Protests against the board being planned

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Beavis Danzig

Re: Protests against the board being planned

Post by Beavis Danzig » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 pm

on the flip side, going down could serve as a wake up call. 25,000 tumbling around inside the only ground in the country that introduces a home disadvantage and loses £30m a year will be untennable and a club policy that is built on clinging onto the premier league gravy train, maximizing corporate interests to the detriment of the support and relying on tourists to take the seats of those who have been mugged off one too many times will go up in smoke.

i fear relegation not nearly as much as i fear a return to the status quo once we're safe. grasp the nettle and hammer them at every chance we can, if we win a few games of football in the process then happy days, but don't let the bastards out of your sights,

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 pm

hadleighhammer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:11 pm
That sounds very Sp*rsy.
Also a lot of ****.

What the hell have traditions got to do with getting promoted?

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 pm

Pocket Pardew wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 pm
Just for the record, Leeds ARE a bigger club than us and have struggled to get back up. Arguably Sunderland, Sheff Wed and Forest are just as big as we are.
:thup: Leeds were massive at one time.

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 am

Samba wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 pm
:thup: Leeds were massive at one time.
Forest never were.

V-M

Post by V-M » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 am

Vic_Watson wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 am
Forest never were.
Champions of Europe 2 seasons in a row. Have we ever even qualified to play in that competition?

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 am

Beavis Danzig wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 pm
on the flip side, going down could serve as a wake up call. 25,000 tumbling around inside the only ground in the country
I honestly don't think we'd get anywhere near that kinda capacity they used to always take for granted in years gone by at the Boleyn. This is a different beast now and should we go down, after all the **** we've had to endure since moving, I reckon they'd be lucky to get double figures. Around 10,000 would be the absolute top limit they should hope to see should it happen. And the feeling of avoiding going wouldn't be because we're in a lower division again, it'll be out of protest and the final straw to show them just what so many think of the **** show. When you get relegated, it's the die hards Clubs rely on to attend, not the tourists who would lose a lot of interest themselves for what's on offer. Wake up call? It'll be emergency alarm bells going off instead.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 am

the pink palermo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm
This, more than anything is what grinds my gears.

Their inability to simply say "sorry, we got it wrong", their refusal to accept the extent to which the matchday has been degraded for a huge number of long standing match attending supporters.
Pinks, trust me when I say, none of the 3 actually believe they have done anything wrong to start with. Until that is realised then we have a long, long wait for an apology. :thdn:

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:11 am

Pocket Pardew wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 pm
Just for the record, Leeds ARE a bigger club than us and have struggled to get back up. Arguably Sunderland, Sheff Wed and Forest are just as big as we are.
Arguably?!

They're massive clubs that have won league titles and European cups FFS!
Slightly bigger than us.

We're more comparable to Ipswich, and look where they are.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:57 am

War Pony wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 pm
Some of my best memories supporting west ham were in the championship! I think it was only a few weeks ago they showed the play off final against blackpool. I'd take that all day long over the rubbish we have been watching since we arrived at the bowl.
Last time, we had the right manager, at the right time, who had the benefit of knowing Kevin Nolan and getting him to come to us, Carlton Cole, Vaz Te, and all the other grafters like JoB, Gary O'Neill, ex-England keeper Rob Green, a younger Mark Noble, Tomkins, Collison, an in-form Winston Reid that got us back up at the first time. The current owners had only been here a couple of years, we had our own home and were an attractive proposition for managers and players alike, despite dropping down a level.

Fast forward 9 years to now and what have we got? A manager not exactly covering himself in glory yet, and I'm not sure he will, a toxic board that have been found out by the fans, media, and the football world alike, and a team of lazy, over-paid mercenaries who have the mental fragility of a soap bubble, and a 60k stadium that's not ours, and a fan base that see going to games as a chore rather than a pleasure.

Couple that with exorbitant prices for championship players with just a modicum of talent, debt still coming out of our ears, and a massive loss of income, I really cannot see us coming up again like last time. The circumstances are entirely different.

The only 'bonus' I can see would be that perhaps we'll see more of our academy players come through, but with only Declan Rice and Grady Diangana the only two of note that have come through in recent times, I'm not counting on there being a hidden talent pool to see us through.

Memory clouds judgement when good things happen, and my memory of the play off final was a pretty crap performance and us struggling until that Vaz Te goal and the subsequent euphoria and limbs, which pretty much summed up our entire stay down there that season. We didn't pull up any trees down there last time, and aside from the play-off final and the 6-0 drubbing of Brighton and the Vaz Te master class, it was all a bit pony and a damp squib. 5-1 to Ipswich anyone? The double done to us by the power house that is Derby County? Reading doing the double over us with a 7-1 aggregate? Threads being started because of the style of football after a 4-0 win over Watford? That season really wasn't that great, and playing good football wasn't a given. We won some games, and the play-off final was a brilliant day out, but let's not have revisionism of how great it was down there. It was ****. Going down now would be even worse, and we don't have the mixture of young, British talent, and experienced pros (Guy Demel, George McCartney) to get us up again.

If we go down and my prophesies of doom are wrong and we come back up, then brilliant, I'll be over the moon to be wrong. But I wouldn't be getting the champagne on ice just yet. Relegation won't just hurt the board - it will devastate thousands upon thousands of supporters too. I don't really fancy cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 am

rossmundo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm
Who thinks they will they sell up if we go down?
Wishful thinking I’d guess. Sullivan has been quoted as saying “we always come straight back when we go down” after all. I suspect they’d then give Moyes until Xmas to get us into at least the playoff places.

2023 is the date we should be looking forward to.

I’d also disagree that gates would drop to sub 25000. There are thousands to whom the day out and the opportunity to meet pals is something they can’t give up. The football is almost academic.
Last edited by Westbourne Bill on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 am

the pink palermo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm
Over 3 years have passed since I started the Taxi for Karren thread on here. Three long years she's dug in, refused to accept the reality of her enormous error regardless of all the evidence that stares her in the face of what a complete cock up the stadium and the stadium deal is from the supporter perspective.
And three years of getting 50,000 gate receipts every other week. They probably think it's going swimmingly.

If I was guessing I would think they are more regretful about spending the 100m under Pellegrini. If you are lucky you might get them to say we aren't doing that again

Shy Ted

Post by Shy Ted » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:26 am

DL
:thup: Great post.

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:57 am
Last time, we had the right manager etc.........
I don't understand the requirement to stay in the prem. Its not what football's about, for me, and its just not that enjoyable. As is often said, it's become about the business rather than the game. I wouldn't miss it.

I enjoyed our stints in the championship far, far more than most recent seasons. I've got mates who support Fulham, Pompey, Orient, and even with all the bad times they've had they still care and they still enjoy a day out.

I would rather watch 11 players giving it a go in front of 5k proper fans against Gillingham, than endure more "what's the least we can get away with" while the stooges bend us over. In fact, I'd start going again if that happens.

MadMart

Post by MadMart » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am

rossmundo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm
Who thinks they will they sell up if we go down?
They will definitely NOT sell up if we go down - best hope we have is to stay up and keep up the Protest Power to shame them out.
Re the banner at Liverpool - who ****ing cares who holds it up, get over yourselves - we have a job to do and should accept any help provided - it will be a first for Sky - "Opposition fans show unity with protesting Hammers" - ****ing great stuff IMO. Let's keep together and stop being so ****ing precious

S-H

Post by S-H » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am
I don't understand the requirement to stay in the prem. Its not what football's about, for me, and its just not that enjoyable. As is often said, it's become about the business rather than the game. I wouldn't miss it.

I enjoyed our stints in the championship far, far more than most recent seasons. I've got mates who support Fulham, Pompey, Orient, and even with all the bad times they've had they still care and they still enjoy a day out.

I would rather watch 11 players giving it a go in front of 5k proper fans against Gillingham, than endure more "what's the least we can get away with" while the stooges bend us over. In fact, I'd start going again if that happens.
This is where I'm at too.

:thup:

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 am

Maybe this belongs in the relegation thread, but a continuation of my previous posts in this one:

In no particular order:

Bolton Wanderers
Coventry City
Blackpool
Portsmouth
Sunderland
Ipswich Town
West Bromwich Albion*
Leeds United*
Fulham*
Nottingham Forest*
Cardiff City
Blackburn Rovers
Swansea City
Sheffield Wednesday
Derby County
Birmingham City
Hull City
Queens Park Rangers
Middlesbrough
Charlton Athletic
Stoke City
Reading

The asterisk denotes clubs that have a realistic chance of being in The PL next season.

That's 22 clubs who, in relatively recent times have been PL regulars, or historically a top flight club, who at the moment are languishing in The Championship and League One. One of those clubs are PL winners, one of those clubs won the last ever Division One title. Clubs that have played in The Champions League, clubs that have won The FA Cup, clubs that have won The League Cup, clubs that have qualified for UEFA Cup/Europe League, and going back a bit further, in my lifetime, more clubs that have won Top-Flight, a club that has won UEFA Cup, a club with two European titles.

There's some big clubs there, clubs that are or have been bigger than us, clubs that are roundabout the same size. We could quite conceivable be any one of those. Bigger and better clubs than us have failed to get up because relegation and finances killed them. We could be next. We're not immune to it, just like they wasn't.

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 am

I bet almost all of their fans have a more enjoyable time than ours.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:10 am

We're bigger than all those clubs.

Yes, I know, Leeds. They're a shadow of what they were, and it's not because they were relegated from the Premier League.

I truly believe we will flounder until we are run properly. If it takes 5 years, 10, 15, more, that's fine with me. The destination only matters to me if we do the right things on the way there. If we spend our way back up, just for them to carry out the same nonsense, then we might as well not bother.

sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 am

I bet they all got 6 points of us the year they got relegated ;-)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:13 am

Good post DL.

I personally find it quite odd that some seem to be viewing previous relegations through claret and blue specs. The Championship and Division One is full of so called 'big clubs', with equally great traditions, wallowing in obscurity - for years. Perhaps, its a bit like therapy for those that wish it, a kind of self harm for the victims. The other point is that the chances of GSB selling up are many times more likely in the Premiership than out of it. As I say I don't understand it. If you want 'real' football with small crowds, tight ground etc. then support your local club, they would be more grateful for your support than West Ham ever will.