Protests against the board being planned

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Marlow Vaderman

Re: Protests against the board being planned

Post by Marlow Vaderman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:08 pm

There are many ways to protest without breaking any laws. And Sky TV is a window to the world..

Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:22 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:44 am
i gave my season ticket up last season because i felt so disconnected with the club, stadium and a lot of the new supporters we attract BUT Saturdays werent the same, missed drinking with my mates and the laughs we have. So we now have 2 ST between 3 of us and pick and choose what games we want to go to between us taking into consideration those we are unable to attend.

the problem with just staying away is that they already have our money

im all up for protests though and if they no longer attend games due to these protests then its a step in the right direction.

its terrible that so many ardent supporters are turning their back on the club (me previously being one of them) and hopefully they will return once GSB are gone BUT even if/when they do go we are still left with a terrible stadium that constantly wins the worst in the premier league award, stewards that dont understand our support and daytrippers that are diluting the atmosphere.

Dont even get me started on the ****ing half & half scarves that grown men purchase - if they were on sale down green street i think the sellers would have got a dig or 2

never a truer word sung than - youre not west ham anymore
I've stopped giving my money to the Axis of Evil, I understand a lot can't give the team up but unfortunately it's the only thing that GSB understand.
A point about the half n' half scarves, there were plenty being made and being sold on Green St, I never heard of any of the sellers getting a dig and I knew quite a few of them, I've supplied plenty myself. For the last Cup debacle at Wigan a couple of seasons ago I had a match scarf made, not a half and half, I think I sold about 6 or 7, everyone wanted the half n' half and I didn't see many tourists that day. I've been selling a protest scarf for the last 3 years, I might have sold 1 that day. I get asked what ABGSB stands for, that's on the scarf and on the badges I gave away at the small march after the proposed 'big one', the same as 86%, there doesn't seem to be much appetite for demonstrating in my opinion.

LOS

Post by LOS » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 pm

goa127 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:00 pm
To say that it's nothing to do with onfield performances is delusional. Before our dramatic Roberto-inspired slump no-one was calling for protests. Lots of people complained about our summer transfer business (or lack of it) but they weren't talking about taking to the streets.
Partially agree, the dis-content has always been there since 2016, but the downturn in results does show a correlation. yet we never protested about results in our prior 115 years - same fans, same crap results.....whats changed ?
goa127 wrote:
The Burnley kerfuffle two seasons ago has gone into folklore as a defining moment but the reality of that moment was the majority of our supporters in the stadium were angry at the pitch invaders, just below where I sit they were immeadiately attacked when they got back into the stand.
The crux of it IMO. Highlights the split. You think a couple of loons attacking those returning pitch invaders transaltes into the majority of the stadium were angry....... at the pitch invaders. I dont think they were. The only person I saw / met that day angry with the pitch invaders was Mark Noble. Many others were grateful for their sacrafice.
goa127 wrote:
Most supporters just don't care until things go badly on the pitch. I know many Irons supporters from different places and the vast majority of them don't really care about the board (although I've met no one who likes them) all they care about is the team on the pitch. It may well be true that many supporters of long standing have drifted away (I did a bit about 10 years ago) but there's still plenty to replace them. Whether this is good or bad I'm not one to judge

Agree with the fans drifting part, but usually this is for personal circumstances rather than dis-satisfaction with the club.

We've been **** for years, suffered relegations and humiliations. There were no protests then. We have to look at whats changed.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:30 pm

I think your last question is easily answered LOS. What's changed is expectation. GSB promised a brave new world and it's not materialised Even this season it's the early season optimism that's made the slump so hard to take. When GSB took over we were at a very low point and they told people they were going to change everything for the better. Well, they haven't

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:30 pm

goa127 wrote:
To say that it's nothing to do with onfield performances is delusional. Before our dramatic Roberto-inspired slump no-one was calling for protests. Lots of people complained about our summer transfer business (or lack of it) but they weren't talking about taking to the streets. The Burnley kerfuffle two seasons ago has gone into folklore as a defining moment but the reality of that moment was the majority of our supporters in the stadium were angry at the pitch invaders, just below where I sit they were immeadiately attacked when they got back into the stand. Most supporters just don't care until things go badly on the pitch. I know many Irons supporters from different places and the vast majority of them don't really care about the board (although I've met no one who likes them) all they care about is the team on the pitch. It may well be true that many supporters of long standing have drifted away (I did a bit about 10 years ago) but there's still plenty to replace them. Whether this is good or bad I'm not one to judge
I'll say it again and again, Hammers United have been going since March this year so don't say no one has been complaining. They've been on West Ham's case weekly, so don't make out a few bad results have created this.
It's 10 years of GSB, it's wrong managers, wrong players, under-funding, lies and promises, an awful stadium, a soulless area that West Ham can do nothing about...it's about bad stewarding, away fans (still) in home stands, it's about club cash, it's about champions place stones...it's about fans of 40 or 50 years so disillusioned they've jacked in...do you know on home match days there's people from all over the country go to Plaistow and have a beer...they won't step foot in the stadium?
It's for them...
And in my case it's for my son, so he has a West Ham to follow (and be proud of)

We're a laughing stock
We're not West Ham United FC anymore

Some people who care deeply want to do something about it...don't you ****ing dare calling us fickle or delusional.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm

I understand what you're saying Phil but are you telling me that your organisation hasn't had a massive upsurge in support in the last few weeks? I wish you luck in dealing with the board and admire your willingness to try and get through to people who don't want to listen

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:47 pm

goa127 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm
I understand what you're saying Phil but are you telling me that your organisation hasn't had a massive upsurge in support in the last few weeks? I wish you luck in dealing with the board and admire your willingness to try and get through to people who don't want to listen
No it hasn't had a massive upsurge. A little higher than it had been perhaps. I don't know the figures but in the last few weeks maybe 200 new members?

S-H

Post by S-H » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Fair play Phil, I'm behind HU and the protest 100%. I just think the timing of it is significant, and would be seen by the outside world and the board as a protest because things aren't going well on the pitch, to achieve maximum effect, protest against them if/when there is an upturn in results, so that the focus will be on the points that matter.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:57 pm

I'm not try to demean what supporters action groups are trying to achieve, I applaud it. I kinda view it like I view dedicated away supporters, a mixture of admiration and wondering why you'd put yourself through it. Most supporters are generally apathetic, and their anger melts away after some decent performances. I hope you can get through to our board but I'm not overly optimistic

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Phil S wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:30 pm
Some people who care deeply want to do something about it...don't you ****ing dare calling us fickle or delusional.
You don't need to take it personally dude, but I genuinely think a lot of those who would be on board with a protest are fickle, and I think everyone is quite delusional about what they could potentially achieve as well.

The owners aren't going anywhere till they get the price they want from someone else.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:01 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 pm
The fact these only seem to take place when we're playing crap and losing really does detract from their credibility in my opinion.
When I saw the thread title I thought the same thing. It took me until post #2 to see someone say it.

Where were the protests in the summer when we were lumping 45m on a striker? If we weren't on a cr4p run there would not be protests. If there is a protest it will be directly due to results rather than the running of the club. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the club with different ownership, but as FJ says this loses all credibility.

I get that there has been active supporters groups and I applaud their efforts, but someone has to consider PR. It worked last time but this will be well and truly used to the owners advantage this time. The same thing with Hammers United; if we were sitting in the top 6 would there still be a protest? It's either due to the results, or using the results to get us fans on board with it. Whichever one of those options it is, this protest is a direct result of our recent run.

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Phil is right.No massive surge in support for Hammers United..-6100 now.Increases by 130 a week.Mass support would be helped if other fans groups endorsed.-But they wont.

If we have to go it alone then so be it.Our stance has not changed since we founded in March.

I was at Plaistow Phil.Breaks your heart mate.Every week more old core come saying they will not go in the soulless bowl anymore.The club is dying mate,and it seems that only Hammers United give a f***.-Do WHUISA still exist?

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:06 pm

S-H wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:52 pm
Fair play Phil, I'm behind HU and the protest 100%. I just think the timing of it is significant, and would be seen by the outside world and the board as a protest because things aren't going well on the pitch, to achieve maximum effect, protest against them if/when there is an upturn in results, so that the focus will be on the points that matter.
As far as I know, any protest currently under discussion is nothing to do with HU

I saw rumblings yesterday, I spoke to one guy on twitter who said something is coming then the OP on here and Hammers chat posted about protests being planned.

Personally I'd be happy to protest and have no agenda...the agenda can come with numbers and acceptance that the club will speak to the fans. The timing and who sees it as current results based doesn't bother me. They made statements and promises and haven't delivered...10 years
Have a read of their original 10 point plan...one of them was engage with the fans, another was get the right manager :lol:

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:07 pm

Phil S wrote:

see Phil, this is one big reason why I never originally joined HU

someone was really abusive to Wembley when he asked a reasonable question early doors. recently HU seemed to be back on board but here you go being abusive. I'm about ready to ask for my membership to be cancelled

if you can't make your case without resorting to personal abuse, how the hell are you going to engage with a dialogue with the board ?

now maybe the phrase rankled. fair enough. I do think the poster has a point but maybe put it too strongly. however, you should be able to continue the dialogue without resorting to the same langue as the initial poster.

I am concerned by your attitude. you are taking things too personally and come across as speaking for HU with your vitriol.

taffhammer

Post by taffhammer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:08 pm

goa127 wrote:
they told people they were going to change everything for the better. Well, they haven't
So why be little people who want to let them know what they think about that ? It's our club for a life time whilst they are milking it short term.

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Northbank Bar wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 pm
Phil is right.No massive surge in support for Hammers United..-6100 now.Increases by 130 a week.Mass support would be helped if other fans groups endorsed.-But they wont.

If we have to go it alone then so be it.Our stance has not changed since we founded in March.

I was at Plaistow Phil.Breaks your heart mate.Every week more old core come saying they will not go in the soulless bowl anymore.The club is dying mate,and it seems that only Hammers United give a ****.-Do WHUISA still exist?
I'm not going to knock Whuisa as I'm sure blunderbuss will be straight on to me..
Last I heard they only have 3 committee members so I'm not sure what's going on.

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:07 pm
see Phil, this is one big reason why I never originally joined HU

someone was really abusive to Wembley when he asked a reasonable question early doors. recently HU seemed to be back on board but here you go being abusive. I'm about ready to ask for my membership to be cancelled

if you can't make your case without resorting to personal abuse, how the hell are you going to engage with a dialogue with the board ?

now maybe the phrase rankled. fair enough. I do think the poster has a point but maybe put it too strongly. however, you should be able to continue the dialogue without resorting to the same langue as the initial poster.

I am concerned by your attitude. you are taking things too personally and come across as speaking for HU with your vitriol.
lol, I'm a member of HU only
I'm not on the committee and I am speaking on behalf of ME
being accused of being fickle / delusional does rankle, yes.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:16 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:44 am

never a truer word sung than - youre not west ham anymore
100% - maybe we need to turn it round and get the stadium to sing "we're not West Ham anymore"

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 am

The only thing they listen to is their wallet. Don't go to games, don't watch us on telly, don't engage with the club in any way. That's the only protest that will work long term.
Agree. It’s not even West Ham United FC anymore,nothing about it,it’s all gone. Just find something else to do and remember the good times.
It’s just a rotting corpse.

LOS

Post by LOS » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Northbank Bar wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 pm
Every week more old core come saying they will not go in the soulless bowl anymore.The club is dying mate,and it seems that only Hammers United give a ****.
Then theres the core of the protest group right there. People who have given up because of the new gaff, so cannot be accused of it being results dependant, or fickle. These are the very people who could be engergised most effectively as these are the people that have already lost what they love. They do not have anything left to lose. Staying away is these people's protest. I fall in that category.

People in this group may well be good n proper West Ham, but we are now invisible to the club, so getting our voices heard / displaying banners in the stadium is out.

Please dont think HU have to go it alone. Most of the 'members' of these groups are not exclusive to one outlet. I'd wager you've got loads of WHUISA / WHO / KUMB / HC / Batman / Princess / LLTB members as part of the HU membership. So i dont see it as an issue of uniting the social media groups, as the members are laregly the same (Hugh aside :lol: ) The problem is how to effectively protest that includes the Ex-attendees as well as current.

Apathy has become our biggest weakness.