Protests against the board being planned

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Phil S

Re: Protests against the board being planned

Post by Phil S » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 pm

Moxy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:43 pm
That should be the new chant “love West Ham, hate the board”. Straight to the point and not affecting the team.
:thup:

Samba

Post by Samba » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:57 pm

OohAahButler wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 pm
The best we can hope for is that whoever buys us out invests properly in the team and we get success on the pitch...which in turn will improve the atmosphere (up to a point). If protests against the board speeds up that process then bring it on, but let’s not kid ourselves that we’ll ever get a proper stadium, as Spurs have.
Imo, we had more chance of doing that, at Upton Park. Of more or less doing what Spurs did. We had 3 relatively new sides of the ground with great potential for a new East Stand.
We were fed the lie that it would be difficult with the bus garage being there. Which then closed in 2013/2014. We were also told that a new East Stand couldn't be any higher because of the flats running along the side of Priory Road. I don't know how true that would have been but having already moved the pitch quite considerably away from the East Stand, we would have had a LOT of room to play with.
It wouldn't surprise me if those who had designs on the bus garage land, also had a large influence on those who didn't even want to rebuild the East Stand & helped give them the excuses, why they couldn't.
If the East Stand had been rebuilt, in time, the other 3 sides could probably have been rebuilt, if that had been deemed necessary. I'm not even sure that would have been needed, once a great new East Stand had been in place. Again, the bus garage land developers did not want that AND probably really wanted us to move, anyhow.

Anyway, all of that & those chances have gone.
IF G&S get to buy the OS (& that is still if, imo), how likely is it that they will change anything materially? I don't think they will. They didn't want to do it at Upton Park. You would imagine that it would cost even more to do at the OS. They appear to be very happy with the place & while they're still selling out on season tickets, why would they need to bother? Imo, the move was evidence that they don't really care about the fans.
A new owner taking over. Why would they want to spend another fortune on changing the stadium?
Like I said, imo it would have been easier & far more likely to happen, at the Boleyn Ground.
By all means people, do your best at the OS, but I think you're up against it.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:02 am

Something I have started to question, is are the people that are anti-board actually in a minority, and the actual wider fan base are happy with their lot overall?

I can only go on my experiences, which admittedly are not at the ground, but I frequently come across fans in random places like hospital waiting rooms, whilst waiting to take over my bus at work, or when they get on the bus, that sort of thing, and occasionally we strike up conversation about West Ham - and the conversation does switch to about the board, and so many of them (and most have been attendees of games, or at least say they are) still come out with the line about GSB 'saving' us. and aside from results on the pitch do not seem anti-board in the slightest.

There's a chap at work who is a season ticket holder along with his family, and him and his are very much in the camp that I'm talking about.

It's all very well saying that people should stop going, hit them in the pocket where it hurts, or have protests and rise up - but is there really the appetite in the wider fan base for this - when most of the loud noises against them actually only seem to be from a small section of our support and from people on websites such as this and social media? I'm not so sure there is, is there?

It seems to be a rarity whenever I do have a random chat with a fellow fan away from here and social media to find them that are as anti-board as some of us are. I don't give a monkies, I'll talk to anyone and if someone has a WHU hat, item of clothing on, bag or whatever, I generally do say something to them. (Yes, I concede this may make me seem like a bit of a weirdo). Granted, they are mostly chats of a couple of minutes or so, but I ghenerally don't get the anti-board feeling from them - and do occasionally feel like shaking them and saying 'are you mad'....

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 am

Last Saturday was a missed opportunity, as that was the perfect opportunity to sing anti board chants while we were playing well and winning. As it would've demonstrated we are not a fickle bunch and we want them gone by hook or by crook.

The fans decided to do nothing.

ornchurch ammer

Post by ornchurch ammer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:14 am

funky chicken wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 am
Last Saturday was a missed opportunity, as that was the perfect opportunity to sing anti board chants while we were playing well and winning. As it would've demonstrated we are not a fickle bunch and we want them gone by hook or by crook.

The fans decided to do nothing.
Wrong. We took the piss out of Chelsea. And Roberto. And Lampard.

Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:17 am

-DL- wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:02 am
It seems to be a rarity whenever I do have a random chat with a fellow fan away from here and social media to find them that are as anti-board as some of us are.
I think it's a minority that are anti-board, most fans are happy to go to games and have a pint with their mates and moan about the **** and then move on, people on the internet seem to invest more time into examing the smaller details.

And of course there's a much wider part of the fan base that just catches games when they are on TV, might go once or twice a year and catches up on BBC when they think their boss isn't watching.

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:28 am

-DL- wrote:
Something I have started to question, is are the people that are anti-board actually in a minority, and the actual wider fan base are happy with their lot overall?

I've thought for a long time that the antis are outnumbered... at least the match going ones.
I thought there would be a few anti board chants at Chelsea but heard nothing.
One of the pubs in Earls court had some anti board chants going but it didn't carry in to the ground.

This is what is so frustrating when you read on here or other social media that people are anti but don't think protesting will work.

Maybe it won't but at least let them 3 know we ****ing hate them.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 am

-DL- wrote:

I agree with all of that DL and, from my experience, its at the ground as well (both the OS and Boleyn). It doesn't mean people are deliriously happy with the board but any dissent is more of a 'grumble' than outright hatred that would motivate them to protest. Most of the unrest I see is directed at performances, players or the manager. Its pretty much the same with those supporters I meet where I live, where I work and know socially. And all of these 'acquaintances' are long term seasoned West Ham fans/supporters and not 'newbies'.

Perhaps, like you, my experience is in the minority but I think not and am not surprised. The internet and social media can sometimes give a warped and exaggerated view of the way of the world and its always easy to find things that support your own personal 'confirmation bias's'. KUMB is an example of this. Great site, full of everything West Ham (and even not West Ham) with excellent articles, news, comment etc. however 'anti board' comment is restricted to a very small part of the whole picture, just one or two threads in General Discussion (often dominated by relatively few posters) and a few articles. If you were new to the site, would you immediately pick up a ground-swell of revolution? Do not misunderstand me, none of this is wrong and certainly I am not supporting the board here but reality is often difficult to see through the smoke of gunfire.

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:20 am

20,000 fans who are most definitely anti-board no longer go to the matches,though some still go away games.I now have more mates that don't go than do.Hammers United are leafletting against Arsenal.Of the 9 leafleting 4 have no intention whatsoever of setting foot in the Soulless Bowl again until GSB are gone.

Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:28 am

Northbank Bar wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:20 am
20,000 fans who are most definitely anti-board no longer go to the matches,though some still go away games.I now have more mates that don't go than do.Hammers United are leafletting against Arsenal.Of the 9 leafleting 4 have no intention whatsoever of setting foot in the Soulless Bowl again until GSB are gone.
But if we've got 20,000 anti board fans not going but only 9 leafleting then that is the issue. The appetite to protest isn't there, the fans left and didn't make a fuss about it, like we didn't protest against the board when we moved to the Boleyn. For most people, in my experience, we're happy to go to the pub and catch up with our mates and the football just gets in the way.

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:56 am

Arch Dandy.You are correct sir,that is the problem.The fans need to be organised.-And it seems the fans groups would rather make videos moaning about the board then actually do anything about it!

At Hammers United we always knew this would be a marathon,not a sprint.We are doing our best to make things better for the fans and are committed long term.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:08 pm

I believe your assessment is right DL, it's very much the my experience of most supporters. There's rarely much love for the board but the main focus is on the pitch. This is also linked to the feeling about the stadium. Those who hate the stadium hate the board with a passion. Those who either like or are neutral about the stadium don't have the same level of distaste. There are undoubtedly thousands who no longer go to games, but there are now thousands of lifelong supporters who now go regularly who didn't before. It's not an ideal situation to lose diehard supports but welcome to the brave new world

Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:17 pm

-DL- wrote:
I think you are right with the exception of the away support. The majority of these are anti-board in my experience. Unfortunately, football fans are a fickle bunch and until we get some bad results and performances, the ill feeling towards the board does not become vocal. Moyes' first game in charge at Watford was a prime example of that, the away support were furiously anti board that day.

Samba

Post by Samba » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:00 pm

I think your assessment is accurate, DL. By definition, those that are fiercely anti-board, probably don't go anymore (of course there are some that still do) & so the majority that do go to home games tend to be less het up about the board or feel at best, what's the point. Which is why the pro-board bollox about fickle fans protesting less after a win, is exactly that; bollox. There are even X amount of fans who are barely aware of who owns West Ham, let alone know of any animosity towards them. And people wonder why more couldn't have been done to stop the move???
Away fans, on the other hand, have to put themselves out much more. It's one thing to see a sh*t performance at home but travelling away some distance, to see a sh*t performance which ultimately can be traced back to the custodians of the club & what they have or haven't put into it, well, of course they are going to tend to be more vocal, away.
Ultimately, we can't do anything about not having 60k that go to home games, against the board & protesting. Primarily, home & away, people go to watch & support West Ham. No one goes primarily to have a go at the board.
Many (not all) of those that go & are not angry or bothered at what the board have or haven't done, REALLY get the club & matchday experience that they deserve.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:50 pm

-DL- wrote:
The vast majority of the fan base aren't particularly interested in the machinations of the Board or invest much thought or time to WHUFC outside of 90 minutes on Saturday/Sunday (and perhaps the transfer window deadline/s).

Those who are, tend to be wary of their motives - at the very least.

antonyirons

Post by antonyirons » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:50 pm
The vast majority of the fan base aren't particularly interested in the machinations of the Board or invest much thought or time to WHUFC outside of 90 minutes on Saturday/Sunday (and perhaps the transfer window deadline/s).

Is that because, like me, they've seen changes at Board level, as well as numerous different managers and players over many years now, with nothing essentially changing so hold no burning expectation that protesting to try and get GSB to sling their hooks will serve any great purpose or make any difference? I got slaughtered for saying this early in this thread, branded a GSB flag-waver (which I'm not) etc but it's interesting now to read others' (more recent) posts suggesting that the anti-Board feeling is perhaps not that deeply embedded in the fanbase but is more the preserve of a vociferous few, many of who let me know very charmingly that my thoughts on the matter were beyond the pale and should be kept to myself. That there is a degree of dissatisfaction with our owners (to put it mildly) I neither deny nor challenge but how effective any protest now could or would be (in terms of achieving the stated aims) remains a more-than-open question.

southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:08 pm

-DL- wrote:
My experience - and something that surprises me - is that many of the 'older' generation (my old man included) actually seem to be accepting of the board and their ways, and the main justification is "that we've always been ****".

Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:11 pm

I don’t go anymore but I’d happily turn up at every home game to protest outside the ground.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:25 pm

antonyirons wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:59 pm
Is that because, like me, they've seen changes at Board level, as well as numerous different managers and players over many years now, with nothing essentially changing so hold no burning expectation that protesting to try and get GSB to sling their hooks will serve any great purpose or make any difference? I got slaughtered for saying this early in this thread, branded a GSB flag-waver (which I'm not) etc but it's interesting now to read others' (more recent) posts suggesting that the anti-Board feeling is perhaps not that deeply embedded in the fanbase but is more the preserve of a vociferous few, many of who let me know very charmingly that my thoughts on the matter were beyond the pale and should be kept to myself. That there is a degree of dissatisfaction with our owners (to put it mildly) I neither deny nor challenge but how effective any protest now could or would be (in terms of achieving the stated aims) remains a more-than-open question.
i'd say demolishing 100 years of history to move to a rented PVC shopping centre amenity is a pretty big change.

antonyirons

Post by antonyirons » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Beavis Danzig wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:25 pm
i'd say demolishing 100 years of history to move to a rented PVC shopping centre amenity is a pretty big change.
Forgive me, I wasn't specific enough in my reference to 'nothing changes;' I meant in terms of the team's performances, how well/badly we do each season etc but your reply suggests to me that of all the grievances against GSB the stadium move still ranks very much at the top of the list, an issue that although (sadly) decided years ago now is one which the proto-protesters won't let go. Fair enough, I never wanted the move either but getting new owners isn't going to change anything in that regard, is it?