Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by duncanio »

WestHamIFC wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 am
Compare: Pelle was given £100m to spend. Moyes, £8m in January? Yes, he panicked got Hugill in – but what else could he do with £8m in January?? I blame the board for not backing him.
I think at the time Pearce had been out looking at Dendoncker but decided against. Then they bought Hugil who from the moment I saw I could tell he wasn't going to hit the mark...and for 10m as well! What was going on there. Dendoncker would have been the better choice.
I didn't really like Moyes' reluctance to get stuck into the market but it didn't do any harm to the target of staying in the prem.

I wouldn't mind Moyes.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

claretandblue82 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:09 pm Arsenal, Everton and us are all in the same boat. We all want entertaining football but the teams are full of overseas players on big contracts with no heart for the team they play for. All three could do with starting again with a british manager, sort their **** out, and start playing to their full potential with more British/academy players. Its working for Chelsea and everyone thought they would struggle!

It is working at chelsea because they have spent about two decades building up a huge youth academy based on hoovering up as much potential talent as possible from home and abroad then loaning them all out. A practice the vast majority of people are opposed to [and rightly so]

Even then it is only bearing fruit becasue of the transfer ban

Abrahams, Mount, Tomori, James etc wouldn't be near their squad [and i doubt lampard would be manager] if they had been able to buy players in the summer
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

chalks wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:23 am I’d have Moyes back in a heartbeat

People need to remember what we are. A shitty club run by crooks. We won’t ever be anything else. So get a British manager in who actually gives a **** and not just here for the dollar
If they run a competition to design a banner to wrap round the toilet bowl, you should send that in. It would win hands down.

I actually wonder if Moyes would take the job?
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

chalks wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:23 am I’d have Moyes back in a heartbeat

People need to remember what we are. A shitty club run by crooks. We won’t ever be anything else. So get a British manager in who actually gives a **** and not just here for the dollar
If someone like Moyes came in and got us winning matches, I would be very happy. I felt Moyes deserved a 2 year contract and a budget, and I feel he could have achieved something better than a relegation fight.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

If David Moyes is a serious contender then this football club are in a far, far worse place than I had previously thought. Absolute lunacy if he comes back.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

Apparently Moyes was set for an Everton recall but due to a fan backlash they’ve decided against it.
Crouchend_Hammer

steps wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:30 pm Apparently Moyes was set for an Everton recall but due to a fan backlash they’ve decided against it.
That pretty much sums it up if fans are that opposed to a manager who got them to by far their highest finishing position in the past 30 odd years!
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

BondsoBob wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:30 pm If David Moyes is a serious contender then this football club are in a far, far worse place than I had previously thought....
But we'd no doubt be in a better league position.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:34 pm That pretty much sums it up if fans are that opposed to a manager who got them to by far their highest finishing position in the past 30 odd years!

Well perhaps that just proves that football fans are not quite as thick as generally perceived.
Maybe they just don't want to see Moyes' dire, boring, sleep inducing football again, even if it were to take them a couple of places up the league table.
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:34 pm That pretty much sums it up if fans are that opposed to a manager who got them to by far their highest finishing position in the past 30 odd years!
But they had Moyes in there for years. They've properly been there done that. I can understand why they don't see that as progression. Arguably Moyes deserved the job here at the end of his 6 month stint.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Ozza wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:01 am I'd say that's very very accurate
Except Rafa has won loads of trophies.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Moyes would have the benefit of knowing how to get the best out of Masuaku, Lanzini, Ogbonna and a few others. Can we risk a new manager needing 10-or-so games to get to know the squad?

Talk about him being the wrong manager for the ‘next level’ feels pretty pointless given the guys at the helm of this club are certain insurance against achieving the next level.
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by The Terminator »

I'd take Moyes back but I can't see it ever happening, not after the way he was let go previously, perhaps if he was given a longer contract to begin with and a fairly hefty wage he might consider it.
essexhammer90
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by essexhammer90 »

The Cowley brothers, Wilder, Dyche or Howe for me (in that order). Not that any of them would leave their current roles for us if they had any sense.

The football was crap at times under Moyes but I thought he did well considering what he had to work with, however I want to see us looking to the future instead of yet another kneejerk appointment.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

essexhammer90 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:18 pm
The football was crap at times under Moyes but I thought he did well considering what he had to work with, however I want to see us looking to the future instead of yet another kneejerk appointment.
The problem is the knee high jerk making the appointments
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

moyes is a no from me. backward step and I doubt he would want to come here but realistically we are his level !

rafa - too much compo so I doubt they will entertain him just yet.

dyche - would be my choice but too juch compo again

howe - would also be my choice and less compo due than dyche as I believe he has one year left. young british manager who knows the PL.

parker - doing well at Fulham but no PL Mnager experience so a risk. would be a cheap dyche or howe not happen. former hammer and captain. great player for us.

so howe dyche or parker - british managers who get their players working hard and have some tactics. completely different to what we have now !

I can understand the board thinking that they will appoint after the next two games as we all know we are going to get smashed twice !
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I know we don't like to admit it, but we might as well accept it and face the reality of the situation, we only have a squad good enough for somebody like Moyes. We have a couple of players who could play at a higher level, but that's about it, the rest are bottom half level at best and in some cases, that is being kind to them and no amount of coaching is going to make them any better. I cast my mind back to when :arry: got booted out and despite his best efforts, Brown was unable to find a replacement. He interviewed some top name managers at the time, but all refused on account of our set up, but above all, all insisted on bringing in their own coaching team and a hefty transfer kitty. When everything left him no further forward in finding a replacement, he turned to Roeder, the one guy he knew wouldn't refuse. Brown apparently asked Roeder, "Can you make what we have better ? " To which Roeder replied, " No doubt about it"
Crouchend_Hammer

BondsoBob wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:44 pm Well perhaps that just proves that football fans are not quite as thick as generally perceived.
Maybe they just don't want to see Moyes' dire, boring, sleep inducing football again, even if it were to take them a couple of places up the league table.
That's what I meant Bondso Bob. My original past was not clear enough
I meant that sums up how bad his football is if Everton fans are rejecting him
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

moyes football at the end was it worse than pelle`s now ? both teams getting smashed and clueless but I suspect moyes team tried a bit harder occasionally also he didn't have a 100m to inject into the team. mind you it hasn't done much good !

sheff utd bought mousset from Bournemouth for 10m and we got haller for 45m. mousett runs all game and scores a few. haller sulks and doesn't move albeit we don't support him but he clearly isn't trying and I would suspect wants out in janueary.

we need to get someone in who will get them trying has a few different formations and is a grafter.

pelle and his armchair approach doesn't work
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Have this lot ever paid compensation to get a manager who was employed elsewhere?

(Or paid money for a right back, back up goalkeeper, defensive mid for that matter)