Protests against the board being planned

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Doc H Ball

Re: Protests against the board being planned

Post by Doc H Ball » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:01 pm
How many are Hammers Utd expecting for the protest?
This is now a general protest. WHUISA as involved as HU and disparate speakers.

No idea on turnout but it’s a chance to get different people together which is crucial.

neathiron

Post by neathiron » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:27 pm

jhammers wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:31 am
They couldn't have wished for a worse week could they. Lose out to a player on loan to Spurs, can't even sign a championship reserve goalkeeper, news comes out we're the 18th richest club in the world and 7th in England.

Bring on the protest :crest:
If things don't go to plan on the pitch on Saturday, and we should find ourselves a few goals down, think the atmosphere could turn nasty! A few levels up from the Burnley protest so to speak.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:39 pm

I kept some happy clappers from that Wolves game, I'm ready to go, although it will need to be a relay to get them on the pitch this time..

Samba

Post by Samba » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 pm

If I bring my newly acquired, Narwhal Tusk (in case there's bovver at The Podium Bar), you must all promise not to launch it at someone we all hate.
I just know I'll get the blame for it.

Samba

Post by Samba » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 pm

Sully: "I hear the fanbase are revolting".
Groucho: "But not as revolting as the West Ham United owners"..

ammo

Post by ammo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:56 pm

Thanks for the interview with Paul. I'll be there on Saturday.

I am so thankful for Paul for taking this on.

I am sure it has been mentioned somewhere about some badges being sold at one point to raise money (maybe when he was originally charged for going on the pitch)? Are they the ones with the silhouette of him with the corner flag? I would love to get one of these or a t-shirt with that design on - it would be a great symbol for the new protest movement. I have tried to look online to see if I can find any but have had no luck so far.

Anyone know of where I could get one or know if there are ideas in the pipeline for something like this?

Watford 'Ammer

Post by Watford 'Ammer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:11 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:01 pm
How many are Hammers Utd expecting for the protest?
There has been a lot of support, although in truth we just can’t call it. It really comes to down HOW bothered people actually are. Bothered enough to join in the moaning or bothered enough to change their match day plans to be there at 1pm? We have a feeling a LOT come into the latter category, we shall see....

500 protest leaflets given out on Friday. 1 negative reaction.

Plenty on here & HU Facebook pledging support.

Over 1000 opened the image of the protest map on twitter in less than 24hrs.

LOS

Post by LOS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 pm

This protest is most likely the only chance to get some true momemtum following 4 years of bitching about it over the internet. It brings it into reality. If this fails, so does the identity of the club IMO.

Its crucial its well supported. Please pull out all the stops to back it. The begining of claiming our club back. Even those who are happy with the way things are, should at least sympathise, and support their fellow West Ham brothers and sisters. :crest:

DM

Re: Protests agai5nst the board being planned

Post by DM » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:24 pm

I would love to be there, but will be there in spirit. I live in Ireland but am a member of both Hammers United and WHUSIA. Good luck to you all and if anyone meets Swallow or the RWH Aggro group can you ask them for my £20 back and donate it to the charity it deserved! :crest:

Noble Man

Post by Noble Man » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:33 pm

Just wish this was at the Brighton game on 1st Feb which I'm going to. Good luck to all that are going and let them know how we feel.
:crest: :crest: :crest:

Marky

Post by Marky » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:38 pm

Do we think enough people know about it ?

Where is it taking place?

Watford 'Ammer

Post by Watford 'Ammer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Marky wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:38 pm
Do we think enough people know about it ?

Where is it taking place?
All details on Hammersunited.com

We have leafleted at games and covered social media whenever we can. We have done our best as volunteers... the rest is over to our members and the wider fan base!!

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm

So... what is the measurement of success here? Number of supporters attending? Amount of press coverage? I only say that in that, that is what GSB will reply with x 'v' y. To be fair, it is quite a key moment. How many and what coverage (by media) will determine the outcome. A few disgruntled fans or a revolt?

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 pm

Statement put up on C&H -

'Hammers United instigated this protest but it is supported by a number of different groups and individuals. We are a disparate group with a committee made up of regular supporters well known amongst the fan base.

We would firstly like to say that we had not previously been asked to explain our motives or aims on this site as recently suggested, but have now been invited to do so and thank both Sean and Hugh for that opportunity.

We come together under the banner of being United for Change. We feel that since our move to the LS there has been so much marketing that the regular fan has been left behind. Many have quit, many are disillusioned and many no longer recognise us. This is not about results but about our identity.

We want either the existing owners to completely change their relationship with the support and deliver on the 10 promises made when they bought the Club, or for them to sell up to others who will.

At the heart of the problem has been the Club only having dialogue with their creation the OSB rather than with properly independent fan groups. We have tried to enter dialogue to express members’ concerns but the owners, OSB chair and even the Supporters Liason Officer have refused that saying only the OSB will be recognised. This has been another key example of the Club trying to manipulate and oversee events rather than entering into proper unfettered discussions about fans’ concerns.

Those concerns include the unsuitability of the ground, stewarding, away travel arrangements, investment, interest charged on owners’ loans, the apparent undersale of the Boleyn and a host of other things that we feel the Club has a duty to explain.

It is worth noting that UEFA, the PL and the Government have laid down regulations that include required dialogue with independent formal ISAs but that West Ham, along with the questionable Hull ownership, are the only 2 Clubs in the top 4 flights to refuse to do so.

The manipulation must stop and we need a strong, fully independent supporters’ group to seek to improve dialogue. The existing OSB should be disbanded, the SLO needs to represent the fans not the Club and we need to come together for mutual benefit.

Sadly it is only through the pressure of adverse media that the owners and Ms Brady in particular respond. We therefore urge all those wanting a change in direction to protest with us in a peaceful and yet vibrant manner.

Finally I can say that none of us want anything else. We have no personal agendas, no financial interest or ambitions. We just want the owners to fundamentally change their relationship with the support or to go'.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:50 pm

Considering the time of year, the weather should be pretty good, so no excuses for non attendance on that front.

likemydreams

Post by likemydreams » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Noble Man wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:33 pm
Just wish this was at the Brighton game on 1st Feb which I'm going to. Good luck to all that are going and let them know how we feel.
:crest: :crest: :crest:
to be fair if there isn't more then Saturday is a waste of time

Watford 'Ammer

Post by Watford 'Ammer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 pm

Although Hammers United are not an action group Saturday is, indeed, a pivotal moment. Having been inundated with requests to protest we have put ourselves out there and fronted an opportunity for people to come together.

Each and every individual has to decide if they wish to be part of this.

We believe we will continue to go from strength to strength however the protest passes off, but truth be known, getting the numbers would allow us to take a massive step in the right direction :crest:

All indications are that this will be well supported, I hope everyone takes this opportunity to come together.

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 am

Taken from Hammers Chat.

hd1.Thanks for your good wishes.
You ask fair questions and I will explain.

'You either want them out or you want them to talk.'
At this point the protest is to hold them to account and to demand change.However,should they remain entrenched and continue to refuse to engage then we would be forced to change the protest aims to GSB.out.

You correctly point out that statement 5 of our mission statement states 'This is not a protest group.'
However the full point 5 reads 'This is not a protest group.it would be great if the Board delivered on all fronts,however should they not deliver then we need to be organised and both ready and able to challenge them if the need arises. -They have not delivered.

You ask for clarification on whether we are meeting.well this is a difficult one!
We met them for an hour and a half at Stratford Holiday Inn.Jake Heath promised a reply within 2 days and that a further meeting would be arranged.-the meeting was very positive.
We heard nothing for some time,phone messages were exchanged,Jake saying he was busy and it was in hand.
After around 2 weeks we wrote again chasing and he replied
that infact he had never met H.U. but infact had met our delegates in their individual capacities as supporters.He would not meet representatives of Hammers united but would meet them again as supporters!
However,a couple of days later he wrote again asking H.U. to attend a meeting with him and a member of the OSB.I think he is once again reverting to the position that we should join the OSB.but to be honest the whole thing is confusing and I am sure you will draw your own conclusions.The correspondence was addressed to our joint Secretary Tross who is out of the country at the moment but who will I am sure reply and try to progress on his return this weekend.
Thanks mate.Hope this helps.

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:15 am

I like that statement on C&H. :thup:

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:09 am

hopefully a good attendance on Saturday and then it becomes a regular feature at home games. need to chant loud about the shysters on the TV games. lets get these shysters out of our club.

support the team but hate the board