Protests against the board being planned

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Vic_Watson

Re: Protests against the board being planned

Post by Vic_Watson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm

V-M wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 am
Champions of Europe 2 seasons in a row. Have we ever even qualified to play in that competition?
And Pompey and Wigan have won the FA Cup since we did. Bigness is not about trophies.

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 pm

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am
Yep, we might do a Coventry City....
I think we're more likely to do a Bolton, to be honest. Managerial go around, miss out on promotion for a couple of years, parachute payments stop, financial irregularities, HMRC get us, multiple ownership changes, drop through the leagues.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:04 pm

Aceface wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am
I doubt it.

Clubs of our size who try to get promoted generally have awful mish-mash teams assembled expensively and hastily, mixed in with the dregs of the relegated side who you couldn't shift. Identity is one thing that will not be found by dropping a division.
For the most part, I could just use Ace as a conduit for my better opinions, and I agree with him here too.

I think the only way we’d find a new identity in relegation is if we sank horribly and to a point we really wouldn’t enjoy. I think it would be extremely hard, anyway.

Personally, I think a lot of the “relegation will be good” thinking hangs on us going down and being good again. Which is fine, but by no means guaranteed.

The Championship has evolved. It’s not a throwback league like it used to be, not tactically anyway, and momentum is such a huge deal too.

They take risks on younger players, younger coaches and different styles now. We bullied our way up, it doesn’t happen so much like that any more. Wolves, Norwich, Sheffield United - all came up with fresh styles and some innovation. Wolves may have spent big, but they also did it well and with tactically forward thinking coaches too.

Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:01 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:24 am
They had started to turn in our favour but back to form now.
Yep, i noticed that

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm

Hugh’s gotta earn

ornchurch ammer

Post by ornchurch ammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm

The last couple of times in the Chumpionship we struggled with being every other teams cup final and struggled up via the play-offs. We never did a Newcastle and dominated the division and won the thing.

What makes people think it will be any different if we go down again?

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm

ornchurch ammer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm
The last couple of times in the Chumpionship we struggled with being every other teams cup final and struggled up via the play-offs. We never did a Newcastle and dominated the division and won the thing.

What makes people think it will be any different if we go down again?
What makes you think people do think that?

ornchurch ammer

Post by ornchurch ammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Mega Ron wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
What makes you think people do think that?
There are a lot of posts, on here and on WHO, along the lines of: going down will be good for us. We can get rid of the tourist fans, regroup and come back up.

Personally I think that the only true part of that will be the loss of some of the tourist fans. The rest of playing in the second rate division in the pit of doom will be purgatory and doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 pm

ornchurch ammer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:10 pm
There are a lot of posts, on here and on WHO, along the lines of: going down will be good for us. We can get rid of the tourist fans, regroup and come back up.

Personally I think that the only true part of that will be the loss of some of the tourist fans. The rest of playing in the second rate division in the pit of doom will be purgatory and doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
You mean the tourist fans that will return when (if) we go back up? Those ones?

wormley

Post by wormley » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:21 pm

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:31 am
Well our highest attendance last time we were down there was 35k, in a proper ground. I think we'd be lucky to hit that even without GSB.
I was responding to how many fans would likely return post GSB, regardless of division.

I don't think the resurgence of disaffected supporters can be underestimated.

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:41 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 am
Sullivan has been quoted as saying “we always come straight back when we go down”.
The past cannot totally predict the future.
He has no way of promising that's what will happen next time & it's meaningless, him saying it.
That's similar to him saying, 'Champions League in five years time'.

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 am
I bet almost all of their fans have a more enjoyable time than ours.
That may be true but only largely because of where we now play.

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm

"Sullivan has been quoted as saying “we always come straight back when we go down”."

So I must have dreamt that playoff loss to Palace.

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:50 pm

If we thought losing Upton Park under GSB was bad, how bad would it feel if they took us down to the third tier for the first time in our history?
It could happen & them still be here.

rossmundo

Post by rossmundo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 pm

-DL- wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm
Not me. If we go down, we'll depreciate heavily, and nobody will be willing to pay the money it would cost to buy us and clear the debt if we are a tier 2 club, even if they did want to sell. But they won't want to sell anyway, because they think they're clever and would get us back up again in quick time.

Personally, I think if we do go down, we'll be down there for a very long time this time, and as the time passes, we'll become a Leeds or a Forest, and to a lesser degree, Sheff Wednesday - once great clubs that have been relegated to almost never return, apart from the brief flirtation with promotion - but to be honest, I don't think we'll even manage that.

Going off topic slightly, but I think relegation this time will be disastrous for us - not just in the short, term, but for the long term. The days of playing the top teams in the land, days out at Tottenham, Chelsea, the odd stuffing of Man Utd on their turf will be long gone - and for the first couple of years, we'll be the scalp - until eventually, we'll be nothing but another also ran club with only an away-day at Millwall to look forward to, and away days at new grounds - but the novelty will soon wear off after a couple of years, especially if Millwall went down and one of our most local derbies would be at Gillingham should they get promoted.

May sound good now to those that say they don't care if we go down, but we'll never see the likes of Payet again, and the only time we'll witness top quality players would be when the big clubs come to visit in cup games, and top flight football will become a distant memory.

I don't mean to be pessimistic and all doom and gloom, but I genuinely believe that relegation now will be the final nail in the coffin and we won't be up again for many years, if ever. Too many once Championship clubs have come up and are doing well. The status quo is yet again changing, as it does in cycles in football. And if we go down, we're going to lose our seat at the table, probably permanently. In a 60k stadium. It would actually be quite laughable, but the reality is - it's incredibly sad.
Top post mate :thup:

Me personally, I think they will be driven out, two old boys like that ain't gonna want all the agg when it gets real messy.

Pob!

Post by Pob! » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:15 pm

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am
Yep, we might do a Coventry City....
If we do we do!

We no longer have an identity, real supporters walking away in their droves, no home and no hope of winning anything.

If it shows everyone that Gold Sullivan and Brady are the people who destroyed a once proud historic top flight football club purely for their own personal greed then so be it.

Pulls up Trees

Post by Pulls up Trees » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm

One popular comment on here is that it's never about the results and people would watch us in League 1 or 2. I'd be interested in a poll to see how strong that view is... Question would be: Would you take a relegation (or two) if it guaranteed GSB's exit?

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Pulls up Trees wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm
Would you take a relegation (or two) if it guaranteed GSB's exit?
I'd even take three!

Hello there!

Post by Hello there! » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:07 pm

Vic_Watson wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:52 pm
I'd even take three!
:thup:
As many as it takes.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Samba wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:50 pm
If we thought losing Upton Park under GSB was bad, how bad would it feel if they took us down to the third tier for the first time in our history?
It could happen & them still be here.
I think they'd need round the clock security....if they havent already.