract extended, couldn't wait for his contract to end etc etc but now suddenly is the only one good enough to play for us based on two good performances.

Also - Sanchez is 33. Zabaleta is 34.

Turn it in.

We have more players under 30 than over 30 in our first team squad, and have focused largely on signing young players in transfer windows over the past 18 months. The average age of the team we are putting out under Pellegrini trends largely downwards from last season to this, not to mention against the Bilic/Moyes season.
iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Oh no, I agree on Fredericks being quite capable. But I think we can rule out Zab as being part of the picture now. And it is a big gamble to rely on Johnson when he is fit again.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Pellegrini does't like loans...

We have no money to spend I saw on twitter from our favourite website...

It's ok though, they saved us
We have a world class stadium
World class players

Don't worry...the OSB taskforce are banging on Brady's door as we speak.

Oh sorry, the OSB were just asing for more biscuits.

Pull another string and I'll kiss your lips, I'm your puppet...

💩
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

If Arsenal have trouble selling him in January and would be open to a loan deal, I would take Xhaka...

I actually think we need to play Sanchez, because of how badly we are lacking that type of player in midfield.

Would help Rice influence games more like we know he can also...
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Yep. He's really, really good. Wouldn't cost too much either.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:36 pm If Arsenal have trouble selling him in January and would be open to a loan deal, I would take Xhaka...
Dear god no, he is a liability both on and off the pitch it seems.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

He's easily the best player in that league :)
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

Although hm11's figures weren't EXACTLY right, I'm sure I heard we had the third or fourth oldest squad in the league. The figures might be a bit skewed by having three 33 year old keepers, but I do think we could do with a bit of youthful injection.

Eze would be a good fit. Sander Berge as well.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

SH it’s not necessarily a given that people get pay rises with a new contract
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Who's that midfield player at Leeds everyone's ****ing raving about ? This makes me think, perhaps we should go shopping there, maybe even in League 1 too, as there are some really good players in that league who just want the chance to shine and they will re-pay it in spades if someone just shows them a bit of faith. When I last watched Gillingham a couple of seasons ago, they had 3 or 4 really good players in their team and there will be a few more teams with some tidy players too
iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Ozza wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:18 pm SH it’s not necessarily a given that people get pay rises with a new contract
I thought it was the case that you had to offer an improved deal with any contract extension.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:22 pm Who's that midfield player at Leeds everyone's ****ing raving about ?
Kalvin Phillips. He's going nowhere for the forseeable though. I agree we should be looking at some of the talent in the football league.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:22 pm Who's that midfield player at Leeds everyone's ****ing raving about ? This makes me think, perhaps we should go shopping there, maybe even in League 1 too, as there are some really good players in that league who just want the chance to shine and they will re-pay it in spades if someone just shows them a bit of faith. When I last watched Gillingham a couple of seasons ago, they had 3 or 4 really good players in their team and there will be a few more teams with some tidy players too
Kalvin Phillips. He's bloody superb. I know YouTube is about 10% of the story, but:

What's the name of that Luton right back Leicester signed, Justin James? Only played in the League Cup for them to date but has impressed after moving from League One to the PL. Same thing with Dele Alli, wasn't it?

Can't say I watch League One but I've heard some good noises about Louis Reed at Peterborough.

When you consider the success we've had in the past with signings from the Championship, notably the likes of Cresswell, Antonio, even you could say Fredericks, I'm surprised we haven't looked there more often. I suppose you occasionally get a Hughill, but then again he wasn't exactly a shining light of the Championship when we signed him...
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

Kalvin Phillips is class. Not sure the owners would spend that much on a central midfielder from the Championship though. He'll be in and around the England set-up within the next couple of seasons.

I'd be very happy to take the best, young players from the Championship and League One rather than buying from abroad. Are there players in the Championship who could be as effective as some of our big signings? Possibly. It's not always about buying big from Europe's major leagues. There is top class talent in the lower / lesser leagues as well.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Eze would be the one I'd go for.

Phillips is also superb but isn't leaving Leeds any time soon.

Benrahma and Watkins from Brentford are 2 we've been linked with before.

Bowen from Hull looks class to me and would do well in this league.

There's talent there.