2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

szola

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by szola » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:09 am

If we continue to drop points from winning positions, we haven't got a chance

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:19 am

I think we should really be odds on to go down now but there’s some money to be had if you want to soften the blow.
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... relegation

goa127

Post by goa127 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:46 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 am
Just out of interest Pezza, why do you think it will be a low total to stay up?

I would have thought in a season where one or two teams get loads of points, and everyone else is sharing points that the bottom the total will be higher?

The results couldn't have gone better for us yesterday, and if Spurs beat Villa next weekend then basically the game against Man City is even more of a free hit than it was to start with
When there's a lot of teams fighting at the bottom the points total is usually low. A high total happens when you get a couple of teams at the bottom who everyone gets at least 4 points against. Liverpool beating everyone essentially takes 6 points out of the equation.

mattyD

Post by mattyD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:56 am

We need two of Bournemouth, Watford, Villa and Brighton to be worse than us (assuming Norwich don't dramatically improve). It's possible but I can't see it.

EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 am

Think we might stay up by the skin of our teeth. But then what? Same again next season? Great.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm

goa127 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:46 am
When there's a lot of teams fighting at the bottom the points total is usually low. A high total happens when you get a couple of teams at the bottom who everyone gets at least 4 points against. Liverpool beating everyone essentially takes 6 points out of the equation.
I get that, but surely teams are taking more points off the other 'top' teams than usual...

i think we will stumble to 37 points so we will see if that is enough or not!

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:04 pm

No matter how hard I look I just can't see us staying up.
Oh well, never mind. Seen it 5 times before. Headbanger

sutts07

Post by sutts07 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:08 pm

Norwich
Liverpool H
Wolves A
Leicester H
Sheff Utd A
Southampton H
Everton H
Arsenal A
Brighton H
Watford A
West Ham H
Chelsea A
Burnley H
Man City A
Only really three or four that look winnable (one of those being against us!), you'd have to say we will finish above Norwich.

Watford
Man Utd A
Liverpool H
Palace A
Leicester H
Burnley A
Southampton H
Chelsea A
Norwich H
Newcastle H
West Ham A
Man City H
Arsenal A
Only really three or four of those that look winnable too although I can see them getting a few draws. You'd have to say we will finish above Watford as long as we beat them at home.

Villa
Spurs H
Southampton A
Sheff Utd H
Leicester A
Chelsea H
Newcastle A
Wolves H
Liverpool A
Man Utd H
Palace H
Everton A
Arsenal H
West Ham A
Actually think Villa have the toughest games remaining and I can't see them getting many wins. Again, beat them at home and we should finish above them.

Bournemouth
Burnley A
Chelsea H
Liverpool A
Palace H
Wolves A
Newcastle H
Man Utd A
Spurs H
Leicester H
Man City A
Southampton H
Everton A
As above, tough to see where Bournemouth in their current state are going to pull a few wins out of the bag. You'd only back them in 3 or 4 of those games.

Brighton
Sheff Utd A
Palace H
Wolves A
Arsenal H
Leicester A
Man Utd H
Norwich A
Liverpool H
Man City H
Southampton A
Newcastle H
Burnley A
Considering what I have said about the above teams, they might not have to do too much to stay up. Seem to have the better of the run ins too.

West Ham
Man City A
Liverpool A
Southampton H
Arsenal A
Wolves H
Spurs A
Chelsea H
Newcastle A
Burnley H
Norwich A
Watford H
Man Utd A
Villa H

Remaining games are all much of a muchness for all of those involved so it will come down to the head to heads. With Watford and Villa both having to come to us, you'd hope that would work to our advantage. Win those two along with home games against Burnley and Southampton, plus go to Norwich and get something as well as picking up a surprise point here and there from the tough games, then that should be enough to keep us above at least three clubs.

Some huge games for us to come.
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammers92

Post by hammers92 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm

The enthusiasm for our home games and picking up points is baffling. We've shown no evidence that we can beat the sides around us on our own patch. The Brighton and Newcastle games should show that.

I think those around us will quite fancy themselves coming to Stratford.

sutts07

Post by sutts07 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 pm

hammers92 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm
The enthusiasm for our home games and picking up points is baffling. We've shown no evidence that we can beat the sides around us on our own patch. The Brighton and Newcastle games should show that.
The first half against Brighton was encouraging. If we can somehow manage to get everyone playing at that level for 90mins, we will be fine.

Huge IF though, as we seem to die on our arse at 60mins.

Swiss Pauli

Post by Swiss Pauli » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Looking at their fixtures, I can see Newcastle playing a big role in the relegation dogfight:

21 Mar H v VIlla
04 Apr A v Bournemouth
11 Apr H v WHU

Mess all three up and they're right down there (they play Watford away on 25 Apr). Lose the first two and beat us then we're really stuffed.

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:43 pm

At least it's gonna be exciting. :)

hammerddh

Post by hammerddh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:16 am

hammers92 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm

I think those around us will quite fancy themselves coming to Stratford.
Spot on.
I wager if you asked the other 19 clubs choose a ground to go and get three points i bet West Ham would come out on top no question.

Big Pitch, team devoid of any confidence, go into panic mode if happen to go in front, Zero atmosphere at best and open revolt at worst

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:39 am

West Ham
Man City A L
Liverpool A L
Southampton H D
Arsenal A L
Wolves H L
Spurs A L
Chelsea H L
Newcastle A D
Burnley H D
Norwich A D
Watford H L
Man Utd A L
Villa H D

I DONT GET THIS FEELING WE ARE STAYING UP !
all the teams around us seem to have more fight and have an atmosphere when they play at home. we have neither.
so unless bowen hits the ground running and scores a lot I cant see much difference from above.

we have to rely on haller being interested - he shows little signs of that or any movement.
lanzini is half the player he was
diop has gone backwards
oggy making a few mistakes now
cresswell - is no longer reliable
noble too slow now ,talks a good game only
rice trying to cover everywhere but will be thinking of a move soon
fornals was playing well but dropped by moyes for lanzini
Snodgrass playing well tries hard but runs out of gas. if only haller would try like him. HOTY for me.
Antonio great when fit.
ajeti who knows, not give a chance.
zabaleta too old and slow now.
sanchez - "£$%^&*( useless

so where are the players who will get us out of this mess apart from rice Antonio and snoddy >

we are going down.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:23 pm

hammerman11 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:39 am
West Ham
Man City A L
Liverpool A L
Southampton H D
Arsenal A L
Wolves H L
Spurs A L
Chelsea H L
Newcastle A D
Burnley H D
Norwich A D
Watford H L
Man Utd A L
Villa H D

I DONT GET THIS FEELING WE ARE STAYING UP !
all the teams around us seem to have more fight and have an atmosphere when they play at home. we have neither.
so unless bowen hits the ground running and scores a lot I cant see much difference from above.

we have to rely on haller being interested - he shows little signs of that or any movement.
lanzini is half the player he was
diop has gone backwards
oggy making a few mistakes now
cresswell - is no longer reliable
noble too slow now ,talks a good game only
rice trying to cover everywhere but will be thinking of a move soon
fornals was playing well but dropped by moyes for lanzini
Snodgrass playing well tries hard but runs out of gas. if only haller would try like him. HOTY for me.
Antonio great when fit.
ajeti who knows, not give a chance.
zabaleta too old and slow now.
sanchez - "£$%^&*( useless

so where are the players who will get us out of this mess apart from rice Antonio and snoddy >

we are going down.
Apart from that being the most peessemistic list of predictions ever, you left out souchec and bowen from the playing staff list.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:59 am

goa127 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:23 pm
Apart from that being the most peessemistic list of predictions ever, you left out souchec and bowen from the playing staff list.
He doesn't really think we won't win another game, Hammerbot is just feeding off the negativity on the forum atm.

student_hammer

Post by student_hammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 am

It’s weird. As a totality of fixtures it doesn’t look that much worse than any of the other run ins. Out of 13 games. Roughly half look winnable and half look
Tough to get a result. What you’d expect.

The issue i think we have is not who we play but the order we play them in. Undoubtedly our next 7 games are much more difficult than the last 6. Southampton at home looks the most winnable out of the next 7, and out of the last 6, manu is the toughest.

My concern is the Psychological damage a bad run of results will have on the squad over the next 7 games, and how the table will Look. fail to win any of those or maybe pick up 1 win at best and we could be cut adrift of safety or at least have a Gap opening up. As we all know it’s about momentum, and these tough games coming up, aren’t going to allow us to build up any momentum at all heading into the winnable games. Moyes might well still be tinkering with the team in vein. and the lack of consistency and positivity that we can get the results to keep us up, could do some Damage. But 4 wins out of the last 6 could be enough to still Keep us up. We could end up Leaving our survival really late, or could it be too late? Another great escape on our hands with a season defining win away at old Trafford? Here’s hoping .

woodford

Post by woodford » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am

thejackhammer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:59 am
He doesn't really think we won't win another game, Hammerbot is just feeding off the negativity on the forum atm.
It was a fantastic "double - lister"

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:29 am

I just want these next 2 matches out the way and then I think we'll do enough to stay up. After the Liverpool game, he'll have had 8 league matches - 5 of which will have been against sides currently sitting in the top 5. That's a terrible run when you're trying to move up the table! After those 2 games, this place will be even more depressing than it is now.

Stick with it though and be patient... things will change. We'll stay up.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 am

so where do you see the wins coming from ?
I didn't rate soucek or bowen as they have only just arrived although soucek looked good on his debut.
however the next two games will hardly improve our morale or teamwork.
Southampton is a huge game but you need tough players and mental strength for such a game after the run we are on and the two expected beatings coming up. do we have the players to roll up their sleeves and dig out a performance or will the heads drop ? do we have a manager that will inspire our players ? I think not unless moyes goes on about how good he was at everton !
he doesn't mention his recent failures and the turgid football played !

down we are going unless there are miracles !