The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I see we're linked to Joe Allen again.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I understand the desire to look to the Championship but for every Maupay that works there is an Adams, Hugill or Gayle that does not - certainly straight off the bat.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Linked with another journeyman joe allen,
I presume now hussilios is out of the picture we go back to the el sullivan scouting network.
Looks for a club that needs to sell players find stoke and will probably make a bid for him and butland.
A window where the like of sander berge and kessie from millan are available and we're looking at joe allen.
If the midfield isint resolved with 1 ideally 2 energetic athletic players I really dont get how they think we wont go down.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Joe Allen is just a poor mans Mark Noble...

We need someone physical, powerful, who can run all game... bring back Kouyate!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

He may be unfashionable but Joe Allen is a decent pro and would add a bit of bite to the midfield - something we're lacking at the moment. On top of that, he's already an experienced Premier League player so there'd be far less risk in terms of him settling in and adapting.

Victor Wanyama, Sander Berge, Isaac Hayden and Cheik Doucoure are the other midfield targets mentioned on Ex's new podcast.

He also mentions Javier Manquillo and Max Aarons as full-backs we're interested in. In the centre of defence, we apparently have an interest in Duffy and Dunk of Brighton, and also Aaron Long from MLS (we were also linked with him in the summer).

We've also watched Jarrod Bowen a few times and like him.

If we put all those players in order of value then start at the bottom, we should have an idea of who our top targets are.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

PlaistowIron wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:53 pm We need someone physical, powerful, who can run all game... bring back Kouyate!
Hmm... Ideally we'd be signing someone who can deliver more than 1 good game in 10...

Hey and if they can pass theball too... :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

PlaistowIron wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:53 pm Joe Allen is just a poor mans Mark Noble...

Absolutely, the geezer has no physical presence whatsoever. I am astonished his name is even being mentioned. I'll say it again, what we need is two big physical black players.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:31 pm I understand the desire to look to the Championship but for every Maupay that works there is an Adams, Hugill or Gayle that does not - certainly straight off the bat.
Are you specifically referring to strikers? (That said, I can't think of which Adams you mean).
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

I’m struggling to think of anyone beyond Doucoure for our midfield. He seriously ticks all the boxes...

Just need to go to Watford and say here’s £40m... and we’ll throw in Carlos Sanchez for good measure :wink:
CubanHammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by CubanHammer »

PlaistowIron wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:53 pm Joe Allen is just a poor mans Mark Noble...

Soucek from Slavia Prague fits the bill. Would love to see him in C&B.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

leer34 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:41 pm Linked with another journeyman joe allen,
I presume now hussilios is out of the picture we go back to the el sullivan scouting network.
Looks for a club that needs to sell players find stoke and will probably make a bid for him and butland.
A window where the like of sander berge and kessie from millan are available and we're looking at joe allen.
If the midfield isint resolved with 1 ideally 2 energetic athletic players I really dont get how they think we wont go down.
18 months ago the Scrooges spent nearly 3 years of their planned money to buy off the angry mob, hoping that they could coast thereafter. Pretty obvious for the most part it's back to punts and loanies sadly from now on, which I suspect has a lot to do with why prospective replacement managers have all been of the ilk that will be accepting of that depressing future. I doubt that they will even peddle the next level bs from now on and this will be the norm until they piss off or just the way it will be under they regime long term with the occasional spend at best from time to time.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 777 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

these targets feel much more david moyes than pellegrini to me. expect to see him grinning away with richard keys on BEIN sports if we lose a match in the next fortnight.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

I listened to The West Ham Way podcast with Ex for the first time. Was better than I thought it would be , Ex has a lot to say. I understand why people think he hedges his bets a little. It's quite a difficult listen though I found as he has this undulating tone and repeats his highs and lows at the same tempo throughout but I made it to the end. Maybe it's hypnotic.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:27 pm Are you specifically referring to strikers? (That said, I can't think of which Adams you mean).

Was a reference to strikers but you can probably apply it to most positions. Best Championship keeper last year was Randolph but he is at best back up in the Premier.

The Adams was Che, the Birmingham striker who many touted last season/summer. Scoring for fun against Championship defences but has really struggled since his move to Southampton.

Buying from the Championship requires either very good scouting to spot a real bargain or investing a good sum in a potential no brainer. Maddison for example is a perfect example of getting value for money yet the jury is probably still out on whether say Demarai Grey is a week in week out Premier player or just how good Chris Mepham really is.

Interesting the link with Aarons, he and Lewis were the next best thing as fullbacks in the Championship last season, looked awesome yet neither have looked totally comfortable week in week out in the Premier though I suspect given time they will come good.

It might be argued the best or one of the best Championship players this season is our own Grady, excellent as he has been I suspect had he been playing Premier week in week out he would have looked a very different player because he still has a habit of over complicating on occasions and giving the ball away. That is punished far harder at the higher level.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

My sister has been a Stoke fan for years (which is why she's so miserable) but is really happy about Allen and Butland being rumoured to go to us . Stoke fans regard both as liabilities, especially Butland who has lost them many matches with glaring amateurish mistakes (some far worse than Roberto). Allen just runs and puffs a lot and has little/no quality on the ball , terrible passing and no vision. To even consider buying these 2 failures is baffling.
Da Vinci
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Da Vinci »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:18 am But he's a left back!
Been playing DM a few times apparently and has impressed.
Graza

Post by Graza »

PlaistowIron wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:20 pm I’m struggling to think of anyone beyond Doucoure for our midfield. He seriously ticks all the boxes...

Just need to go to Watford and say here’s £40m... and we’ll throw in Carlos Sanchez for good measure :wink:
Us:Here's 40m.
Them:Ok.
Us:And we'll give you Sanchez.
Them:It's 80m.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

We should go for Grant from Huddersfield, 12 goals this season, already had a good impact for Huddersfield in the Premier League last season.

With Huddersfield not on their way back to promotion he would be keen to leave, and probably wouldn't cost massive amounts.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:16 am Like every transfer window we need to look at the championship more than we do. Maybe not that easy in January as clubs don't want to sell (esp those going for promotion) but certainly in the summer

Maupauy would have been a good signing for us last summer
I reckon two windows we’ve done that in the last 10 years, it suddenly felt like a plan but it never was really, it was a tail on the donkey which is how these muppets work
Aurora borealis
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Aurora borealis »

I just think we all should chill.
Whishes and all, we don't know ****... :thdn: