Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

CentenaryUpperHammer

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

Ozza wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:11 am Im just laughing at how **** as a club we must be, that Beisla at Leeds wouldn't want to manage us
Interestingly, I watched the Leeds documentary on Amazon Prime which highlighted them going after Bielsa. He was more interested in the way the board sold him their ambitions, plans & also about the area (Leeds vs London?). I can only imagine what Sully's pitch was like. Bielsa bought into a long term ambition from passionate owners who wanted to push Leeds into the Prem. It's clear that Sully just wants us to linger in the Prem, spending as little as possible & rake in the Premier League kitty until their loans are paid off.

Until we have a board who want us to progress, we will always be on this merry go round. It would also be nice to be treated as football fans rather than customers for once in a while but again, that's a completely different thread.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by MadMart »

Well said CentenaryUpperHammer - our owners would put any suitable candidate right off - no passion and full of *****. Tough times ahead
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 am yeah can see hughton but hope we hire someone decent for once who is young and hungry to win something.

Sullivan surely has learnt that the old names don't end well.

wilder - why would he come here ?

Bigger club
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Zero chance we'll get Wilder, not worth discussing.

Has Mark Hughes been mentioned?; available immediately, no compo, PL experience, cheap.

Right up their street.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Wilder is excellent but I don't think he'd come to us. Sheffield United fan, first time in the PL and going really well. I'm not sure if we're a big enough club to poach a manager from another PL team either.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:20 am Bigger club
Not to him we aren't, he is managing the club he has supported all his life.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Fans shortlist:

Howe
Bielsa
Wilder
Dyche

Board's shortlist

Pulis
Houghton
Hughes
McClaren
Martin O'Neill
Ranieri
Mick McCarthy
Steve Wigley
jimbobbs

Post by jimbobbs »

Young, hungry with some experience in the Championship (similar to Lampard last year) - Scott Parker. He would not do any worse than the dross currently being served up. Get Noble / Pearce alongside him next year.
r99c
Has liked: 707 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

wormley wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:48 am Fans shortlist:

Howe
Bielsa
Wilder
Dyche

Board's shortlist

Pulis
Houghton
Hughes
McClaren
Martin O'Neill
Ranieri
Mick McCarthy
Steve Wigley
:lol:

I wouldn't mind Ranieri to be fair, he inherited a **** Leicester team who scraped and survived by a hair's width, and then won the title with them, so that counts for something. No chance he comes to us mind.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:44 am Not to him we aren't, he is managing the club he has supported all his life.

This is how we see it, but it is a way of life to a football team manager and they will base their decision upon money and all the other rewards that go with managing a higher profile team and the potentiality of winning some silverware. I know we haven't won anything in Christ knows how long, but neither have SU and if approached, he will consider every aspect and base his decision on which of the two clubs offers the greater opportunities. But, as I have already posted, I don't think Sully will pay two lots of compo, so it is going to be an out of work manager
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

wormley wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:48 amFans shortlist:
Dyche
I've absolutely no interest in watching a West Ham team managed by that pie eating, disc bearded whinger.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

For me, it has to be Eddie Howe....can spot a talent, can coach a player and will put 100% into the cause, with an actual long term plan.

Plays good football, makes his teams hard to beat, plays the youth, but can also change tactics during the game and for different oppositions.

It would be difficult to get him as he is a full Bournemouth man, loves the club and has a great relationship with not only the owners but everyone at the club.

Any potential manager will have to balance the fact that our owners are hard to work with, they don't (or won't) spend the money that most clubs have against the fact that we are a huge cult club, with massive potential...

But if the two Dave's want to really make a mark and finally take us on a journey to the next level (which they certainly have lied about), then they have to get Howe in now, before Everton or Arsenal get there first....and Howe can bring Lewis Cook and Aaron Ramsdale with him too :)
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Post by steps »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:01 am I've absolutely no interest in watching a West Ham team managed by that pie eating, disc bearded whinger.
x2.

That goes for Chris Wilder too. As someone else pointed out earlier, Sheff Utd are on a new promotion buzz but they’ll get worked out soon.

Someone even mentioned how Bilic wasn’t allowed enough time with us, mind blowing considering the dog’s abuse he got on here at the time.
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

I quite like Dyche.

Worked wonders at Burnley and gets harshly tagged with the direct football thing.
When you it listen to him talk football he’s very good.
His voice is annoying though.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2691 likes
Total likes: 1787 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

One Peter Butler wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:46 am :kumb:

I think that is absolutely right, in normal circumstances.

The difference here, so it seems, is that this manager wants to take the severance cheque and go home. It creates a wholly different scenario to deal with.
Do you have any evidence for this ?

It might go some way to explain the slump in form / lack of effort from a number of our players , but if it's true what has driven him to this , the lack of backing during the summer , broken promises , apathy , homesickness ?

Going by what he's achieved at other clubs he built something pretty special at Villareal , brief stay at Real Madrid , 3 years at Malaga and Manchester City doing very well at all his clubs .
Yes they backed him to the tune of around £60m during his first season telling all and sundry it was £100m+ but that was only the money they'd kept back from Bilic and Moyes , then this summer they're back to their usual budget - a premier League Club with average attendances beaten only by Manchester United and Arsenal along with the TV money they receive from Sky should be able to spend more money than Bournemouth FC , Ground Capacity 11,329 .

Then , yesterday we hear from well respected poster Pink Palermo that Sullivan may have to pay shareholders £45m in January - that would go some way to explain why Pellegrini wasn't backed last Summer - they sold or loaned 5 strikers from under his nose replacing them with 2 , one of which doesn't play - they then sold Obiang and Fernandes and replaced them with ......no one .

If it's true it's no wonder Pellegrini wants out .
rigoberts song
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

I'd love to hear him bollocking our lazy overpaid prima donnas
People like Roberto,Zab,cresswell, Fornals and out of form people like Anderson Yarm wouldn't get anywhere near our team.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:44 am Not to him we aren't, he is managing the club he has supported all his life.

…. That is how we see it and as supporters is what we would do, but as a football manger it is making a pragmatic career decision and they don't usually allow personal empathies to obstruct that.

PS, Pepe still supports Barca
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

I just don’t care anymore! It won’t be anyone with ambition or anyone that costs £££. The list of names available is do disheartening that I am losing interest rapidly.

Rafa is the same as Pelle now, went to China for the £££ and won’t have the ambition to manage with passion again.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Lee Bowyer... Contract disputes with Charlton so compo would be cheap. Done a great job with them. West ham connections..