West Ham Utd 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Re: West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread 23/11/2019

Post by Diogenes »

Day after observations.
All three of Spurs goals ended up being a one on one in which their forward won each time. Diop involved twice, Creswell once.
Andersen continually bottling shooting and tackling (why the hell did he try and pass to Haller when one on one with keeper?)
The times Spurs picked out a pass to a forward standing between our midfield and defence.
The times Haller failed to control a simple ball or got caught offside whilst strolling back.
Performance slightly better than past four. Ogbonna, Snodgrass, Rice, Noble and Antonio our best players (for me at least).
No idea how Pellegrini can turn this around whilst he continues with same tactics/formation.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

he wont turn it around. its up to sully now to decide how to spend his money. 20m to pelle for jan window by which time we will be at least 19th or spend it on a new manager and compo for the senile one !

the truth is we have played well only once against Norwich who are in the bottom 3
we were lucky to beat a Watford side also down there
we beat a woeful man utd side

the whole season has been a mess and we have had an easy start apart from the practice game for city.

next weekend we face a team who are all about movement and pace. expect pelle to bring back zabaleta and sanchez !
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Doing OK until conceding the first goal has been the story of our game at the pit.
Graza

Post by Graza »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:51 am Doing OK until conceding the first goal has been the story of our game at the pit.
This is so very very true. Oh for the days of Pardew when dropping the first goal meant a come from behind victory....
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 amthe 2 goals paper over the cracks and if I was moaniho I would be worried that a crap west ham can score 2 goals and nearly get a draw
That was my take on the game too. Spurs should be worried. They didn't look particularly great and I think we made them look a hell of a lot better than they are.

Roberto was terrible. If he can be a Premier League goalie then so can I. As for the rest of them, Haller was a major disappointment, his first touch was shocking at times. Our midfield is woeful. Noble showed signs of improvement but overall it was shocking, Spurs ran riot through it at times. Same goes for our defence. The only improvement came when Antonio came on but apart from that there's very little positives to take away from that game. There's no sense of urgency, no determination and most importantly what looks like a loss of confidence in some of the players, especially in defence.

Pellegrini is starting to annoy me now with his tactics or more importantly, his refusal to change anything. His player choices on match days are baffling at times and the cynic in my thinks he just doesn't study other teams before we play them and exploit their weaknesses. That's the only explanation I can come up with. I really hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not, then we really are doomed.

Chelsea will annihilate us next game with their movement, passing and options up front and in midfield. Sort it out West Ham !!!
Graza wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:13 am Oh for the days of Pardew
Don't even go there FFS.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 848 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

It's not often I agree with Shearer but his post match comments on MOTD were on the money.
We are embarrassingly bad right now. Noble knows it too and at least he says it how it is.
delbert
Has liked: 696 likes
Total likes: 693 likes

Post by delbert »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:51 am Doing OK until conceding the first goal has been the story of our game at the pit.
We couldn't have been that OK or we wouldn't have conceded, saying that we now only wake up once we've conceded 2 or 3. We was starting matches at a 100mph, now we are starting them like an asthmatic Trabant.......
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 191 likes

Post by Prob »

Our defensive just don’t trust our keeper which you can see from one of the goals. Diop looked back at him with the ball then did something else that cost us that goal.

The early yellow on Diop as well put him out of the game
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

It’s quite evident that the defence don’t trust the keeper however that shouldn’t mean they get away with their own woeful performances both as a collective and individuals. Ogbonna is the only one out of that back line who can come out the game with a semblance of credit. Fredericks lost the ball time and time again, Diop was a disgrace in doing the bare basics for a centre back and Cresswell non-existent. Considering how pathetic Balbuena has been in recent weeks, I’d seriously consider starting how we ended and have Rice alongside Ogbonna with Sanchez holding in our next game.

I hated the whole day yesterday. The embarrassing ‘hard men’ from both sets of supporters on the walk up who give it large behind 3 coppers (if you want it, do it, not just mouth), the sterile atmosphere, lack of determination on the pitch and dreadful VAR. This was not a West Ham v Tottenham game as I knew it. I’ve been threatening it for a while but after 18 years, this will be my last as a season ticket holder.
Last edited by ChzMff on Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:13 am Don't even go there FFS.
I don't mean anything else about his reign, the culture or anything else. But that first season back up we played like a team possessed. Goal down, goal up 100% effort.

Wouldn't have him back, but how we could do with some of that attitude and spirit right now.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Having watched it again, Spurs looked even more **** than when I was in the stadium. How ****ing bad are we to be 3-0 down at home to them at one point...

Also, no way Fredericks tackle was a red card (which obviously wasn’t given).
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Graza wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 am I don't mean anything else about his reign, the culture or anything else. But that first season back up we played like a team possessed. Goal down, goal up 100% effort.

Wouldn't have him back, but how we could do with some of that attitude and spirit right now.
I was half joking mate. The negative football that bloke oversaw was terrible at times.
il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:20 am Having watched it again, Spurs looked even more **** than when I was in the stadium. How ****ing bad are we to be 3-0 down at home to them at one point...
Agreed. I think it says a lot about both teams. Spurs are a bad team, yet we failed to exploit their weaknesses, just like we did against Burnely, Newcastle and Sheffield United. To me that just shows a complete lack of planning beforehand and studying teams weaknesses. Only the manager can be responsible for that and ultimately must carry the can for that.
Believer
Has liked: 1391 likes
Total likes: 727 likes

Post by Believer »

ChzMff wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:07 am

I hated the whole day yesterday.
Yep ! Same as that. There was a general apathy walking to the game yesterday. Nobody seemed up for it. There was the usual bit of chanting under the bridge at the carpenters but other than that, there was a general feeling of expectation that we would be soundly beaten.

The queue at security was the longest I’ve known and any thoughts of an atmosphere building on the way to the ground is killed by that tedious process. The amount of half and half scarves on show was depressing.

We were not alone in leaving early and I’d guess the swarms of old bill outside were delighted that the result meant that by full time there would hardly be any home support around to “greet” the away fans.

The whole Saturday experience is gone. Everything about the club is left to reminiscing the old days. We’ve got nothing to look forward to except “maybe a point at home v Arsenal”. What they’ve done to the club and the support is shameful. Unfortunately I don’t see any way back. This will probably be the last season any of our lot go until the trio have departed which saddens me. No matter what was going on in life you always had West Ham at the weekend to look forward to. Now some of our fans want us spanked by Chelsea so that another manager will be sacked ! Sad sad times...
Alcaucin Ammef
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Alcaucin Ammef »

Anaemic. No other word for it. Supported West Ham since 1965 and used to ups and downs but can't tolerate indifference in the shirt.
Teams nowadays defend from the front. Haller, Anderson and Yarms couldn't be arsed to break into a trot when losing the ball, let alone press and hassle. Antonio was a breath of fresh air when he came on.
Midfield is (at best) ponderous. Rice started well but can't do it all and still has lots to learn.
Back four + keeper were dreadful (stand fast Oggie). No idea what has happened to Cresswell?
Would love to see some youngsters with a point to prove given a run out. Couldn't do worse and would at least show some passion.
Overall felt like they didn't care (including Pellegrini).
End rant.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

we start games desperately trying not to concede the first goal, with the full knowledge that we probably will.

just start the game like we're 3-0 down and see what happens.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:20 am Having watched it again, Spurs looked even more **** than when I was in the stadium. How ****ing bad are we to be 3-0 down at home to them at one point...

Also, no way Fredericks tackle was a red card (which obviously wasn’t given).
This is the problem. Our own fan base think we are something that we’re clearly not. We are a million miles off spurs. They don’t have one outfield player in their squad who wouldn’t walk straight into our first 11.
It’s about time we took the blinkers off. In son, Kane and Ali they have 3 boys who can give it and throw their weight around. Mourinho will give them that nous and nasty streak to win a trophy. Now compare that with our front 3. Cowardly...and weak.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

It doesn’t matter what players Tottenham have, they started the game in 14th and deservedly so. They have been poor all season and were again yesterday. We are extremely bad and have been making other poor teams look good (Everton, Newcastle etc). Yesterday was another example of how easy we made it for a team who didn’t even need to perform. When we actually tried to make a go of it, we scored twice.

Tottenham may well improve, but if that was a top 4 side showing what they have then the league really has gone to the dogs...
Graza

Post by Graza »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:26 am I was half joking mate. The negative football that bloke oversaw was terrible at times.
:thup:
True.

We were the bouncbackabilty team that year though.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

Totally agree with the above post, but let’s not forget they’re on (or should be) on a new manager bounce.

Mourinho, “the Waitrose Allardyce” I heard him referred to as yesterday. :lol:
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:31 pm It doesn’t matter what players Tottenham have, they started the game in 14th and deservedly so. They have been poor all season and were again yesterday. We are extremely bad and have been making other poor teams look good (Everton, Newcastle etc). Yesterday was another example of how easy we made it for a team who didn’t even need to perform. When we actually tried to make a go of it, we scored twice.

Tottenham may well improve, but if that was a top 4 side showing what they have then the league really has gone to the dogs...
Poor??! They went 3 nil up. We can’t roll out the (we let them because we were awful) line every time this happens.
The only thing that’s gone to the dogs is our football club