Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by Coops »

I think it unlikely that they will sack the manager at this stage, due to the big payout. Instead Sully will have convinced himself that our slump is due to Fab and Antonio being injured, therefore it will all be OK now they are coming back. This not only means that he doesn't have to spend millions getting rid of Pellegrini, but he also doesn't need to open his wallet in January.

The only way he will panic and sack Pellegrini is if he genuinely believes we will get relegated. In that case it is likely to be a stop gap manager, somebody they think will keep us up, with our current squad. So think Fat Sam, Pulis or Moyes.
jimbobbs

Post by jimbobbs »

Thinking back to Apr / May '18 - Moyes had the boys fit and organised. Arnie running his nuts off... Remind me, did Moyes call out the owners on a few issues/ offered a deal and turned down?
Not that I'd have him back - needs a new approach. Would rather we go for Scott Parker and everyone get behind him, rather than Hughton till the end of the season.
God what have these incompetent clowns done to our club :crest:
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 am Don't see the fascination with Chris Wilder tbf
Plenty of managers have bought their clubs up to the Premier League [surprisingly] and kept them there with that first season buzz and team spirit, and then dropped without a trace
If he is still doing it three or four years from now then fair play, but at the moment he doesn't seem that much difference to a trendy Pulis or Warnock
2019's Owen Coyle/Iain Dowie/Alan Pardew etc etc
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

People have selective memories.
We were bloody awful under Moyes.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Marco Silva
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I honestly can't see any manager coming in and changing things without significant investment and I don't think they will have that.

We may get a bit of a bounce when Fabianski comes back but the damage has been done in the summer.

Hammer1975 and myself were almost exclusively raising concerns about the fullbacks to huge derision on here. Everyone was moaning about a mobile midfielder who could put their foot in and almost everyone was moaning about the lack of striking options.

You can't solve that overnight. I await all the blah blah blah about them working harder etc, but the only way you do this is through competition and we are powder puff in that.

I would almost be tempted to go to the summer and change then. I would imagine the owners are thinking that. It may be that Pellegrini can be axed with minimal payout if he fails to finish in the top ten.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Looking at some of those realistic names and who the owners are likely to go for, I think I’d rather keep Pellegrini. Only at West Ham could you fear your current manager will get you relegated, but be more fearful of who the replacement could be...
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:02 pm Looking at some of those realistic names and who the owners are likely to go for, I think I’d rather keep Pellegrini. Only at West Ham could you fear your current manager will get you relegated, but be more fearful of who the replacement could be...
Yep, pretty much
Vladnar
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Vladnar »

Personally i wanted, want and will want moving forward Rafa on the long term he's our man no matter what happens etc etc but otherwise id be looking youth and give them the same deal, ie take us down its your responsibility to bring us back up so just stick with them, id go for Eddie Howe of Stevie Gerrard....i would trust all 3 of these guys on a 5 year full deal....id understand Dyche coming in and doing a fine job, but i don't think he'd be popular enough and itd cost us a fair wack id have thought to make it attractive enough for him in particular.

V
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 am Don't see the fascination with Chris Wilder tbf
Plenty of managers have bought their clubs up to the Premier League [surprisingly] and kept them there with that first season buzz and team spirit, and then dropped without a trace
If he is still doing it three or four years from now then fair play, but at the moment he doesn't seem that much difference to a trendy Pulis or Warnock
Its not a flash in the pan though. He also got promotions with Oxford, a cash strapped Northampton and in non league before taking the blunts from league one to the prem in three seasons.
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

Nobes player/manager ?
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Seriously anyone scoffing at Chris Wilder's credentials, basing it purely on getting Sheff Utd to this position, needs to look at his achievements in previous seasons for other clubs too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wilder

That said, I cant imagine he would want to leave right now, especially as he is managing the club he supports - nor would GSB want the cost of compensation
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

If Eddie Howe is actually interested we should be sacking Pellegrini today.

If our owners genuinely had ambition since the move, you know like they said, then they would be nuisance calling Pochettino offering him whatever he wants.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

FAH_1973 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:49 pm Its not a flash in the pan though. He also got promotions with Oxford, a cash strapped Northampton and in non league before taking the blunts from league one to the prem in three seasons.
Oxford fans can't stand him tbf
I am not saying he hasn't got a great lower league CV, but so have Pulis and Warnock
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

With Everton and Arsenal possibly going to change managers, I would imagine Howe would much prefer either of those clubs as they don't have our board.

We can only get somebody who is desperate for a job.

I imagine Rafa or Hughton.

If they turn us around it will have been money well spent but as for going forward....meh.

We should have given Moyes a season to get us organised and then seen if he could move us forward or look for a younger manager with a plan.

Unfortunately a plan is not something our board have much thought about.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3014 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Simeone. :lol:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:54 pm If Eddie Howe is actually interested we should be sacking Pellegrini today.

If our owners genuinely had ambition since the move, you know like they said, then they would be nuisance calling Pochettino offering him whatever he wants.
Agreed but our owners don't have ambition.

Levy sacked Poch and announced Mourinho in a couple of days all in time for him to take training and be in place for his first game without them having t go a few matches with no one at the wheel.

Our board will take about 6 weeks to appoint a successor just in time for the January window to be closed so he cannot spend any money on replacements that we are crying out for.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 pm Simeone. :lol:

Wouldn't hesitate headbutting Sullivan, Gold or Brady.

I'm in.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Hockley Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:19 pm.

We should have given Moyes a season to get us organised and then seen if he could move us forward.
Moyes didn't enjoy moving forward as was borne out with 0 shots on target against lower league opposition. He thought the players would be disintegrated if they passed the halfway line. :asleep:
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Id pay to watch that, I'm in