2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Billydinho

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by Billydinho » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:58 pm

dodger wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:20 am
Given that we’ve already beaten Man Utd and Chelsea, how do you figure those matches aren’t ‘winnable’?

I know it’s easier to despair and just give up, but there is a lack of realism from the defeatists in this thread. Apart from the Man City and Liverpool matches, we have a chance of picking up points in all other remaining fixtures. The league is much tighter this year in terms of ability.

The bookies are not stupid. We are 3/1 because it is still less likely we will go down than stay up.

We're f*cking dreadful that's why and we aren't strengthening. In fact, we have more injuries than before.

Also, Man United were in a wholly different place when we beat them and Chelsea, let's be honest with ourselves, was a fluke. Our record at Old Trafford is also abysmal. So is Moyes' when he just surrenders against the big boys.

Why do you think we should consider those winnable when we can't beat Leicester's reserves and a misfiring injury ravaged Everton?

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 pm

brownout wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:34 pm
Our two games in hand could actually drop us into bottom three with heavy defeats that are quite possible.
That's the spirit.

mc_unit

Post by mc_unit » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:02 pm

I don’t like the idea of relegation at all despite all the apparent positives if we do get relegated.

Ask any Sunderland, Leeds, Stoke et al. fans and I’m sure they will tell you were they would rather be.

I think a lot of fans have this assumption that we will get relegated the board will piss off and we will have our West Ham back. This is not the case. We will still be playing in a half empty bowl against the likes of Blackburn with little to look forward to. More so I have this feeling that we expect it will only be a year, as did Leeds, Sunderland, West Brom amongst others.

Be careful what we wish for, because things could get even worse.

I know I would rather watch the Premier league any day of the week and look forward to fixtures home and away against the top sides.

I can’t see myself being as half motivated looking at the upcoming fixtures for the forthcoming year if we go down.

mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:09 pm

Gsbgsb wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:11 am
The “Armageddon” talked of is financial. FFP in the Championship us a real bitch as the likes of Derby, Wednesday and QPR are discovering. You are allowed something like a £39m accumulated loss over the 3 proceeding years.

Everton lost something like £110m last year, were they to go down and assuming their previous two seasons were break even they would need a £70m profit to comply, that on a lesser income. You only get that by selling all your top wage earners etc and keeping a vast amount of any fee generated not reinvesting it in the team. I am not sure how our last 3 seasons P/L sits but I bet it is not pretty after the spending in MP’s first summer.

This is the gamble for the relegated big clubs - take the risk on not getting back and falling foul of FFP or gut the squad and were you to get promotion be an immediate favourite to go straight back down.
Haven’t we been making profit, selling our top earners and not reinvesting back in the team for some time now?

Surely we’re FFP ready for the championship?

LOS

Post by LOS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:10 pm

mc_unit wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:02 pm
I don’t like the idea of relegation at all despite all the apparent positives if we do get relegated.

Ask any Sunderland, Leeds, Stoke et al. fans and I’m sure they will tell you were they would rather be.
Yes, in a purpose built football stadium. There is no comparison between those temas you mention and West Ham anymore. West Ham don't play to complete, they play to survive.

Those clubs you mention may not be ripping up the top flight - but their identity is intact. And their fans know exactly where they stand.

mc_unit wrote:

I know I would rather watch the Premier league any day of the week and look forward to fixtures home and away against the top sides.

I can’t see myself being as half motivated looking at the upcoming fixtures for the forthcoming year if we go down.
Personally, I am a west ham fan regardless of the division they play. I support my club, not interested in the opposition.

I see lots of positives in relegation, and nothing but the status quo in survival.

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:28 pm

I am at a complete loss as to why people are desperate to stay in the league. Have you not learnt anything since the move?

As long as they have minimal outgoings and are creaming Premier League money in every year then they're just pointing and laughing at us.

Why stay in a league for the sake of staying in it when you're not giving it a decent go?

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:30 pm

mrbluesky wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:09 pm
Haven’t we been making profit, selling our top earners and not reinvesting back in the team for some time now?

Surely we’re FFP ready for the championship?
I'm sure we're the only club worrying about FFP in the Premier League and I really can't work out why.

I can think of three, maybe four players on more than £100k (Wilshere, Zabaleta, Haller, Anderson) which is pretty average nowadays.

And our club declared a £40 million profit the other year. I'm sure we aren't doing that bad.

LOS

Post by LOS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:31 pm

Billydinho wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:28 pm
I am at a complete loss as to why people are desperate to stay in the league. Have you not learnt anything since the move?

As long as they have minimal outgoings and are creaming Premier League money in every year then they're just pointing and laughing at us.

Why stay in a league for the sake of staying in it when you're not giving it a decent go?
^^^ And then fans dont wanna go because we are in a differernt league. Are these people West Ham fans, or premier league fans ?

After the influx of Premier League tourists at our new gaff, if relegation meant purging them - then bring it on.

mc_unit

Post by mc_unit » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Regardless if tourist's come or go that's a poor reason to want to get relegated.

So they might stay away if we get relegated for one season. What happens if we get promoted again, tourist visitors increase and you want to get relegated again?

hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Post by hadleighhammer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:44 pm

mc_unit wrote:
You'd rather watch us get smashed by Man City's superstars than West Ham vs Millwall derby? :eh:

mc_unit

Post by mc_unit » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:48 pm

At this rate its more likely Millwall will be the ones being smashed by City, but we can always look forward to a derby against QPR or Charlton.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:49 pm

hadleighhammer wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:44 pm
You'd rather watch us get smashed by Man City's superstars than West Ham vs Millwall derby? :eh:

Millwall anyday,...…………….. but we could change places with them this season
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodford

Post by woodford » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:55 pm

hadleighhammer wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:44 pm
this is the weird thing. We do get smashed by the big teams because we seem to lose the game before any of us even get to the stadium. Never understood this, and its been going on for years . There's no spirit, no fight , no motivation. To me that's more the reason we are where we are, rather than all our players suddenly being pub team standard.

The midget and his slimey mates just seem to have that cloud over them and i'm not even sure that spending money would necessarily change that .

We could turn Virgil Van Dyke into Virgil Tracy from Thunderbirds

Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:11 pm

mc_unit wrote:

I do not know you at all but assume you are a fairly young supporter (nothing wrong with that by the way, we all were once), brought up on the premier league/Sky TV diet, is that correct ?

What you are effectively saying here is you don't really support West Ham, more so the Premier League, but use the club as a vehicle to watch the "top sides" and would be less motivated to watch West Ham if they dropped down a division.

Bit sad that

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:31 pm

As has been said, “be careful what you wish for”.

My major concern, amongst the usual ones about relegation, is that unlike previous times, what we are seeing right now is what we will get in the Championship. This is, the manager and players we have won’t change. Sure, we’ll have to more than consider offers for Fabianski, Rice, Fornals, Anderson and Haller. We’ll also undoubtedly release the players who are out of contract. But that still leaves us with a very identifiable 14/15 players. These include Randolph, Martin, Fredricks, Cresswell, Masuaku, Reid, Balbuena, Oggy, Noble, Snodders, Antonio, Ajeti. The likes of Diangana and Cullen would be brought back having proven themselves in the Championship, maybe Hugill. At that point, from funds raised from sales you can purchase players like Joe Allen and top up team with loans and freebies from the bottom of the PL. we will play protective football with a view to keeping competitive in the top six, and will take promotion any which way it might come.

This will mean some disastrously boring games at the OS, potentially some awful banana skins fixtures, total irreverence to the cups. And on top of that, I wouldn’t be sure it to be a situation that would work.

mc_unit

Post by mc_unit » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Regardless if I am young or not is irrelevant.

Having less of a motivation to watch us play poor Championship sides would be considered normal. Does it stop me supporting our side, No.. does it stop me following them home or away, no again.

Do you get the same buzz beating Blackburn away then beating Manchester United or Spurs away??

I never quoted West Ham being a vehicle to watch against the big sides.

I prefer watching us playing against the top sides, regardless if we win or lose.

So no I disagree, its not a bit sad.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:39 pm

i think the allure of relegation is that to many of us it feels like something absolutely catastrophic has happened to the club already, something that isn't captured by the sky cameras. relegation and all its consequences would merely reflect how we feel.

i don't want to go down, but i would imagine it would bring everyone onto the same plane as those of us who consider the trudge to the dome worse than any punishment that poor performances could result in.

it's the same with the owners. i wouldn't care even if they had the best interests of the supporters and the club in mind when they put a century of history into the noose, through either malice, greed or poor judgement they've commited a unforgivable act on this club and need to be hounded out accordingly.

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Post by MB » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:47 pm

mc_unit wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Do you get the same buzz beating Blackburn away then beating Manchester United or Spurs away??

I never quoted West Ham being a vehicle to watch against the big sides.

I prefer watching us playing against the top sides, regardless if we win or lose.
So then change the first sentence I have quoted above to losing to Manchester United or Spurs away. Same buzz?

You prefer watching Liverpool beat us 4-0 to us beating Charlton 1-0?

Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:48 pm

At Upton Park I wouldn't have minded getting relegated, but the prospect of going to watch West Ham v Rotherham on a Tuesday night at the OS has to be one of the most unappealing ways to spend a midweek evening I can think of.

LOS

Post by LOS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Knighter10WHU wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:48 pm
the prospect of going to watch West Ham on a Tuesday night at the OS has to be one of the most unappealing ways to spend a midweek evening I can think of.
Fixed for you :lol: