Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by wormley »

I can see why they appointed Pellers, it was an aspirational signing based on his previous record.

The reality however is that he just can't be arsed. Seemingly.

There's no long term planning with our owners, always short term sticky plaster fixes to problems they've created in the first place.

Appoint a DOF, create a 3-5 year strategy, build a team and an identity and fund it accordingly.

Brady should go and spend some time at Ajax instead of feeding her ego on that sh*t tv show.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1090 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 am That's fair enough, I didn't actually know that. However, just looking down the list of their transfers last 4 years, there's only two players signed for £20m or over (Ake 20m; Lerma £25m - I suppose Ibe and Solanke just under that). As others have said, I bet they don't pay anywhere near the wages we do, and I bet they don't have the overall pull that we do, therefore unable to attract some of the "bigger name", more established stars that we have sometimes done, namely Arnautovic, Haller, Payet and Anderson.

I still think Howe has done an incredible job at Bournemouth - I mean, he's built them up from a League 2 side. I also think he'd be setting himself up for a hiding if he came here!
According to the Swiss Ramble on twitter (regular financial comparisons between PL clubs)

Out last published wage bill was £107m, whilst Bournemouth was £102m.

The main financial difference between the two clubs is the incomings - not the outgoings....our income/turnover was £40m higher last set of published accounts.

Would Howe do better here with the same resources yet different management above him and much higher expectations? I wouldn’t if I was him.
Last edited by hammer1975 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 am
I still think Howe has done an incredible job at Bournemouth - I mean, he's built them up from a League 2 side. I also think he'd be setting himself up for a hiding if he came here!
I think any prospective manager here will be to be fair.

Howe remains my first choice, but I'm not sure he'd leave the comfort blanket of Bournemouth for the madhouse here. In fact I could see Howe doing a Dario Gradi and staying with Bournemouth forever and a day.

Reappointing David Moyes would be the final nail in the coffin for me.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 am
Francis, S Cook, Arter, Daniels and Fraser were all playing the year they got promoted from League One. 4 of those are still regulars in the Premier League and although one has since moved on, does play International football and was still playing Premier League football last year. That is an achievement in itself.

A couple of weeks ago I made a post against Howe coming here, but after a VAR from myself, I'm starting to really like the idea :D.
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... SApp_Other

Given the rumours about Howe. I found this article an interesting insight in to his personality and his managerial approach.

Personally I’ve always been impressed by the guy. Will accept that there are some question marks over a few of his signings but perhaps with the pull of London, a ‘bigger club’ and larger wage bill he might be able to attract more established talent.

Fundamentally I believe football and football management has changed in recent years and consequently so has the way it needs to be coached. A younger manager with aspiration, bursting with new ideas and ability to connect with the players is what we need in my opinion. So Howe would be somewhere near the top of my list.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

maybe poach Bruce and leave Rafa in China ?

:D
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:47 am But this isn't like signing a player to fit in with a manager's style of play. This is about choosing a manager who will deliver the best results/success (however "success" is measured by the dildos). In that sense, surely it's actually sensible to consider a variety of managers with different methods to hear their "vision" and decide how it will translate to us.

All that said, whoever we end up with, I'm sure the outcome will be the same and we'll be back in this same position in two years' time!
Exactly, it's far more important than that. One signing won't shape our squad and style.

There is no way there idea of the next manager should be split across a range of people who are very different. We can't have a squad that is fit for Howe and for Benitez. We can't have an idea of what we want to be if we are choosing between attacking managers and defensive ones. We should not be being told by managers what we are going to be.

It is only (further) proof that there is no vision, no planning and no idea at the top of this club. Which is why it's no surprise the one appointment they made decisively and suitably was Allardyce - because they were firefighting and needed something instant. Almost like that was their level.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

There is no way that man is leaving that life for a stint at West Ham. Ignoring his footballing side, which is perfect there, he has an idyllic life, his kids and his assistant's kids are in the academy, his life would be thrown apart to work here at a club that, in its current state, surely isn't worth the risk?
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

What not one single suggestion since the Chelsea game? (oh, and Bournemouth lost again today and are on 16 points the same as us) :lol:
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

goa127 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:16 am What not one single suggestion since the Chelsea game? (oh, and Bournemouth lost again today and are on 16 points the same as us) :lol:
But that's football isn't it? And especially at West Ham. One win and most of us are reasonably happy (for a few days at least!) again.
You could call it being fickle or you could call it just human nature.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Does make me chuckle how us football fans are like one of them big, undulating shoals of fish turning this way and that. Can't be blamed cos of the dross in recent weeks so yesterday was such a relief (again, and again etc)
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

goa127 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:16 am What not one single suggestion since the Chelsea game? (oh, and Bournemouth lost again today and are on 16 points the same as us) :lol:
As previously stated, I would rather they backed Pelboy until the end of the season and that I’d rather no WHU Manager was ever sacked

No need for tumbleweed from me. :wink: strangely quiet from some of the “get Dyche or Howe in now” lot though eh :wink:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

I’m still not anti-Pellers. Never have been.

As for Howe. I’m not entirely convinced. What he’s done at Bournemouth is exceptional but there’s loads of question points about him. He’s not excelled when having money to spend (Mings, Solanke etc.), is Bournemouth simply ‘his’ job, the inconsistency, etc etc
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Gutted we won yesterday. Pellers out!

On a serious note, it seems like all the sacking talk has fired a rocket up Pel's arse, which for now has saved his job. I hope he and the team can build on this because hes looked like a dead man walking the last few weeks
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Great result but I want more consistency with the effort. I don't think we'll see it but I hope I'm proved wrong.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

It ended up being a bonkers day yesterday.

Not only did Pellers unexpectedly get us back to winning ways and saved his job for now. But bizarrely every manager in a job that has been linked to us lost yesterday.

Well, minus Parker anyway!

Howe lost, Dyche lost, Benitez lost, Bowyer lost, Cowley lost.

Crazy stuff! :lol:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:51 pm It ended up being a bonkers day yesterday.

Not only did Pellers unexpectedly get us back to winning ways and saved his job for now. But bizarrely every manager in a job that has been linked to us lost yesterday.

Well, minus Parker anyway!

Howe lost, Dyche lost, Benitez lost, Bowyer lost, Cowley lost.

Crazy stuff! :lol:
Perhaps someonelse's girlfriend always seems a more attractive proposition than your own.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

goa127 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:45 am Perhaps someonelse's girlfriend always seems a more attractive proposition than your own.
Then she gives you an amazing blowie in the kitchen after cooking you a steak dinner and you stop looking at other birds for a few weeks...
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

With these owners? More a case of a quick one off the wrist, and a donner from Efe's.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

would still want howe to come here myself. however it would have to be part of a 5 year plan to build the club up and we all know that is the opposite of Sullivan`s 5 year plan !