The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Macca1973 »

Exciting and inspiring update from Moyes in his press conference ‘there’s a good chance we won’t get anyone in’ :asleep: get ready for the Championship!
Mitten
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Mitten »

am i right in thinking that Randolph is classed as 'home grown' and as such fills the vacancy in the squad that we have for home grown players? If so, then replacing him for Roberto frees up a spot in the overseas quota, where we were full after the last window? Could be why we signed Darren then?
Julien Snow Bear
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Julien Snow Bear »

ToiletDuck wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:52 pm Sanchez out and Reece Oxford back?
Just hypothisising
Reece Oxford is definitely not the answer - he's not played since Nov 3rd, and only 8 times all season (1 win, 4 loses).

He'll be shuffled out of the door at Augsburg at the end of the season, probably to a Championship side, then down to L1 the following year.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Mitten wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:22 pm am i right in thinking that Randolph is classed as 'home grown' and as such fills the vacancy in the squad that we have for home grown players? If so, then replacing him for Roberto frees up a spot in the overseas quota, where we were full after the last window? Could be why we signed Darren then?
It's been mentioned, but yes it opens a spot for a non-HG (though we actually had one if we wanted it, Chicharito left and we filled his spot with Cardoso who doesn't have to be registered due to age) I doubt it was the reason we went for Randolph (he was probably the best quickly available keeper for essentially free) but yes a benefit is that it means IF we sign anyone we don't need to worry about HG status for up to 2 players
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:04 pm I see the completely OTT Carlos Sanchez/ scapegoating is dominating the last couple of pages of this thread again, despite their being little evidence of how he is to blame
I think the issue I have with him is the same as Wilshere. The two of them are taking up around £150k a week in wages, and two central midfield spots. We are where we are not because of him, but because what we have....is him!

4 capable central midfielders would allow Moyes to change the formation, to play a 3 man central midfield, or to play two holding midfielders with one of Lanzini or Fornals ahead of them. Or even would allow us to use Rice as part of a back 3, if we wanted. All of these things aren't happening because Sanchez cannot be trusted to play this role.

You're right. It's not his fault, and maybe managers should just chuck him in, but whenever I have seen him he just looks like such an accident waiting to happen. Noble might be slow, but his experience and awareness make up for it. Sanchez is slow, but is also ponderous and liable to be caught in posession and out of of position.

Sanchez is not a problem, in the same way that Reid is not a problem, or Wilshere is not a problem, or Roberto was not a problem, or Ajeti is not a problem. But between them, you have 5 senior players in a 25 man squad who for one reason or another are simply unable to be picked. Given our situation, that is a huge issue.
Mitten
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Mitten »

Cellar-door wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:27 pm It's been mentioned, but yes it opens a spot for a non-HG (though we actually had one if we wanted it, Chicharito left and we filled his spot with Cardoso who doesn't have to be registered due to age) I doubt it was the reason we went for Randolph (he was probably the best quickly available keeper for essentially free) but yes a benefit is that it means IF we sign anyone we don't need to worry about HG status for up to 2 players
thanks - I thought we only had 1 space left? Cresswell, Noble, Wilshere, Fredericks, Martin, Antionio, Randolph? 1 more?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Deadline day move for Feliani i'm telling you. Nailed on :lol:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 pm No one is blaming Sanchez for the position we find ourselves in, but it doesn't take a footballing expert, to realise that he just isn't a very good player.
In terms of his west ham career, what is that actually based on?

One game v Oxford?

When else has he performed particularly badly, or any worse than anyone else in the team?

whenever I have seen him, except the aforementioned Oxford game, he has done ok for what he is actually supposed to do - kept his position, re-cycled the ball, won some tackles -especially for someone with next to no minutes of football under his belt.

As I say, we certainly need someone better [and younger] in midfield to compete with our incumbents, but he has never really had a proper chance to stiffen up our midfield over a period of time

it is all very similar to the constant accusations that masuaku makes loads of costly mistakes when playing LB, but yet no-one can ever really name those mistakes
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:28 pm I think the issue I have with him is the same as Wilshere. The two of them are taking up around £150k a week in wages, and two central midfield spots. We are where we are not because of him, but because what we have....is him!

4 capable central midfielders would allow Moyes to change the formation, to play a 3 man central midfield, or to play two holding midfielders with one of Lanzini or Fornals ahead of them. Or even would allow us to use Rice as part of a back 3, if we wanted. All of these things aren't happening because Sanchez cannot be trusted to play this role.

You're right. It's not his fault, and maybe managers should just chuck him in, but whenever I have seen him he just looks like such an accident waiting to happen. Noble might be slow, but his experience and awareness make up for it. Sanchez is slow, but is also ponderous and liable to be caught in posession and out of of position.

Sanchez is not a problem, in the same way that Reid is not a problem, or Wilshere is not a problem, or Roberto was not a problem, or Ajeti is not a problem. But between them, you have 5 senior players in a 25 man squad who for one reason or another are simply unable to be picked. Given our situation, that is a huge issue.
This is my issue though. I see no real evidence why Sanchez cannot be trusted to play the role as a holding midfielder alongside Rice. He has never had the chance to. I think the Leicester game the other day was the first time it has ever happened.

Fine, if he has played 10 games, or even five and it ended in goals flying in against us all over the place, but that hasn't happened. The goals usually fly in when he is not on the pitch!

The stick he gets far far outweighs what is deserved based on his performances on the pitch
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:36 pm Deadline day move for Feliani i'm telling you. Nailed on :lol:
I think it's all or nothing on Barkley,followed by "Don't go to bed" followed by "Oh how we tried!!" followed by "I have full confidence in the squad we have" followed by a proper injury update on all those "near full fitness" updates so far.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:39 pm In terms of his west ham career, what is that actually based on?
Come on, Crouchy, I know our standards are low, but he is finished, his touch is terrible, he is slow to react to danger, he lacks mobility, pretty much everything required by a top-level midfielder, he lacks.

Just watching him, it's clear to see that he is an extremely limited footballer, going back to his Villa days, when age was still on his side, he still looked poor.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Sanchez was terrible against Leicester reserves. 100% felt at the time we’d have won with anyone but him in holding midfield. Saying that, he’s not the main cause of our malaise and I totally agree we should set our sights higher than improving him. Sad to say it but we need someone who’s going to push Noble to the sub bench or be a first 11 player next to Noble and Rice.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:04 pm I see the completely OTT Carlos Sanchez/ scapegoating is dominating the last couple of pages of this thread again, despite their being little evidence of how he is to blame

This season in the league he has played the following:

Stats, schmats.

All you have to do is watch in real time the goals we conceded against Leicester. The second especially lays bare how he is completely stealing a living, even as a tiny bit part of a wider malaise.

He is literally looking in the other direction, as the Leicester player shoots for goal.

He is the worst player we have signed since Roger Johnson, and that's a very crowded field of potential.
Phil Parkes' Gloves
Has liked: 1122 likes
Total likes: 305 likes

Post by Phil Parkes' Gloves »

ashbanki wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:44 pm I think it's all or nothing on Barkley,followed by "Don't go to bed" followed by "Oh how we tried!!" followed by "I have full confidence in the squad we have" followed by a proper injury update on all those "near full fitness" updates so far.
Absolutely this.

Antonio is headlining West Ham social media this afternoon now he's back in training. That'll be the striker Moyes wants crossed off the list by Sullivan. Then we'll see pictures of Fredericks back in training over the weekend, then possibly Wilshere next week so the 'right back' and 'midfielder' are also binned off.

Then, somewhen around the 1st or 2nd Feb, we'll read that all are some way short of full match fitness but will be availble for selection by mid-April to boost the manager's options.
Last edited by Phil Parkes' Gloves on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashbanki

Post by ashbanki »

On Sanchez ~ 2 managers have not fancied him, even when Noble has virtually ground to a halt (2nd half Vs Everton) or never even got up a head of steam (Sheff Utd away)
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

He also has a ridiculous 'just put one* out' facial expression that grinds my gears.

*yes, one of them.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Mitten wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:31 pm thanks - I thought we only had 1 space left? Cresswell, Noble, Wilshere, Fredericks, Martin, Antionio, Randolph? 1 more?
The limit isn't that you have to have a certain number of HG, it's that you can't have more than a certain number (17) of over 21 non-HG registered that means if you want to register 25 over age 21 players 8 have to be HG, but you can always register less than 25 and the empty spots are HG.

We have.,..
Fabianski
Reid
Balbuena
Zabaleta
Ogbonna
Diop
Masuaku
Lanzini
Snodgrass
Sanchez
Fornals
Yarmolenko
Anderson
Haller
Ajeti
Roberto (will come off now that he's loaned)
Cardoso(doesn't need to be registered due to age so we can replace him and he'd still be eligible to play)
ashbanki

Post by ashbanki »

hammer1975 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:51 pm Sanchez was terrible against Leicester reserves. 100% felt at the time we’d have won with anyone but him in holding midfield. Saying that, he’s not the main cause of our malaise and I totally agree we should set our sights higher than improving him. Sad to say it but we need someone who’s going to push Noble to the sub bench or be a first 11 player next to Noble and Rice.
It's not "sad to say"imo - He has been a fantastic player for us, but we are going to struggle to remember that as he is wheeled out week in week out, just to save a bit of money for Sullivan to waste on his ridiculous "vanity signings" - Noble needs to be used sparingly and enjoy the winding down of his career.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Oddly the part about transfers does not appear in the OS version (transcript) of the press conference.

That’s it lads. We’re not getting anyone.

Go to bed. -dg
foronceandfornals

Post by foronceandfornals »

First post but have been lurking on the forums for a while.

Cannot understand how backwards Sullivan, Gold + Brady can be in the face of what is arguably common knowledge that running a football club goes beyond the parameters of a 2001-2002 Championship Manager game.

Our training facilities alone would be a solid reason for fan outrage, but pairing it with the rest of our issues, lack of proper home ground, no investment, milking the club dry, asset stripping, it makes for dire reading. I think there's an argument for stripping things back to the bones and rethinking the training facilities, scouting network, physios, everything. We didn't have to pay for a stadium, imagine the difference £40m would make to our training facilities.

We have to acknowledge the effort + dedication from Noble, who in my opinion is still on his day a solid footballer but I think has played his part in passing the baton to Rice. Declan is twice the player Noble ever was, and if paired with a dynamic CM could really change the team.

Barring any nightmare injuries, I think that a dynamic CM signing could arguably start moving our club to the place we all want it to be going.

Top of my list would be Ibrahim Sangare from Toulouse, for all the reasons mentioned before, and also for the link to Diop. Diop has so much potential that having a friendly, familiar face ahead of him in midfield could do him the world of good. I'd play a 433 with a roaming front three (anderson/antonio/haller) and Fornals and Sangare ahead of Rice (Sangare can drop if needed).

Obviously, Berge would be a shrewd acquisition and would instantly make a huge difference too, as I'm sure Franck Kessie would. The team needs legs, and needs a bit of dynamism which any of these three would bring to the table.