2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Re: 2019/2020 Relegation Thread

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 am

I wonder whether we will beat the Avram year of 2010/11. when we finished rock bottom on just 33 points?

For the record, that year we won just 7 matches all season, drew 12 and lost 19, with a GD of -27. I think it's gonna be close

chigwells finest
Location: desperately seeking redemption from this west ham misery

Post by chigwells finest » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 am

goa127 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:23 pm
Apart from that being the most peessemistic list of predictions ever, you left out souchec and bowen from the playing staff list.
he must be a great bag of laughs

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 am

hammers92 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm
The enthusiasm for our home games and picking up points is baffling. We've shown no evidence that we can beat the sides around us on our own patch. The Brighton and Newcastle games should show that.

I think those around us will quite fancy themselves coming to Stratford.
We've shown no evidence of losing against sides around us either. We've played 3 of them under Moyes. We've won 1 and drew 2. We'd have done even better than that had it not been for the comical individual mistakes against Brighton. So we've actually picked up points in all 3 matches - just not as many as we'd have liked.

So long as we don't go and draw every match between now and the end of the season, we'll be fine. A few 3 points and a few 1 points will see us stay up. We'll probably end up losing some that we should be winning, and winning some that we thought we'd lose. That's football for you. If it was predictable then I'd have made a fortune betting.

spod

Post by spod » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 am
We've shown no evidence of losing against sides around us either. We've played 3 of them under Moyes. We've won 1 and drew 2. We'd have done even better than that had it not been for the comical individual mistakes against Brighton. So we've actually picked up points in all 3 matches - just not as many as we'd have liked.

So long as we don't go and draw every match between now and the end of the season, we'll be fine. A few 3 points and a few 1 points will see us stay up. We'll probably end up losing some that we should be winning, and winning some that we thought we'd lose. That's football for you. If it was predictable then I'd have made a fortune betting.
I quite like this optimistic version of you, Burnley. But I think you're clutching at straws a bit.
The Bournemouth result was excellent, but if you set it aside (partly because Moyes himself didn't claim credit for it) his five most recent league matches have seen a return of zero points from three current top-six teams, and two points from two other teams.
If we're looking to survive, we'd look at Sheff U and Leicester away, and Liverpool at home, and hope for something. A hard-fought draw or even a fluky win. But we lost them all with a 7-1 aggregate score. From home games against Everton and Brighton, you need a win.
I do understand that he's had a tough hand to play since he got here. Rapid-fire fixtures, a chaotic window and no staff. But we don't have time.
From now on, post-break (and post-Liverpool), results have to improve immediately or we won't stay up.
In all fairness, I'm going to keep my powder dry until we've played Southampton and Wolves. We need to have won at least one game by then, and probably two. If we haven't, we'll be adrift, and there's no argument for hiring Moyes as far as I can see.

Marlow Vaderman

Post by Marlow Vaderman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:18 am

spod wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 am
I quite like this optimistic version of you, Burnley. But I think you're clutching at straws a bit.
The Bournemouth result was excellent, but if you set it aside (partly because Moyes himself didn't claim credit for it) his five most recent league matches have seen a return of zero points from three current top-six teams, and two points from two other teams.
If we're looking to survive, we'd look at Sheff U and Leicester away, and Liverpool at home, and hope for something. A hard-fought draw or even a fluky win. But we lost them all with a 7-1 aggregate score. From home games against Everton and Brighton, you need a win.
I do understand that he's had a tough hand to play since he got here. Rapid-fire fixtures, a chaotic window and no staff. But we don't have time.
From now on, post-break (and post-Liverpool), results have to improve immediately or we won't stay up.
In all fairness, I'm going to keep my powder dry until we've played Southampton and Wolves. We need to have won at least one game by then, and probably two. If we haven't, we'll be adrift, and there's no argument for hiring Moyes as far as I can see.
Dave Whelan, Wigan Chairman always said “follow the money”
Write down the turnover/expenditures of the PL clubs from high to low and seal n an envelope in August, and come May you’ll have a fairly accurate table predictor.
Cash = points = prizes

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/repo ... ey-stakes/

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere
👍🏻

Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 am

We have quite a large disadvantage of all the relegation threatened teams, as all our remaining fixtures will be played away from home.

That makes it tough.

Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 am

We have quite a large disadvantage of all the relegation threatened teams, as all our remaining fixtures will be played away from home.

That makes it tough.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm

our current points total is 24 from 25 games. If we continue without improvement we'll probably get 36/37 points. So we're only asking for a small improvement to reach 40 points. If we get worse then we deserve to go down. My point is, we don't need a great escape a la Leicester who were on 17 points after 28 games (winning 7 out of their last 10) we just need to be a bit better.

Upton Carp

Post by Upton Carp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:45 pm

Plashet Grove Pete wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:28 am
Palace are struggling, but they've also got something we haven't ..... 30 points. We're 6 behind with an inferior goal difference, and our next 2 against City and Liverpool will only make that worse. They would have to implode spectacularly (or we will have to play out of our skins) for us to finish above them.
,,,Palace are struggling, but they've also got something we haven't ..... Wilf Zaha!

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 am

Palace have also got something else we haven't.
A little bit of fight and bollox about them.
We have neither. Headbanger

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 am

all the teams around us have some fight and spirit , things we seem to be lacking in all but a few of our players.

brighton - well organised have a pattern of play, fighters and energetic team.
Norwich - playing well but cant defend, but have spirit
Watford - have some good players who are actually trying now. troy deeney is a good leader for them
villa - fighters and have the superb jack grealish
palace - 6 points ahead but compete in all games

west ham - awful board, fans protesting, terrible non atmospheric stadium, lazy unfit players, few battlers in the team.on a terrible run of form which is set to get worse by -10 goals in the next two games.

out of that lot my 3 to go are west ham, Norwich and villa.

our next few games
man city away
Liverpool away
Southampton home
wolves home
arsenal away

forget the away games . Southampton and wolves will be too good for us, we may get a point but would not be surprised to see us lose the next 5 games. when does moyes get sacked and Nolan takes over ?

London Fields Hammer

Post by London Fields Hammer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 am

BondsoBob wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 am
Palace have also got something else we haven't.
A little bit of fight and bollox about them.
We have neither. Headbanger
That's why we bought Soucek and Bowen isn't it?

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:15 am

hammerman11 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 am
all the teams around us have some fight and spirit , things we seem to be lacking in all but a few of our players.

Watford - have some good players who are actually trying now. troy deeney is a good leader for them

west ham - awful board, fans protesting, terrible non atmospheric stadium, lazy unfit players, few battlers in the team.on a terrible run of form which is set to get worse by -10 goals in the next two games.

out of that lot my 3 to go are west ham, Norwich and villa.

our next few games
man city away
Liverpool away
Southampton home
wolves home
arsenal away

forget the away games . Southampton and wolves will be too good for us, we may get a point but would not be surprised to see us lose the next 5 games. when does moyes get sacked and Nolan takes over ?
You can add, no leaders and no energy to that list too. The other evening, I looked at our team during the Redknapp years of the mid to late 90's, when we also faced relegation under his stewardship on more then one occasion and whatever one's views about him, we still had Julian Dicks and Johnny Monks and one or two others too with a bit of balls and bite about them in our team and you always felt that would see us over the line, but I just dont see any of that with this team

rare as rockinghorse shat

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am

wib

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 am

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am
wib
That's a better contribution that you usually make.

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:05 am

hammerman11 wrote:

If those teams are so full of spirit and so great at fighting then why are they all down fighting relegation with us?
hammerman11 wrote:
Because Kevin Nolan has a proven track record of getting Premier League teams fighting their way out of relegation? You think he'd play entertaining football? He'll just be a new figure to blame. Fair enough if you think Moyes is no longer a good manager - but Kevin Nolan is a long way from proving himself to be one too. He did a decent job with Orient, and started well with Notts County before losing his way in the second season. His only credentials are that he's used to working under terrible owners.

We most likely will lose our next two games, but there's still reason to be positive. There's a lot of points to play for after that and your posts are about as pessimistic as you can get. We may go down (I don't think we will) but if we do, we'll still do better than what you've predicted.

Soulman58

Post by Soulman58 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Turns to Stone wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 am

That makes it tough.

It may end up a bonus as the H games may be too pressurised with a toxic or dead atmosphere. Having said that I'd still back us to go down! :x

Soulman58

Post by Soulman58 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45 pm

goa127 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm
our current points total is 24 from 25 games. If we continue without improvement we'll probably get 36/37 points. So we're only asking for a small improvement to reach 40 points. If we get worse then we deserve to go down. My point is, we don't need a great escape a la Leicester who were on 17 points after 28 games (winning 7 out of their last 10) we just need to be a bit better.
I don't disagree with the thinking, I just struggle to see us picking up points unless the new singings and a few returning from injury have a massive impact.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:45 pm

London Fields Hammer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 am
That's why we bought Soucek and Bowen isn't it?
A few weeks at West Ham and they'll be just as lazy and lethargic as the rest of them. :|

Stevo44

Post by Stevo44 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 am

I welcome death.... :scarfer:

:lol: