Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by Ironing Board »

One Peter Butler wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:29 pm I would go Roberto as player manager.
:lol:

“Champions League winner and FIFA world manager of the year Roberto has had the last laugh following a tough start to his West Ham career...”
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:59 am I still chuckle at The Spanish Allardyce :D
He was more the Spanish Jack Charlton at Newcastle!
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I’d take Dyche in. Heartbeat, he has more character, fight and minerals than everyone in our organization combined. As others have said he’s a bit more progressive Allardyce, but his teams are absolutely absolutely no less entertaining than Rafa’s or Moyes or even Danny Cowley’s. The players wouldn’t get away with any laziness, weakness premadonna nonsense, he’d actually make us hard to play against and with the players at his disposal, I’m sure he wouldn’t just employ route one. He’d get the best out of Haller and raise the fight and fitness levels up by orders of magnitude.
If we got Dyche in for Chelsea, we’d win, and I’d fancy us to win at least 3 of our next 4 matches.
r99c
Has liked: 704 likes
Total likes: 396 likes

Post by r99c »

Peaches wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm I’d take Dyche in. Heartbeat, he has more character, fight and minerals than everyone in our organization combined. As others have said he’s a bit more progressive Allardyce, but his teams are absolutely absolutely no less entertaining than Rafa’s or Moyes or even Danny Cowley’s. The players wouldn’t get away with any laziness, weakness premadonna nonsense, he’d actually make us hard to play against and with the players at his disposal, I’m sure he wouldn’t just employ route one. He’d get the best out of Haller and raise the fight and fitness levels up by orders of magnitude.
Exactly this. He's also a realistic appointment, unlike Howe who is local to Bournemouth and is a very nice area etc.

Burnley have no money etc, he has to play that style and yet they still beat us 3-0, beat Watford away 3-0 etc.

We desperately need someone who will let the players know what's what if they don't perform. Dyche in
jevs
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by jevs »

Brighton forum suggesting we're after Chris Hughton
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... are_btn_tw
:fsake:
antonyirons

Post by antonyirons »

Peaches wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm I’d take Dyche in. Heartbeat, he has more character, fight and minerals than everyone in our organization combined. As others have said he’s a bit more progressive Allardyce, but his teams are absolutely absolutely no less entertaining than Rafa’s or Moyes or even Danny Cowley’s. The players wouldn’t get away with any laziness, weakness premadonna nonsense, he’d actually make us hard to play against and with the players at his disposal, I’m sure he wouldn’t just employ route one. He’d get the best out of Haller and raise the fight and fitness levels up by orders of magnitude.
If we got Dyche in for Chelsea, we’d win, and I’d fancy us to win at least 3 of our next 4 matches.
Me too. The big problem with West Ham fans is they demand a Fancy-Dan manager who will play 'entertaining' football, then moan when it all goes pear-shaped and we get turned over by all and sundry. Think of our last six managers (excluding Grant, a completely wrong choice from the outset); Curbishley, solid and steady, saved us from disaster but never liked by the fans so he had to go. Enter Zola, universally loved, more expansive football, one decent season then we were rubbish. Allardyce, righted the ship, made us hard to beat, had some awkward moments but was beginning to build something, rightly questioned the whole 'West Ham Way' nonsense and was consequently hated by the fans so he had to go. In comes Bilic, even more universally loved, one great season blessed with the genius of Payet then we were rubbish again. Bring in Moyes to do a rescue job like Curbishley, again some awkward moments but beginning to build something;once more the fans didn't like his style of play so no, he had to go as well. Get in Pellegrini with promises of more expansive play, buys some crowd-pleasing talents, has a decent first season then.....see the pattern here? I want us to be hard to beat, not every failing team's patsy, every useless opposition striker's easy meat, I'm sick of the unrealistic expectations our fans burden the Board and manager with; how is it that Haller has won more aerial challenges than any other player in the PL this season yet has neither scored with his head nor created a chance for someone else with his head? If he played at Burnley he'd have 10 goals at least by now.
r99c

Post by r99c »

^And the other problem is delusion. Some people calling for Benitez who played absolutely **** football at Newcastle and pretty **** football when he was managing good clubs, winning but boring, but then they ask for Rafa over fresh up and coming options. DESPITE Benitez being in the same position as Pellegrini, success, deterioration and then ****ing off to China for $$$. Would be an awful appointment.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Dyche coming in would be handy

Nice & easy instant decision on whether to renew next season or not
e17

Post by e17 »

r99c wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:31 pm ^And the other problem is delusion. Some people calling for Benitez who played absolutely **** football at Newcastle and pretty **** football when he was managing good clubs, winning but boring, but then they ask for Rafa over fresh up and coming options. DESPITE Benitez being in the same position as Pellegrini, success, deterioration and then ****ing off to China for $$$. Would be an awful appointment.
I’ve not seen one fellow supporter who actually wants Rafa
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

It’s possible to be difficult to play against and still not be horrible to watch. You can have a back 5/6/7 who are solid, hard, mean, tough etc, but still have your fullbacks make attacking runs. Your front 4/5 can be attacking but still press the opposition and have the wingers cover the opposing full backs. In Antonio and Anderson, we have wide players who are very well suited to that... but aren’t either interested or told to. I actually think we could be a very entertaining side under Dyche (as he would likely play 2up top, and we’d play with much more pace), and still be solid. We’d just need to sort out central midfield. Fredericks, Masuaku, Antonio and Anderson are Taylor made to play down the flanks in a Dyche 4-4-2. I honestly think the opposing full backs would be crapping themselves facing those 4. The problem is we only really have one striker, and we’d need the second striker to drop into midfield when we don’t have the ball, and we certainly don’t have that player.
Last edited by Peaches on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r99c

Post by r99c »

e17 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:33 pm Dyche coming in would be handy

Nice & easy instant decision on whether to renew next season or not
They've scored 2 more this season than both Arsenal and Wolves, 4 more than Man Utd, and qualified for Europe a couple of years ago with a **** budget playing some good football, plus if they don't perform he would let the players know about it, who would you suggest instead?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

whoever we get, we'll be in an identical situation in 2 years' time.
r99c

Post by r99c »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:38 pm whoever we get, we'll be in an identical situation in 2 years' time.
To be fair this is probably right, it's the owners that need to f*** off.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If Hughton and Dyche are the only candidates in the frame, I think I would prefer we keep with Pellers until the end of the season, even if it means we dont collect another single, solitary point before the end of the campaign. If we go down, we go down; what the f*** does it matter whether we go down on 13 points, or 33 ? If these are the straight choice, then we might just as well re-appoint Roeder and give him another chance to show what he can do :lol:
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

r99c wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm They've scored 2 more this season than both Arsenal and Wolves, 4 more than Man Utd, and qualified for Europe a couple of years ago with a **** budget playing some good football, plus if they don't perform he would let the players know about it, who would you suggest instead?
Not to mention they’ve scored 4 more than us.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:38 pm whoever we get, we'll be in an identical situation in 2 years' time.
Absof*ckinglutley!

It'll be a boring pragmatist x2 years

Followed by..

Adventurous coach, expansive style of football x2 years

Followed by..

Boring pragmatist x2 years

Followed by..

Adventurous coach, expansive style of football x2 years..

And so on and so on.. blah blah f*cking blah.
e17

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:40 pm If Hughton and Dyche are the only candidates in the frame, I think I would prefer we keep with Pellers until the end of the season, even if it means we dont collect another single, solitary point before the end of the campaign. If we go down, we go down; what the **** does it matter whether we go down on 13 points, or 33 ? If these are the straight choice, then we might just as well re-appoint Roeder and give him another chance to show what he can do :lol:
Can’t believe the day has come....

I agree with you Puff :shock:
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

No way Benitez. He would cost Sullivan too much money in wages and compo, on top of paying off Pellegrini. Think about those currently unemployed or who would cost a lot less. Plenty out there and to be fair we have to lower our expectations a little on 'attractive football'. An ability to get the best out of what you have is the most important pre requsite.
e17

Post by e17 »

r99c wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm They've scored 2 more this season than both Arsenal and Wolves, 4 more than Man Utd, and qualified for Europe a couple of years ago with a **** budget playing some good football, plus if they don't perform he would let the players know about it, who would you suggest instead?
Honestly mate, I haven’t got a ****ing scooby

I’d prefer Howe, but I’d just prefer new owners really
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Move issues aside when have we ever had owners that provide this myth of consistent successful attacking football over a period of years?

Even in the halcyon days of the 60’s, had the internet been around, no doubt fans would have been moaning about how we could never get close to winning the league (a far more even contest then) despite having 3 World Cup winners in the side then selling our best as Peters moved to Spurs. This lot are no better or worse than our history save for the move which for many is/was totally unacceptable.

Too many seem to despise managers who achieve success on limited budgets because they play the game the “wrong way” - what is wrong with defending properly as a team, working hard first and foremost, giving your all every time you step on the pitch and being called out if you do not and planning on the best way of scoring given the talent available to you not players on some “wish list” which is unlikely to ever be realised. This is exactly what Dyche has achieved at Burnley yet he does not get the credit he deserves.