Protests against the board being planned

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Northbank Bar

Re: Protests against the board being planned

Post by Northbank Bar » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:24 pm

Denzil.Hammers United have been trying to get the club to speak to democratically elected groups for months now.We have support from the FSA.An MP has written to the club.They are breaking EUFa,Premier League and DCMS guidelines.We have no-where else to go if they keep refusing to engage.If West Ham were to win their next 6 games we would still have to take some sort of action.

More recently we have started to campaign for the club to sanction expenditure for the improvements to the squad necessary in January to give us a chance of staying up.-This is as instructed by our members.This is results linked because if the team was doing well then it could be argued that expenditure was not necessary.

We are not planning protests yet.But if the club refuse to engage and/or do not sanction expenditure in the January window then we will .

Thank You.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:27 pm

Northbank, thank you for providing clarity around it. That seems a sensible approach and I am glad to hear that the owners are already aware of, and ignoring, supporter groups reaching out (not happy they are ignoring them but happy this is not an off-the-cuff protest).

If you don't mind me asking, what do the FSA have interest in and support for? Is there something untoward with our finances...?

*edit* sorry have confused FSA with FCA...!
Last edited by Denzil on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:27 pm

Phil

as I said "you come across as speaking for" - as you do. if you're not then okay. I take your word for it.

the way and content of your posts does come across to me at least, that you are speaking on behalf of the HU lot

even if not, then you still, if you are "punting for increased membership" need to be able to speak a little more eloquently or you give the impression (again at least to me) that you cannot enter into a reasonable dialogue with anyone let alone the board and if you do "come across" and the rank and file then it paint HU in a less than admirable light.

imvho that is

I have expressed my hope that HU do achieve something again with my reservations that they won't get anywhere.

my "hope" is that my "hope" trumps my "reservations."

but you ain't doing yourself or the membership of HU if you can't engage in reasonable dialogue with posters on here

there's getting to be too much personal attacks on here about anything from Pellegrini to formations to subs etc

(not accusing you of engaging in those at all) instead of offering countering discussions/points of view.

I would miss the sensible blokes on here chatting with but I am about ready to step away from the GD and limit myself to the other forums whereby you can have a discussion without having to deal with what seem to be immature teenagers who regurgitate stuff and continue to call anyone with a differing viewpoint a "panty wetter" "knee jerky" or similar.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Denzil wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:16 pm
100% - maybe we need to turn it round and get the stadium to sing "we're not West Ham anymore"
Can imagine Brady smiling hearing that.

Not West Ham anymore, yet still paying her wage.

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:37 pm

Northbank Bar wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:24 pm
Denzil.Hammers United have been trying to get the club to speak to democratically elected groups for months now.We have support from the FSA.An MP has written to the club.They are breaking EUFa,Premier League and DCMS guidelines.We have no-where else to go if they keep refusing to engage.If West Ham were to win their next 6 games we would still have to take some sort of action.

More recently we have started to campaign for the club to sanction expenditure for the improvements to the squad necessary in January to give us a chance of staying up.-This is as instructed by our members.This is results linked because if the team was doing well then it could be argued that expenditure was not necessary.
Can you break a guideline? Is what they are doing illegal in regards the competitions they are in? If not, no matter who is on board they will just continue to ignore you.

Are you providing a list of targets they should go after or an amount to be spent? What if they buy and it still doesn't work? Results linked, so its just hindsight bad buys that we are going to protest over. What about if the GK gets injured are we protesting the investment or the results?

Honestly you guys are genuinely trying to fill a need for fans but some of this stuff is a bit silly to me.

If you start from the position that the board will never speak to you or take any interest in what you represent then what is the plan?

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Be interesting to see how 90 minutes of coordinated, expletive laden vitriol was met.

Be quite hard to broadcast our games in that instance.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:42 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm
Be interesting to see how 90 minutes of coordinated, expletive laden vitriol was met.

Be quite hard to broadcast our games in that instance.
Would at least make the game worth watching

DrVenk

Post by DrVenk » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm

What is remarkable, is that so many long term fans who have shelled out 10s of thousands of pounds + plus decades of loyal support who have been treated like sh*t from our current owners, still feel that there is something worth fighting for. I doff my cap to that sentiment.

Fj is right that the timing of this would suggest that we are being a bit muggy and merely kicking off because of results BUT as Phil points out, there have been anti-board campaigns in place for a good while now. Look, we don't get to remove a poisonous regime through one or two protests. Just like any political battle, it is often a battle of attrition. Constant, persistent, belligerent protesting both inside and outside of the stadium is what is required. This board will only stand aside if we take a 'death by a thousand cuts' approach.

We all know plenty of fans who have held the club at arms length for a while now. Not completely disengaged, but not part of the bandwagon either, so to speak. Every week that has passed, the totality of this board's ownership becomes ever more apparent, and every week, more and more loyal supporters push WHUFC a little bit further away. It's not just them personally (and they are not very nice people, to say the least) or even the stadium which I will maintain we CAN make work. It is the sheer incompetence with managers. They are so out of their depth it is untrue. I slowly started to put WHUFC to the back of mind soon after Pellegrini's appointment. Lurching from Avram to Allardyce (no continuity there), from Allardyce to Blic (ditto), from Bilic to Moyes (ditto), from Moyes to Pellegrini (double ditto) - not a SHRED of strategy; not an ounce of building a squad and a vision across consecutive squads. Back and forth between saving our arses on the one hand, and desperate attempts to be part of some glitzy elite on the other. And now they might go for Rafa even though he would have been the more suitable appointment after the defensively-minded Moyes. They'll soon realise (again) that their half baked, half funded attempt for glitz and glory has fallen flat once more, so they'll retreat back to a more % based manager to protect their investment. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. Only a mad person would continue with this approach believing that we can attain some modicum of stability and success.

GSB OUT

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Sammy

as you know from both of our past posts on here, I agree - how can you break a guideline ? there is nothing that "requires" a fan board. and even if there were, the OSB covers that.

and as for asking for more funding, playing Devil's Advocate I can't see why the board can be held accountable for investments or lack of.

I don't see people protesting against Bill Gates or their ilk about how much to invest in their company. it's his/their money to invest however wisely or otherwise. I can't see whereby in the company's "manifesto" they have to put x amount of generated monies back into their business.

they have invested fairly well from their standpoint and the fact that current managers have chosen to spend it in areas whereby we had adequate cover but not in others that we are/were short seems to me that they can say "see we left the manager alone, we're not interfering at all, we left the football bloke do the football stuff."

when the gave out their 7 or 10 point plan or whatever, they never said "we guarantee."

now as people know who have seen me post, from before they rocked up here I was against them, having had a BlueNose for room mate who told me what to expect. I had running battles on here. but that's another story

I think that as much as I hope HU succeed they are a bit over the map in what they are asking for. Shirley it's not up to them to ask for x amount of money to be invested in the team or in fact that we be competitive.

but that's just me

S-H

Post by S-H » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:53 pm

DrVenk wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm
GSB OUT
Great post, mate.

Hope you're well.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.

Samba

Post by Samba » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:54 pm

goa127 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:30 pm
I think your last question is easily answered LOS. What's changed is expectation. GSB promised a brave new world and it's not materialised.
But goa, they didn't just do that. They told us that in order to get that brave new world, we HAD to leave Upton Park. That Upton Park & over 100 years of history had to be blown to smithereens. That the OS would be a wonderful new home.
When they said they were West Ham fans, I believed them. When they spoke of Champions League football, I took it with a pinch of salt.
They were the ones who said that we'd have a world class stadium for a world class team. We didn't imagine that.
They were the ones who said that the front seats would be at a comparable distance to the ones at Upton Park. They are far from that.
Of course IF we were in Liverpool's place now, we wouldn't be talking about protests but it wouldn't suddenly mean that the OS was any good. Many people would still be too far from the pitch to enjoy watching the game
And anyone that believes that one day we will be in Liverpool's place, it isn't ever going to happen. Not under these owners.
So what if dropping like a stone to 17th place has sparked this unrest? What it does is remind people of all the lies that we were fed. Appointing Pelboy & buying a load of players for season 18/19, shut us all up. It turns out, it was a sticking plaster, at best.
We are now further away from any success, than we were at Upton Park. What has the move achieved? More people can now go, that is all. And that hasn't in itself, achieved anything.
Glenn Hoddle on Saturday remarked how intimidating Upton Park was to go to for opposing teams. We can't & don't intimidate anyone at the new place. People could put up with poor performances, losing & relegation at Upton Park. They might not stomach it now.

antonyirons

Post by antonyirons » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Phil S wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:42 am
Hi Karren
The usual reasoned response.........

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:01 pm

DrVenk wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm

:thup:

GSB OUT

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:11 pm

Let's not worry about being fickle. Being loyal as a fan base has led to our downfall.

The fans need to make it clear to that pair of putrid old bastards that their game is up. Sell up, take your ill gotten gain and don't darken our doors again.

They've turned West Ham into a club with no values and whilst they remain it deserves a fan base to match.

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Kialos wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:11 pm
Let's not worry about being fickle. Being loyal as a fan base has led to our downfall.

The fans need to make it clear to that pair of putrid old bastards that their game is up. Sell up, take your ill gotten gain and don't darken our doors again.

They've turned West Ham into a club with no values and whilst they remain it deserves a fan base to match.
I can always rely on you in a few words to sum it up so well :thup:
Being loyal as a fan base has led to our downfall
great words

Samba

Post by Samba » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Phil S wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 pm
I can always rely on you in a few words to sum it up so well :thup:
Being loyal as a fan base has led to our downfall
great words
:thup:
Brilliant from Kialos.
'That pair of putrid old bastards' is easily going to be my favourite quote of this week.

chalks
Sliding down his pole

Post by chalks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:22 pm

antonyirons wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:01 pm
The usual reasoned response.........
What do you expect when you talk out of your arse?

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Samba, the brave new world was all part of the stadium move. Obviously none of this has worked out as promised. Gritting my teeth I have to say at the time the move was originally planned it was a platform to increased revenue. The TV deals since have made stadium income a sideshow. Fwiw I suspect any other owners would probably gone for the move, just might have been more honest. Sulli doesn't think he's chosen poorly with managers, he reckons it's all their fault

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:27 pm

chalks wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:22 pm
What do you expect when you talk out of your arse?
like :thup: :lol: 8-)