West Ham Utd 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Re: West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread 23/11/2019

Post by ChzMff »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:31 pmWhen we actually tried to make a go of it, we scored twice.
I’ve seen this a few times now but it doesn’t seem to take into account that the opposition put the handbrake on and reduce the intensity when 3-0 up. It’s easy to make a go of it or look better when the other team know the game is won.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Post by steps »

ChzMff wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:12 pm I’ve seen this a few times now but it doesn’t seem to take into account that the opposition put the handbrake on and reduce the intensity when 3-0 up. It’s easy to make a go of it or look better when the other team know the game is won.
Nothing to do with Spurs being massive chokers then?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2034 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

ChzMff wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:12 pm I’ve seen this a few times now but it doesn’t seem to take into account that the opposition put the handbrake on and reduce the intensity when 3-0 up. It’s easy to make a go of it or look better when the other team know the game is won.
2 Things.

Firstly, we massively improved when Antonio came on, it even got Haller more involved and our whole shape changed. We started to create, we got shots away and started to keep the ball better.

Secondly, good teams wouldn't 'put the handbrake on' in the Premier League. A good team at 3-0 would manage the game properly. Spurs were simply not that good, and it only took a small bit of improvement from us to start to find a way through. Do you seriously believe that Tottenham put the handbrake on at 3-0 and thought the points were in the bag?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I didn't think David Gold looked very well sitting in the stands. In fact, for those of a certain age, he reminded me of that song, by the late Stanley Unwin ~ 'My word you do look ill' Google it , you wont be able to stop laughing
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Why would you laugh at an old man in his final days?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Boooogers! wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:05 pm Why would you laugh at an old man in his final days?

The song is an historic comedy classic, or at least I think it is intended to be
Sliema1990
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Sliema1990 »

Not enough praise for Nobes pass with the outside of his foot,to Anderson. If that was De Bruyne or David Silva, we would be seeing it replayed over time and time again.
Antonio apart, the only positive to come from yesterday.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:58 pm I didn't think David Gold looked very well sitting in the stands. In fact, for those of a certain age, he reminded me of that song, by the late Stanley Unwin ~ 'My word you do look ill' Google it , you wont be able to stop laughing

Stanley Holloway in fact (Unwin was the guy who ruined a Small Faces LP). Now I'm in the mood for Champahne Charlie tonight. Thanks, Puff.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

Thought Kane refereed that game superbly. And as has become the norm, it appears being England skipper also gives you free reign to get away with virtually anything.

We look devoid of anything. Not only passion, desire, ability and all the technical and tactical traits needed, but also the ability to move or understand how football at the top level works.

We made a pretty average Tottenham side look amazing at times.

The demise and decline of this side in 2 months has been quite possibly the worst and most unfathomable in my entire West Ham supporting life. And boy haven’t we seen it happen far too often when on the cusp of being, well, you know. Decent

There’s more than meets the eye with this.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Rio wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:11 pmThe demise and decline of this side in 2 months has been quite possibly the worst and most unfathomable in my entire West Ham supporting life. And boy haven’t we seen it happen far too often when on the cusp of being, well, you know. Decent

Well said. Agree with all of your comments but your your last one is the one to point us in the right direction. What exactly is going on at the club, in the dressing room, in the board room? I can only imagine that having a back-up goalie who, at times, can barely catch a ball is creating a s***-storm for all of the squad but there's something else going on.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Rio wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:11 pm Thought Kane refereed that game superbly. And as has become the norm, it appears being England skipper also gives you free reign to get away with virtually anything.

We look devoid of anything. Not only passion, desire, ability and all the technical and tactical traits needed, but also the ability to move or understand how football at the top level works.

The demise and decline of this side in 2 months has been quite possibly the worst and most unfathomable in my entire West Ham supporting life. And boy haven’t we seen it happen far too often when on the cusp of being, well, you know. Decent

We had a back 4 marking 1 player, and a midfield 5 marking Alli dropping deep and Son out wide left, yet Alli still found lots of space stepping into the space where none of our players thought to follow him, so not stopping the threat at source, preferring hi to run at the back four and play wall passes whenever he fancied. Up to the point they scored it was a fairly even game where neither side created much, but after the first went in it went tits up. This si where the problems unfold in every game, we visually wither.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Rio wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:11 pm Thought Kane refereed that game superbly. And as has become the norm, it appears being England skipper also gives you free reign to get away with virtually anything.

Thought the same, couldn't believe it when the stat came up that he only had 2 bookings this season then remembered he was England captain, his continual late fouls were a disgrace yesterday
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

richneal wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:59 pm Well said. Agree with all of your comments but your your last one is the one to point us in the right direction. What exactly is going on at the club, in the dressing room, in the board room? I can only imagine that having a back-up goalie who, at times, can barely catch a ball is creating a s***-storm for all of the squad but there's something else going on.
Perhaps finally, even the players now understand what most of us on here, have been talking about.
The toxicity of the club that they are playing for. It'd be enough to ruin anyone's confidence or playing happiness.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

What they need to do is get the half baked, 2 days a week slacker names Brady who masquerades as some female superhuman out of the club. She offers nothing and makes the club a laughing stock.

With that money hire a football person like David Dean to revamp the club and put in place a long term strategy and a short term one, then go our and hire a manger who fits that role.

Sullivan has proven beyond doubt he is a complete ****wit when it comes to managing this club, and hiring managers and signing players, its all been a 10 year clusterfuck where we have not gone forwards at all but backwards in most respects. Having a real football man who has seen it and done it between the board and the manager/coach and Technical Director should be the way to go. Unfortunately can't see that happening any day soon.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Behave Pezza, that would resemble something like a long term well thought through plan
Graza

Post by Graza »

Ozza wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:18 pm Behave Pezza, that would resemble something like a long term well thought through plan
You mean sitting there and stating "champions league in 5 years" then appointing Avram Grant, slashing and burning the staff from within, failing to invest, moving to a ****hole athletics stadium and spending 3 years arguing about the colour of the half a mile of carpet between the stands and the pitch isn't a long term well thought through plan? The things you learn...
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Well I suppose then, it is a well thought through plan for who?
SEAHammer

Post by SEAHammer »

Hard to argue Kane wasn't a niggling b*stard, but that's just smoke and mirrors, a pretty average Spurs side were made to look like world beaters for 70 minutes, we all know it could have been 4,5 or even 6 nil by then. The club is so mithered and apathetic that it takes just a couple of bad results and we collapse, just as we are now, the eventual outcome will be a season where we don't scrape into mid-table and do go down. The whole club is just geared to failure from top to bottom.

Without new owners, a new board, a new manager and a new team we're going nowhere. Kane may be a dick, but seriously we have way bigger problems than that. Not least is the fact we've lost the fan-base, for our "cup-final" just how **** was that atmosphere?
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

While I was at the game I made a conscious effort to remember how I felt at different stages of the game. A game I expected us to lose.
The first 25 minutes I thought was reasonably even with Spurs looking threatening up front, but us failing to make the most of an opportunity when Anderson was put through. The first goal turned out to have been very saveable and that put them in charge. At three-nil I thought it would be 5 or 6 and then Michel Antonio happened. His dramatic effect on the team in place of the truly woeful Felipe made me wonder how much his and Fab's absence has hurt us. A ridiculous roller-coaster of a game but then I watched Sheff Utd v Manutd on TV. I thought I was watching the same game again, the only difference being SheffU weren't as clinical as spurs so were only 2 up. I really am scratching my head as to what's happening not just at west ham but all over the premier league this season. Can we start at half-time in future?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

I don't even know what to say about that game.

It's deja vu all over again, isn't it?

Crap goalkeeping. Wingers ghosting past our full backs. Easy headers at the far post. Lack of cutting edge. Lack of ideas. Only coming into the game when it's too late and the game is lost.

Spurs fans crowing about winning a game they apparently don't care about.

I suppose one positive is Antonio is back.