2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Post Reply
HammerAl
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by HammerAl » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 pm

In the PL, you either need your players to be:

- able to defend
- able to play
- able to run

The best teams have a combination of all three. Unfortunately, we have none.

You also need your owners to invest well (they don’t) and a manager to inspire your players (jury’s out).

The whole club is a complete recipe for disaster and relegation beckons. As I’ve said before, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

User avatar
Westbourne Bill
Posts: 5205
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:49 pm
Location: W Sussex

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by Westbourne Bill » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 pm

Can’t believe Watford are still shorter odds to go down than us.
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... relegation

User avatar
Westbourne Bill
Posts: 5205
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:49 pm
Location: W Sussex

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by Westbourne Bill » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:47 pm

Can’t believe Watford are still shorter odds to go down than us.
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... relegation

User avatar
smuts
Posts: 22681
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:28 am
Location: East, East, East London

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by smuts » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:49 pm

The only real plus for me is knowing the utter shame and humiliation that will be inflicted on GSB.

How could any business hire Brady for one of her vacuous speeches when she's been the part time CEO of a club given a 60k stadium for free with a peppercorn rent and relegates us 3 years later?

G and S will go down in history as two of the most inept owners in PL history and even the Venky brothers would look better.

JerseyHammer
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: Italy

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by JerseyHammer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Swiss Pauli wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:02 pm
Moyes's bankers are:

Brighton H
Burnley H
Norwich A
Watford H
Villa H

Four wins and a draw = 17 points = 40 in total.

Unless we manage some other wins then it could come down to winning two out of our last three games. Squeak
Maths aside, there is nothing about us at the moment that suggests we can beat even one of those sides. Everyone will see us as their best chance for 3 points since the dawn of time

User avatar
BondsoBob
Posts: 3791
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Folkestone, Kent,

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by BondsoBob » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:51 pm

It's never over till it's over, but it's hard to see us getting out of it now.

User avatar
il_martello_di_genovesi
Posts: 10788
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: genova è solo blucerchiata.

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:53 pm

The team we started with was pathetic. A couple of injuries in the wrong place and our woeful squad depth is exposed. No quality, no creativity, no pace, no plan, no effort. If we do not add a couple of good signings we are toast. To think some wanted to ‘roll the dice’ with what we have? The dice we are rolling doesn’t have a 5 or 6 on it. Shameful. I honestly can’t stand half this team. Haller, Lanzini, Sanchez, Balbuena etc. Absolute effortless toss.

neathiron
Posts: 1983
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:25 pm
Location: Somewhere In Time on the Sea Of Madness

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by neathiron » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Know there's still a lot of points to play for but after that mauling tonight it's done and dusted for me. The teams around us seem to be picking up wins and what with our bad run of fixtures coming up, pretty soon we're gonna be stuck in that bottom 3.
Obviously our owners can't be too bothered about being relegated otherwise they would have done business in the transfer market by now!
Make no mistake, when we start next season in the Championship, we'll probably get outplayed and outmuscled in the majority of games. We look knackered after playing 1 game a week, we've got no chance playing 2 in a week. Anyone who thinks we'll bounce straight back is deluded. Can see us being stuck down there for as long as Leeds have been.
Last edited by neathiron on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ParkersHere
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by ParkersHere » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:59 pm

Down by the end of March.. Going down will mean a clear out. Get rid of some deadwood

muskie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by muskie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm

4 wins and a draw = 17 points? :( :? :o

We really are ****ed.

User avatar
europeanscum
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:56 am
Location: worldwide

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by europeanscum » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:05 pm

smuts wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:49 pm
The only real plus for me is knowing the utter shame and humiliation that will be inflicted on GSB.

How could any business hire Brady for one of her vacuous speeches when she's been the part time CEO of a club given a 60k stadium for free with a peppercorn rent and relegates us 3 years later?

G and S will go down in history as two of the most inept owners in PL history and even the Venky brothers would look better.
this tbh

Online
Crouchend_Hammer
Posts: 13178
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 pm

i always felt the chances of staying up with Pelligrini were 80%+
Under Moyes, i think we are now more like 50/50

User avatar
bubbles1966
Posts: 49816
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by bubbles1966 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:09 pm

I could gladly do a relegation.

The upsides in killing the London 'brand' and ensuring that things go back to core outweigh the negatives by some considerable margin.

It might entice me to get a season ticket again.

User avatar
claretchris
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: Penarth

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by claretchris » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:11 pm

By the start of April we could be dead and buried...

User avatar
Believer
Posts: 5735
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by Believer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:11 pm

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:53 pm
The team we started with was pathetic. A couple of injuries in the wrong place and our woeful squad depth is exposed. No quality, no creativity, no pace, no plan, no effort. If we do not add a couple of good signings we are toast. To think some wanted to ‘roll the dice’ with what we have? The dice we are rolling doesn’t have a 5 or 6 on it. Shameful. I honestly can’t stand half this team. Haller, Lanzini, Sanchez, Balbuena etc. Absolute effortless toss.
Agree. I'd start auctioning off Haller, Anderson, Sanchez in fact most of the squad.

I'd offer Rice the captaincy to try and keep him for a year (I know they'll cash in but...) and make Noble club captain. I'd build the team around Fab, Diop, Fornals, Antonio, Ogbonna, Diangana, Cordova, Holland and Ajeti. I'd then go all out to buy the very best of the championship.

However, we will no doubt line up next season with Zab and Cresswell at LB, Balbuena and Reid at CH, Allen, Snodgrass, Nzonzi and Noble in midfield with The come back kid Carroll and Billy Sharp up front !

The Dave's and Karren will all have nice new Bentleys though !
Last edited by Believer on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
il_martello_di_genovesi
Posts: 10788
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: genova è solo blucerchiata.

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:13 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 pm
i always felt the chances of staying up with Pelligrini were 80%+
Under Moyes, i think we are now more like 50/50
The man who led us to defeats against a bottom 3 Everton side, a piss poor Newcastle team, a Burnley team who had lost 5 from 6, a Leicester reserve team, a pathetically poor Arsenal team. He was a clueless moron with his hair, golf skills and bank balance the only thing left intact.

User avatar
OFT
Posts: 12901
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Sleepin’ in a bayou on a old rotten cot

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by OFT » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:15 pm

neathiron wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 pm
Know there's still a lot of points to play for but after that mauling tonight it's done and dusted for me. The teams around us seem to be picking up wins and what with our bad run of fixtures coming up, pretty soon we're gonna be stuck in that bottom 3.
Obviously our owners can't be too bothered about being relegated otherwise they would have done business in the transfer market by now!
Make no mistake, when we start next season in the Championship, we'll probably get outplayed and outmuscled in the majority of games. We look knackered after playing 1 game a week, we've got no chance playing 2 in a week. Anyone who thinks we'll bounce straight back is deluded. Can see us being stuck down there for as long as Leeds have been.
As I've posted in the 'positivity' thread, I've embraced it now mate. Que Sera and all that malarky

User avatar
TheHandOfDog
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by TheHandOfDog » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm

muskie wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm
4 wins and a draw = 17 points?

We really are ****ed.
:lol:

User avatar
brothernero
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: Essex

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by brothernero » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:19 pm

muskie wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm
4 wins and a draw = 17 points? :( :o

We really are ****ed.
I guess you are not Rachel Riley in disguise. :wink:

User avatar
OFT
Posts: 12901
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Sleepin’ in a bayou on a old rotten cot

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by OFT » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 pm

brothernero wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:19 pm
I guess you are not Rachel Riley in disguise. :wink:
:lol:

Post Reply