Protests against the board being planned

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

DaveWHU1964

Re: Protests against the board being planned

Post by DaveWHU1964 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:42 pm

Looking at the piccies and seeing things like the boss's words are just pretty heart warming to be honest. Huge respect to those who attended and especially of curse those who organised it. You are amongst the very best of us. On a personal level I was choked to miss it but pretty much all Saturdays and loads of Sundays are out for me. Hoping for a mid-week protest at some stage.

Oh, the "there'll always be a West Ham" song. That took me back but that is THE perfect song for this and future protests. :crest:

Vince

Post by Vince » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:55 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:01 pm
And to those who asked for a transcript of my speech.

Hammers Utd demonstration: 'United For Change' speech
https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=43731
Fantastic. :thup:

wormley

Post by wormley » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:32 pm
What would probably make them quit, would be for 60,000 people in the stadium to rise as one and chant incessantly, non stop, GS&B out!
Is the correct answer.

The problem however is getting the tourists, fans of other clubs (with £99 WH season tickets) and families to join in. Not forgetting the fans that are, inexplicably, genuinely content with how the club is being run.

Even 1-2000 fans chanting it incessantly at home and away is going to have an impact.

PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am

Well done all involved today. Great turn out.

:crest:

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 am

Doc H Ball wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:24 pm

Isn't it amazing that those actually employed or making a living by being being 'fan voices' - the SLO, the OSB, Moose, C&H etc - all swerve an actual real fan protest? It's a bit like employing Nicolas Anelka in customer relations.

That's why the protest being so professionally organised was such a winner. For future protests they can't hide behind the "yobs and mobs" angle.

Ian Abrahams is so thick. Posting images of himself eating some rank Aunt Bessies apple pie in hospitality whilst the protest was taking place makes his comments on it worthless, if they were ever worth anything in the first place. I think he might just annoy the wrong people if he carries on.

SEAHammer

Post by SEAHammer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:25 am

6,000 miles awake woke up this morning fully expecting the media to have 'missed' the real fans, very pleasantly surprised to find coverage everywhere, a huge well done to all those who stood up for us yesterday .. don't let the momentum die like last time, we can get our club back, indeed we must.

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 am

Kialos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 am

Ian Abrahams is so thick. Posting images of himself eating some rank Aunt Bessies apple pie in hospitality whilst the protest was taking place makes his comments on it worthless, if they were ever worth anything in the first place. I think he might just annoy the wrong people if he carries on.
I 'm sure I'm not the only person proud to have seen these posts but equally gutted not have been there( for me it 's mobility,but people will have a myriad of reasons).
One thing any of us with access to a keyboard/phone CAN do , is to challenge halfwit media trash like Abrahams openly,on air,online (and preferably ,if I had anything to do with it,in person) constantly, day after day,programme after programme.
Everyone has a right to an opinion,but if you broadcast it you have to be prepared to justify it....and I think most genuine Hammers would be big enough to do that.....we should give him the chance....

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:03 am

Definitely happy to contribute to a louder sound system - it was a little “blessed are the cheese makers” in places.

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:25 am

Kialos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 am
That's why the protest being so professionally organised was such a winner. For future protests they can't hide behind the "yobs and mobs" angle.

Reminded me of "Let them eat cake"

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:02 am

Great speech :scarfer:
A guest on talksport referred to G&S as the Dildo brothers it was 3.30 am but made me chuckle , cannot for the life of me remember who the guest was .

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 am

Lol wtf you listening to TS for at that time in the morning bud?

steps

Post by steps » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 am

Great day, saw faces I haven’t seen for many a year, it all went really well I thought and good numbers for a first event. I’d say approx 1200. As momentum gathers I can only see more and more attending.

Well done Bubbles, UTJ, Watford Hammer et al.

A better PA system for the next one I reckon. :thup:

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:23 am

Nothing more to add really. Excellent speech UTJ, almost as good as your first one.

It was more a show of numbers, and this was a decent start. Great to see some familiar faces, that the move and migration had helped disperse.

The obvious lessons have been learnt by those organising, the message is being sent out the hierarchy of our club. That’s all we can do in the show of such crass, bigoted and patronising arrogance from GSB and their team of media minions.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:23 am

Georgee Paris wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:03 am
Definitely happy to contribute to a louder sound system - it was a little “blessed are the cheese makers” in places.

For they shall see curd ?

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 am

Ozza wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 am
Lol wtf you listening to TS for at that time in the morning bud?
Trying to blot out the noisy neighbours Ozza Headbanger

LOS

Post by LOS » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:30 am

Pleased to have been a part of that yesterday. I think its was Doc H that likened it to the old Denmark meetings, as part of an earlier ISA version. Proper West Ham people, united again for a proper cause. Can see this only growing, and mometum carrying 'the protest' into all sorts of manifestations.

Even the media spin isn't as GSB bias as it once was (see todays Times and the article about Brady, as an example).

There was 2 fairly large walking groups from Stratford station, which kinda mingled near chav square and the carpenters arms. As we went past the carpenters, you could here all the fans in there partying - and the DJ announced something along the lines of "if you wanna go protest abotu the club, nows the chance, join those outside".......I thought that was a blinding endorsement. Principles trumping commerical gain (take note GSB)

I must admist to feeling a dis-connected to those donned in claret and blue en route to game, as they walked over the bridges, and looking into the protest. Some of them with total disdain - didn't appreciate that.

I only went to the protest, not the game. So it was really weird going home against the flow of fans. And something there really struck a chord. Went from the protest to Stratford station. From there to West Ham station which included a C2C train pulling in packed with our match going fans,.......... And the part of that I cannot erase from my mind is that going past all those 1000's of fans, I didn;t see any joking around, singing, smiling even. Just a huge big unconnected (almost miserable) mob of people, going through the motions out of habit.

........But without doubt, the highlight for me yesterday was attending the closing ceremony at UP memorial gardens in the morning, prior to the protest. After the reverend had finished one part of his sermen, someone started singing bubbles. Of course we all joined in. Went through a whole range of emotions during those few minutes.......but felt beyond priviliged to have been there again, singing that song, in that place, with those people. :crest:
Last edited by LOS on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

smuts

Post by smuts » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:32 am

Great speech UTJ. :thup:

G and S are stuck in the 80's operating West Ham like a small division 2 club fighting to keep it's head above water. Brady has never run a business in her life and jumps on the coat tails of seedy old men like these two spies and Phillip Green. There is no plan, no strategy and if you think the stadium is bad, wait to see what it's like if we went down.

The sooner they are gone and someone with a bit of forward thinking comes in the better.

As for Moose, what a disgrace to journalism. There's a calm peaceful protest going on and you tweet about the Apple pie with half of it down your polo shirt...what an absolute weapon.

MadaHammer

Post by MadaHammer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 am

Thank you for organising it, I'm pleased to say I was part of it.

For a first attempt the turn out was fantastic. Over time things will improve. The PA system will become better which in turn will make more people stop by to see what's going on. I'd also suggest moving the time closer to kick off. Start at 2pm and finish just before 2.25pm to give people plenty of time to get through security. Starting the protest at 1pm means that people have to make more of an effort to attend. At 2pm more people will be around the park and it can be more impulsive than planned to drop by. Improve the PA once you raise more money for the cause or invest in a megaphone. I caught some of the speakers but for the most part it wasn't possible to hear, not that it really mattered as it was all about numbers.

You've begun to get traction with the press. Performances on the pitch are unlikely to improve anytime soon so more people will become frustrated and join the cause. Everyone behaved impecably yesterday so it was a credit to the organisers.

One other suggestion, I saw lots of people dropping beer cans. I think you should make a point of asking people to take their rubbish away with them as you don't want to be discredited by GSB saying they had to pay people to clear away after the protest.

Watford 'Ammer

Post by Watford 'Ammer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:41 am

Young guy with slicked back hair here 8-)

Firstly, thank you. Just thank you. We all did ourselves proud.

Secondly, the PA. I know!! Didn’t realise it wasn’t that loud... in a strange way it shows us for what we are; volunteers doing our best who have got lots still to do.

We will be releasing a statement very shortly but make no mistake about what has ALREADY been achieved...

We have credibility.
We have publicity.
We have a platform.
We have a family.
We have unity.
We have shown the doubters we have all of the above.
We have made a very good start.

rciron

Post by rciron » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:48 am

Eug wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:28 pm
You guys couldn't organise a protest, let alone a football club?
For God's sake, give it a rest