Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

WestHamIFC

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by WestHamIFC »

S-H wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:55 pm Exactly, never got the media hype, surrounding Howe, and this just proves that he bang average. But if your face fits, what do stats and facts matter, eh?

Now.. who's going to break it to hammerman11?
Indeed - it's baffling how over-rated he is. But also telling that no other club has really come in for him during all these year's down at Bournemouth. I hope we avoid.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Not that it means anything but he is currently 10/11 on SkyBet.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm just fed up of constantly watching our half hearted, lackadaisical attempts at playing football, being out fought and out ran by almost everyone we play, watching our midfield being walked through time and time again like they're not even there, waiting half a game for us to put a cross in and then seeing nobody busting a gut to get in the box, watching the ease at which the opposition carve out chances. It's disheartening.

I'm perfectly happy to sacrifice style and tikka takka football just to have a team that, for once, battles for the points in every game, are never easy to beat, are solid and organised rather than embarrassingly weak, and actually properly utilise the qualities of the players in the team.

Howe? No thanks... Dyche? Yes please. I'd even have Hughton. I just want to see us playing again like we actually care.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I mean, who buys a big foward who won more headers than any other striker in his league last year, spends two thirds of our budget on him, then proceeds to play him in a system where we pass the ball around side to side with no purpose and no intent of actually putting a decent ball into the box.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

For all the negative things said about the likes of hughton and dyche, I bet they'd have been getting a lot more out of haller than pellegrini has.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:43 pm For all the negative things said about the likes of hughton and dyche, I bet they'd have been getting a lot more out of haller than pellegrini has.
Yup, lump it up. You know it makes sense
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm not necessarily saying play long ball... but you don't buy someone like that and then not utilise his main attributes. As it stands, we'd have been better off buying a completely different kind of striker.

The manager should either:

Bring in players that suit his system or...

Adapt his tactics to suit his players.

I'm not really seeing evidence of either, especially with haller.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Managers like Dyche, who have little to work with, know how to utilise the attributes of their players to give them the best advantage.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:48 pm Yup, lump it up. You know it makes sense
I think you're being disingenuous. We need people getting to the byline, whipping in crosses for him to attack. We never even try to do that any more.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I would be quite happy for a couple of flying wingers getting to the byline for haller to smash it in. some energy in midfield and defenders who put their bodies on the line. also a decent keeper. we have the parts but they are not working at the moment. dyche or howe would solve that .

what are the board waiting for ? pelle will start Roberto and we will stroll around Stamford bridge as Chelsea hit 6 goals.

sack him on sun day and get the new man in for the wolves defeat !
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:58 pm Managers like Dyche, who have little to work with, know how to utilise the attributes of their players to give them the best advantage.
They also know where the players from the Championship who can make step up are.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

who but the old duffer would want sanchez or give wilshere a 3 year 100k a week deal ?? who would give zaba another year when his legs have clearly gone ? who would buy haller and not use him properly ?

I would bet howe dyche even hughton would not have bought them or got so little out of haller.

we need a change to have any chance of staying up. the time will be after Chelsea have smashed us and wolves to although I would want it earlier
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I’m not a massive fan of Howe, but I guess he gets a fair amount of hype for bringing Bournemouth up to begin with and then establishing them in the league. Being young and English also works in his favour.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

Mad Dog anyone? I am deadly serious.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Interesting how someone posts just an interesting comparison and others turn it into Howe debunked. No context spending stats are the way we judge managers now, I see.

He’s nothing like Allardyce, generally buys with a long term vision and plays on the deck with attacking intent. He’s also been flexible in his systems and has managed to make some truly average players into Premier League performers.

Honestly, the hatred of him has always seemed like jealousy to me. Little Bournemouth getting above their station and his teams generally being a real tough match for us.

I’d rather him than any (realistic) prospect from another club in the Premier League.
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

Kovac or Biesla for me. But given we’ve no chance of either my choice would be Dyche.

Putting the opposition under pressure and getting decent crosses into the box is preferable to the rubbish currently served up.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

S-H wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:55 pm Exactly, never got the media hype, surrounding Howe, and this just proves that he bang average. But if your face fits, what do stats and facts matter, eh?

Now.. who's going to break it to hammerman11?
To be fair to Howe though, Bournemouth have been in the Premier League for less time than we have and he is a young manager still learning his trade and building his contacts.

Personally I think no matter who we appoint they are going to get sacked in 2-3 seasons time. Sullivan reminds me of my boss - penny pinches most of the time, makes a lot of false promises, delusional, and when pressured will give out some resources only to try to claw it back a bit later.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

It'd be interesting to know what the owners will be looking for when identifying the next manager... We're not going to hire anyone with a better CV than Pellegrini...
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

They may have looked at Pelligrini’s CV but didn’t spend long thinking about his suitability to the position.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Not for a second do I believe Howe will come here, he is using us for his own contract negotiations with Bournemouth. But if he did come, GSB would eat him alive, and suck any ambition and enthusiasm out of him within 8 months.

Anyway, I really don't think Howe is as good as people like to believe, he's just at the right club for him, and I couldn't think of a worse club for him, than the GSB West Ham London.