David Martin

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

S-H

Re: David Martin

Post by S-H » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Our West ham supporting, third choice goal keeper kept a clean sheet on his Premier League debut, away to Chelsea, at the the age of 33.. and people (Puff & Cuenca) are choosing to pick the bones out of his performance.

Chances are, he will makes mistakes, and he will concede goals, but seriously who gives a ****, he's one of our own and he done himself, his family, the club he loves, and it's fans proud, he deserves to dine on that for the foreseeable.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:40 pm

S-H wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:34 pm
Our West ham supporting, third choice goal keeper kept a clean sheet on his Premier League debut, away to Chelsea, at the the age of 33.. and people (Puff & Cuenca) are choosing to pick the bones out of his performance.

Chances are, he will makes mistakes, and he will concede goals, but seriously who gives a ****, he's one of our own and he done himself, his family, the club he loves, and it's fans proud, he deserves to dine on that for the foreseeable.
Couldn’t have put it better myself, football has become sterile and unemotional, those scenes yesterday warmed the heart and as a West Ham supporter were the best things I’ve seen in a long time.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:41 pm

S-H wrote:

Chances are, he will makes mistakes, and he will concede goals, but seriously who gives a ****, he's one of our own and he done himself, his family, the club he loves, and it's fans proud.
All I am saying is, on another day he wont. Dont forget he practices and trains 5 days a week and he should've taken that one cleanly. It was not the greatest of strikes either and you know who would agree with me ? Why, David Martin himself. He was a tad fortunate to get away with it

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Seriously who cares

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:26 pm
My point is, when a keeper takes those sort of strikes cleanly, with arms and legs securely wrapped round the ball as they should, it immediately sends out a signal to your defenders, I'm in control here and it also sends out a message to the other team, it is going to take something a little bit special to beat me. I'm not criticising him you're probably right, he was most likely suffering a bout of nerves and that moment showed it and you can be sure Chelsea knew it too. OK, they still didnt beat him but on another day, he won't get away with a moment like that. That's all ~ That is what I am saying
They’ve been playing behind Roberto for 2 months, he could have grabbed it at the 8th attempt, while playing the bagpipes and it would have still sent out a more positive signal

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Ozza wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:42 pm
Seriously who cares
When he fumbles another one on another day that leads to us conceding a goal that costs us a match, I will care, even if you dont

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:15 pm

The biggest game of his life..really suffering from nerves before the game, I'd cut him some slack on this occasion.

Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Just found Alvin's autobiography in the loft as well, great story for a debut

Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:02 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:15 pm
The biggest game of his life..really suffering from nerves before the game, I'd cut him some slack on this occasion.
And I'd like to think that now he's got that out of the way, we won't see too many more fumbles.

Mind you, if the news of Fabs imminent return, we shouldn't have much cause to worry as he'll be demoted to our number two with his West Ham reputation intact! :scarfer:

Softhammer

Post by Softhammer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:32 pm

Im trying to find the new Martin song "ooh he's in goaaal". Anyone got the vid?

Big George

Post by Big George » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:36 pm

I’ll just leave this here

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:07 pm

Ha, awesome! He even goes out in his West Ham gear too :D

smuts

Post by smuts » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:11 pm

chigwells finest wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:43 pm
was going to say that this is the best thread ive read on here for ages , then Puff assumes his ' role as the craig revell Horwood of the site :-)
:lol:

It wasn't the greatest bit of keeping ever seen, but it was hit hard and dipping and he was quick enough to recover and block the follow up. Roberto probably would have dived over the top of it.

Samba

Post by Samba » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:21 pm

chigwells finest wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:43 pm
was going to say that this is the best thread ive read on here for ages , then Puff assumes his ' role as the craig revell Horwood of the site :-)

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:29 pm

S-H wrote:

That moment at the end of the game, realising what it meant to him, what he had achieved, who he was, what his affiliation to the club was...wow, honestly, even though it was "just" a league win, the entire context and the emotional outpouring at the end will forever rank as one of my all-time great West Ham moments. A poignancy that's so rare within today's game.

old fart

Post by old fart » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:41 pm

I'll say it again, it made a change to see our goalkeeper getting a degree of concerted protection from our outfield players, to be fair he didn't have a huge amount to do

That's not saying it wasn't great for the lad and Alvin

Big George

Post by Big George » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:47 pm

steveyrockstar wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:07 pm
Ha, awesome! He even goes out in his West Ham gear too :D
It was after the Bilbao game. He was picking up a Thai Takeaway. He was genuinely lovely to chat to.

Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:51 pm

ictrucker wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm
8th april 1986 under the lights v southampton. Dev was magic, mac was chasing everything, could have been 5-0 but ended up 1-0. A net busting volley into the southbank by Alvin. A few beers, get home into bed, an hour later the wife goes into labour. 7 the next morning out pops a boy who i immediatley call Alvin. 33 years later sat together today watching the game. Today was special. Today Karren Brady was irrelevant. Today it was our club. Today was about family and the west ham family and David wasnt the only one with a tear in his eye at the end.
That's lovely mate :thup:

e17

Post by e17 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:57 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm
When he fumbles another one on another day that leads to us conceding a goal that costs us a match, I will care, even if you dont
Wouldn’t surprise me if you cheered

Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:57 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:41 pm
All I am saying is, on another day he wont. Dont forget he practices and trains 5 days a week and he should've taken that one cleanly. It was not the greatest of strikes either and you know who would agree with me ? Why, David Martin himself. He was a tad fortunate to get away with it
He was full of adrenaline playing his first game for WHU in the premier league in front of 40,000 supporters at Stamford Bridge, that was an excellent debut, he kept a clean sheet, we won, no one can take that away from him. :scarfer: