Who was responsible for signing Roberto?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

steps

Re: Who was responsible for signing Roberto?

Post by steps » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 am

sendô wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:30 am
Roberto probably came with some sort of cash back option knowing Sullivan.
Roberto’s agent was probably doing 20% off that day.

Personally I think it was a cost cutting / recovering exercise from the money the club had laid out last window. They bought Fornals and Haller but sold Obiang, Arnie, Perez, Hernandez, Fernandes and let Carroll and Adrian go on freebies.

In essence they’ve sold us short in vital positions.

Row X

Post by Row X » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:32 am

As a fully paid up memeber of the Goalkeepers Union, I usually back keepers and try to defend them.

The last 2 games are the first time I've ever walked away from our matches thinking 'I could actually play for West Ham, and be no worse than that' and I'm 36 with a dodgy knee... If Sullivan is reading this, I'm available and I'd only want between 5-10k a week, I'd save you loads of money.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:15 pm

I agree with you row X. I'm pleased to hear from an actual goalkeeper because other than in the school playground I've never played in goal. I'm amazed that a man with his pedigree can concede such simple goals as the first one on Saturday. He covered the near post knowing son would shoot across him. He then failed to put his arms out! He's giving teams a goal start every game

Hammerite

Post by Hammerite » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Hindsight always offers 20/20 vision.

At the end of the day he was (IMO) a club signing, regardless of who requested it, or sanctioned it.

Too often in the past we've seen our illustrious Chairman take credit for the successes and distance himself or apportion blame on others for the failures...something you should never do in any form of management.

The problems don't start or stop with the keeper, the malaise at our club runs much deeper than the man between the sticks and it's been festering for a number of years and it will get worse before it gets better.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:49 pm

His CV really wasn't that bad either, so it is surprising how limited he appears to be
Don't get me wrong it wasn't an overwhelming CV, but then nor was Adrian's when he joined

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:54 pm

goa127

Post by goa127 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Played at every level for spain? Wow

AlfieG

Post by AlfieG » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:10 pm

Irrespective of whoever scouted him, opted for him, and made sure we signed him up, it really doesnt help the team when the crowd are laughing, jeering and sneering at our own goalkeeper... :oops:

We are all frustrated by how bad he has been but can someone tell me how they think it helps the team win football matches?

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:14 pm

AlfieG wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:10 pm
Irrespective of whoever scouted him, opted for him, and made sure we signed him up, it really doesnt help the team when the crowd are laughing, jeering and sneering at our own goalkeeper... :oops:

We are all frustrated by how bad he has been but can someone tell me how they think it helps the team win football matches?
it isn't going to help but fans are perfectly allowed to vent their frustrations, it has been happening since the year dot.
The man is a sham of a keeper , look at Saturdays game again , if you want torture and he lets at least one shot through his hands and dives past another.
Clown

Row X

Post by Row X » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:27 pm

goa127 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:15 pm
I agree with you row X. I'm pleased to hear from an actual goalkeeper because other than in the school playground I've never played in goal. I'm amazed that a man with his pedigree can concede such simple goals as the first one on Saturday. He covered the near post knowing son would shoot across him. He then failed to put his arms out! He's giving teams a goal start every game
When you're low on confidence and\or you don't want to be blamed for making simple mistakes you tend to 'cheat' a bit when between the sticks. The most obvious one is "don't get beat at your near post". Which in itself is actually not the crime it is made out to be, you need to cover the majority of the goal, if you come off your near post a bit, it gives you more chance to cover the far post.

Anyway, everyone says "don't get beat at your near post" So when your playing crap, you tend to cover too much of the near post, knowing that if they score going across you, you'll get less blame. Same for crosses, if you go out and miss them it's your fault, stay on your line and you don't get so much blame. Same with through balls, you go to get them and miss its your fault, stay on your line less blame etc... Play safe, less blame but more chances for the oppositions to have easier chances to score.

Roberto did all of this Saturday, yet not only is his confidence shot to bits, he's being timid in decision making add to that his technique is massively out of sync as well (he's not set at the right time for shots etc). Which all adds up to disaster when you're a keeper.

He really needs to be taking out of the firing line now.

Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:32 pm

I think Roberto just highlights the fact that Fabianski performing at very high levels every week was papering over our lack of defensive quality and investment. Without him the wheels have truly come off. It certainly looks like someone has taken a monetary driven fitness gamble on the signings between the sticks that has bit then on the arse.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:44 pm

He was making some strange decisions on Saturday which are clearly the result of zero confidence. Whilst I would not blame him hugely for any of the goals [maybe the first but it was a very good finish and i really like RoW x's analysis], there were other occasions where his mistakes [most noticeably from crosses, weak punches etc] were not punished

His exaggerated dive to save that long shot in the first half was comical

Absolutely stupid to comically jeer/ cheer him though. Booing an outfield player for a perceived lack of effort is one thing, but further dismantling a Goalkeeper's already fragile confidence is counter intutive in the extreme

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:51 pm

He has not put in one convincing performance at any time he has worn the West Ham shirt and that goes way back to pre season. I'm sure he is lacking in confidence now, but he was lacking in ability from the start. I don't care what his CV in the past was, his recent career did not indicate a goal keeper appropriate for a PL club. And let's not forget, "back up keeper" is starting keeper in the cups so it's not acceptable to sign any old crap.

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:58 pm

This is going to sound an exaggeration but I'm deadly serious.

I've never seen a worse professional goalkeeper at any level in any country.

Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:06 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:49 pm
His CV really wasn't that bad either, so it is surprising how limited he appears to be
Don't get me wrong it wasn't an overwhelming CV, but then nor was Adrian's when he joined
This is the thing. On paper and as goa127 has said; played at every level for his Country, what's not to like. The reality however........

I'm treading the fine line at the moment of being totally p**sed off with the bloke and feeling sorry for him.

He needs to be taken out of the firing line.

taffhammer

Post by taffhammer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:14 pm

AlfieG wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:10 pm

The jeers, laughter and sneering are aimed at him,the owners and whoever brought him here. He should never be in goal for our club. How anyone can twist the blame on the crowd for making their feelings known when a promising season is thrown away is beyond me.

mattyD

Post by mattyD » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:17 pm

goa127 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:01 pm
Played at every level for spain? Wow
At what?

norse

Post by norse » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Roberto has exposed the same problems that we've had a long time, difference being Fabianski managed to save more.
The team don't defend good enough, don't run enough, that is not the keepers fault. The result is that the keeper, who clearly is not good enough (not his fault) is shot of any confidence and we'll have to live with that for at least another month.

Hammer in Hornchurch

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:14 pm

I was there Saturday and could not put myself through watching replays on MOTD etc until just reading this topic on here , so I’ve just YouTubed highlights.
First goal totally down to poor keeping, ball went through his arms.
The offside goal (Kane) Roberto was at fault, luckily it never stood.
Second goal Cresswell, lack of desire to intercept ball, Moura wanted it more. Then we are talking point blank range for GK to block.
Same third goal, Kane more desire to head ball than Diop. Roberto could of done better.
Roberto is not good enough by far, he’s cost us at least half a dozen points, so far. Fabianski might have saved all those shots/headers, but the defence and the team in general need to be doing better at closing down. And having a poor GK behind them just highlights this fact even more.

sendô

Post by sendô » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Can we not just stick one of those metal "men" things that they use to practise free kicks in training in goal? :eh: