Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by Cellar-door »

WestHamIFC wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:49 pm Especially since their owner's Net Worth is only apparently £700m!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... ier_League
I never believe net worth numbers, especially for Russian Petro-chemical owners.
I also forgot that he sold 25% to a Private equity firm in 2015
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:35 pm Eddie Howe doesn't bother with cup competitions either, you know, but he does play the right way ....
You've clearly never watched his teams play.

As I've said time and again, he's a posh Allardyce.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

southendmadhammer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:14 pm You've clearly never watched his teams play.

As I've said time and again, he's a posh Allardyce.

Oh, OK fair enough. Let's not f*** about then, let's get the real thing. Accept no fake replica's
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

costa75 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:37 pm What I make of it is the shocking fact that a club that gets a crowd of 10,000 has a bigger net spend than us. Is that right?
THE NEXT LEVEL!

TAKE A BOW DAVID SULLIVAN AND GOLD, TAKE A BOW
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

WestHamIFC wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:45 pm In the modern word crowd size has very little relative impact on a club's revenue. That said, it's amazing that Bournemouth stay on the right side of FFP - yes they were cited about 5 years ago but that's it.
It has little impact on revenue, but does help indicate the size of the club. A tiny club like Bouremouth, with League 1 size crowds spend more than us.
Will we ever get the owners this club deserve?
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Tackler wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 pm THE NEXT LEVEL!

TAKE A BOW DAVID SULLIVAN AND GOLD, TAKE A BOW
This Daily Mail (yeah I know) article from 2015 makes interesting reading, just before the most successful stadium migration in history. We're 4.5 years into the 5, just the rest of this season left in fact.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -Gold.html

West Ham can win the Premier League AND the Champions League in the next five years... just look at Atletico Madrid, say co-owners David Sullivan and David Gold

West Ham can be the one of the major forces in Europe over the next five years, according to co-owners David Sullivan and David Gold.

Asked about how he saw the next five years for West Ham, Sullivan replied:  'I’d like to see us win the Premier League and then the Champions League.

And Gold added: 'I would be disappointed if we don’t join the so-called top six within the next five years.

'Our target? To finish in a Champions League spot. That’s not to say we will but why not aim high? The other target is to win the FA Cup which is becoming harder every year.'

As much as I admire their optimism no club is going to achieve CL status with an annual net spend of £27.5m. Still, the hyperbole probably shifted a few season tickets ahead of the move.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

I dont think you can watch Bournemouth much if you think they play anything like an Allardyce side.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Bournemouth play nothing at all like an Allardyce side

At least not whenever I’ve seen them play

I’d be happy with Howe’s brand of football - fella has his teams play on the floor a fair amount
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Howe in to a shade over evens now.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I can't say I've paid too much attention to Bournemouth but I certainly don't remember seeing some champagne football that some of the Howe fans here seem to suggest.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

costa75 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:42 pm It has little impact on revenue, but does help indicate the size of the club. A tiny club like Bouremouth, with League 1 size crowds spend more than us.
Will we ever get the owners this club deserve?
Their owners put in more money than almost anyone, I mean, does Liverpool need new owners because they spend less than Bournemouth?
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

It would be a reputation ruining move for Howe.
My money's on Rafa or something older manager coming in for the obligatory pension top up.
Until the culture changes at the top then it's the best we can hopefully for sadly.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:44 am The one excuse I don't get about the media and Ex ruling Howe as unlikely is he would be too expensive to bring in. Well unless I am mistaken isn't Howe out of contract in 2020!? That means he only has almost half a season to go. So surely he wouldn't cost that much in compensation. :?

If anything, minus the freebies such as Moyes he would be the most cheapest manager to appoint would he not?
Thing is though, if you were Howe and your contract was running down, wouldn't you improve your bargaining power for a new one by inviting interest from other clubs? I know I would.
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:24 pm Thing is though, if you were Howe and your contract was running down, wouldn't you improve your bargaining power for a new one by inviting interest from other clubs? I know I would.
Thought it was quite telling that Brighton increased Potter's contract the other day. Wonder if they were worried that he might jump ship if West Ham came calling?
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

What is it about howe that's so good? Bournemouth are not on a great run themselves. I just have to comment on the idea that the Southampton game will be the acid test. It doesn't mean we've given up on Chelsea or wolves, just that it might be a tad unreasonable to sack someone for not winning two difficult games. If we have lost them then Southampton would be a relegation 6-pointer, so that makes sense. Sorry to apply a bit of logic to the situation but I don't think we're quite in the last chance saloon yet (nearly though!)
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Eddie Howe. But in 2 years time we'll probably be having the same debate about how useless he is (if he comes here) and who should be next. Welcome to the crazy f@@@d up world of West Ham.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

BondsoBob wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 pm I'm starting to warm to the idea of Eddie Howe. But in 2 years time we'll probably be having the same debate about how useless he is (if he comes here) and who should be next. Welcome to the crazy f@@@d up world of West Ham.
problem bob is we don't know if the squad here fits in with Howe (insert any possible new bloke) and we have to recruit completely new players.

I would imagine that Howe would want to chuck out almost the entire back line, or at least massively upgrade it.

so the "budget" would almost all go in that area. and then where do the outfield players go into the "system."

do they have the work ethic to make new manager's plans ? if not we have spunked 120M up against the wall.

flog them off but they would need replacing - for how much ? do we recoup the outlay ? as of right now very doubtful.

therefore it's a whole almost season of playing defensive football due to not being able to shoehorn those outfield players or changing the system to suit the players (which is something I have advocated is completely wrong with Pellers) and grind out results until new players can be recruited to make things work.

great article here:

https://kumb.com/article.php?id=43688

But the money on the field has not matched those promises, these little lies. The last five windows has seen the Board spend just ?83m net. In ten years they have spent just ?72m on defenders, 19 players in all, the majority free transfers or loans.

not that I disbelieve him but where is the 72M on defenders ?

even so, 72M in TEN years on defenders - and probably 7M on g.k.'s - Green signed for money in 2006 so we have spent 7M total on g.k. in 13 years.

that's appalling.

the latest I came up with was about 40M on all of our defenders total.

so the same as Anderson and less than Haller.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

BondsoBob wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 pm I'm starting to warm to the idea of Eddie Howe. But in 2 years time we'll probably be having the same debate about how useless he is (if he comes here) and who should be next. Welcome to the crazy f@@@d up world of West Ham.
I think you're right, because the expectations that we would move to "the next level" still won't have been realised. That's the burden any new manager would be lumbered with. Even if we were consistently top 8,the vocal part of the fan base would still be moaning..essentially because of the owners.
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

goa127 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:57 pm What is it about howe that's so good? Bournemouth are not on a great run themselves. I just have to comment on the idea that the Southampton game will be the acid test. It doesn't mean we've given up on Chelsea or wolves, just that it might be a tad unreasonable to sack someone for not winning two difficult games. If we have lost them then Southampton would be a relegation 6-pointer, so that makes sense. Sorry to apply a bit of logic to the situation but I don't think we're quite in the last chance saloon yet (nearly though!)
Problem is though, when we play teams that are struggling as well, we always make them look like world beaters, such is the lack of effort from our team and chances we create, along with the defensive mishaps which is a given now since Roberto took over in goal. I'm more worried about the Southampton game out of the next 3 because realistically that is our best chance of getting at least a point but we will probably bottle it on the day like we always do. Everton and Newcastle being prime examples of it happening recently.