Protests against the board being planned

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Heysel76

Re: Protests against the board being planned

Post by Heysel76 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am

I think the problem has been solved.
Over on C&H it has been suggested that we crowd fund the club- simple but brilliant :thdn:

bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:24 am

They had started to turn in our favour but back to form now.

Would anyone here trust their well earned money with GSB to invest? Anyone? Sean Whetstone?...

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 am

Porkeyes wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:16 am

So for me it hurts GSB and I will start going again, if only away games.

I think we all agree we want them out. I fail to see how relegation will achieve that. But as you've just said, you'll go again even if it's just away games - but what about the home games? That's where we'll play 23 of them if we go down. That's where the overwhelming majority of fans watch us.

It's **** now, 25 - 30k fans will be even worse (and that's what I meant in an earlier post when I asked would the atmosphere be better than if we had 60k in there - not that the atmosphere was already good, because it's far from it).
LOS wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:18 am
We've got to find our idenity again, and go on from there.
We won't find our identity again whilst two things are in play. Us being in that stadium and GSB still being here, and relegation won't solve either of those.

Get GSB out, get the club well run, and whilst the ground will still be there, if the football was more enjoyable and we were not being mugged off, that would be a huge improvement over how things stand right now.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 am

if there's only 25k proper irons in there and the stadium and greater sullivan vanity project is widely acknowledged to be an utter fuckup of monstrous proportions then i'll feel better about going there, less like i'm complicit in a lie.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 am

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 am

We won't find our identity again whilst two things are in play. Us being in that stadium and GSB still being here, and relegation won't solve either of those.
It might.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 am
It might.
Yep, we might do a Coventry City....

Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am

DL- I would come back to the home games once they are gone regardless of which division we are in. I miss it every time we play it's a constant reminder of the massive part of my life that is now missing. I also think that 20-25k hardcore will always create more atmosphere and noise than the diluted mess we have these days over there which is a mixture of fans of other clubs on a jolly, tourists and people dressed as white seats. Squash us in the lower tier, or safe standing the whole Billy Bonds stand, do something to give having an atmosphere a chance.

Anyway all dreams, ifs and buts, we'll still be saying the same **** this time next year, again.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 am

for me, finding some identity and rebuilding a connection to the club is far more important to me as it stands than winning anything on the pitch.

i don't want to go down, but don't want to stay up at the price of complacency either.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am

Porkeyes wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am

Anyway all dreams, ifs and buts, we'll still be saying the same **** this time next year, again.
...when we're in the bottom 3 of The Championship... :D

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am

Porkeyes wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am
I would come back to the home games once they are gone.
Yep. Me too....and hundreds, maybe thousands more?

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 am
It might.
I doubt it.

Clubs of our size who try to get promoted generally have awful mish-mash teams assembled expensively and hastily, mixed in with the dregs of the relegated side who you couldn't shift. Identity is one thing that will not be found by dropping a division.

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:10 am
We're bigger than all those clubs.

Yes, I know, Leeds. They're a shadow of what they were, and it's not because they were relegated from the Premier League.
Right now we probably are because we are in the PL and they all aren't. I think DLs point is many of them have been bigger than us at various times and haven't been able to get out of the mess they got in. I would totally agree we are bigger than the majority of that list, there are a few I would argue are bigger though.

I think perspective comes into it too. People in london probably see us as a bigger club than the rest of the country does. Round here we are seen as a pretty much 2nd rate club that used to produce a few good players. You would get laughed at saying we were bigger than Leeds. TBH taking current league status out of it I would say they are a bigger club than we are. Them going down was a much bigger story than us dropping ever is - this season might be different with the OS and all.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am
Yep, we might do a Coventry City....
What, not own a stadium?

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am
What, not own a stadium?
Not own a stadium, get in to dispute with the owners of it, dropping down the leagues, and end up doing the football equivalent of sleeping on someone's couch

wormley

Post by wormley » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am
Yep. Me too....and hundreds, maybe thousands more?
At least 10k, probably more.

(Wives permitting)

LOS

Post by LOS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 am

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 am
Not own a stadium, get in to dispute with the owners of it, dropping down the leagues, and end up doing the football equivalent of sleeping on someone's couch
A coventry situation may well be the end game for West Ham.So so sad. However, they play, and their supporters go watch at a proper football ground. (And the ricoh too was a great arena, and Highfield road before that). So even if we do end up sleeping on someones sofa, IMO, at least its a sofa, and not the dining room table we have today prentending to be a sofa.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:31 am

wormley wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 am
At least 10k, probably more.

(Wives permitting)
Well our highest attendance last time we were down there was 35k, in a proper ground. I think we'd be lucky to hit that even without GSB.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:47 am

you reckon leeds supporters are jealous of us and would swap positions?

not so sure myself.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am

I think the other clubs mentioned either i) punched above their weight and when they dropped, for whatever reason, levelled off; or ii) are big clubs and at times have done well.

I do believe though that West Ham is a bigger club, in spite of how we have been run for most of the last 40 years. We are the shittest big club/biggest **** club.

taffhammer

Post by taffhammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 am

Get GSB out, get the club well run, and whilst the ground will still be there, if the football was more enjoyable and we were not being mugged off, that would be a huge improvement over how things stand right now.
Interesting points but for me even though GSB have to go ( they sold us a lie to line their pockets ) and the stadium is not fit for purpose i think high on the list of grievences is the premier league. While we all got conned and moved because we thought we could compete for a european spot the lack of investment and no scouting system means we will be avoiding relegation every season. Whats the point of being in a league you can't compete in ? I think i'd rather see us compete against the Leeds and West Broms and rebuild, even at the risk of sliding down the leagues, than marvel at City's superstars knowing we'll get battered.