Southampton 0-1 West Ham Utd (14/12/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham United: Match thread (14/12)

Post by richneal »

Regardless of the result, the first half was the best we've performed this season by a country mile.

1. 4-4-2 looked much better

2. Haller much better with Antonio - I think every poster on this site was calling for this a couple of weeks ago? On today's evidence there's not a striker in the prem that wouldn't have looked better alongside Antonio.

Let me tell you something you already know: Antonio was the difference, an outstanding performance in which everyone this side of Neptune correctly names him as MOTM. We could perhaps criticise his first touch (nothing new there) but he was an absolute nightmare for the Soton back four and most of their midfield.

Always great to scrape a win and certainly rode our luck in the second half - all my prayers to the Footballing Gods of The Woodwork obviously helped. Shane Long looked excellent and was IMHO unlucky not to get one in the back of the net.

Points to ponder:
1. The opposition. We can only play what's in front of us but that was an awful Soton first half performance, nearly as bad as L'Arse first half
2. Failure to score a second in the first half could have come back to haunt us - something like 12 points we've dropped from winning positions so far this season?
3. Unforced errors in midfield 2nd half - Rice, Noble and Sanchez - could have cost us dearly against stronger opposition
OFT
Has liked: 3238 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

brothernero wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 pm That was our 17th EPL win over Southampton, more than against any other opponent. :thup:
Dear Santa.. ignore my letter, well The Southampton bit, keep them up for us please
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Spotted this, skimming through Saintsweb

I remember Antonio playing for us on the wing (in League 1?). At the time he was young and the general consensus was that he had pace but not enough skill or strength. What an improvement. Shame he couldn't have done it through our coaching system.

They also thought it was certainly a penalty.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Turns out i was wrong about not wanting fornals to play - thought he had a decent game and did well setting up the goal.

Antonio is by far our best player though. Outside shout for England at the euros?
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

I would take Antonio ahead of Kane to the Euros. Such a weapon of a player. Fornal does like to be in those right places in the box, still hard to find his position.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

Coops wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:54 pm Injured I think.
He was ill apparently.

How would Anderson fit in to 4-4-2, I don’t think he does.
Last edited by stu1 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Mikloskosglovebag wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:30 pm I would take Antonio ahead of Kane to the Euros. Such a weapon of a player. Fornal does like to be in those right places in the box, still hard to find his position.
Steady.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Paolopaul wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:26 pm Antonio is by far our best player though. Outside shout for England at the euros?
I hope not we all know what happens to our players at international level. Plus Southgate wouldn't want him, in fairness with Stirling, Sancho et Al we are stacked on the wings.

On the game, ****ing bull**** not to get that first half pen - this is what VAR is supposed to be for. Haller finished really well for his goal. Composed and full of effort first half, was good to see. Second half they were fighting a bit harder and we were sitting a bit more. Antonio really unlucky on the handball, to the letter of the law it was, but his hands were in a neutral, natural position and I don't know what else he could have done. Then we got lucky twice with one cannoned of the bar and one chalked off for a pretty tame free kick - given how tame the Antonio handball was I fell ok about it, not to mention the ****ing pen. Martin could be a worry for the next game :cry: or he learnt something from the Arse on Monday?

Antonio makes our team work, the pace, power and fight he injects makes life so much easier for everyone else - which is why Arnie made us look better, he did all that too. But Haller also showed what he can do with a bit of ****ing support, long may it continue.

Got to say though those last two subs... It's like Pellers wanted the pay off.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

My son was born today at 14.19 this afternoon and West Ham got an away win, life doesn’t get much better than that.
OFT
Has liked: 3238 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Moxy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:40 pm My son was born today at 14.19 this afternoon and West Ham got an away win, life doesn’t get much better than that.

That's fantastic. Many congratulations Moxy :scarfer:
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Moxy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:40 pm My son was born today at 14.19 this afternoon and West Ham got an away win, life doesn’t get much better than that.
Nice one Moxy.

Overchuffed for you mate.
Graza

Post by Graza »

stu1 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:34 pm He was ill apparently.

How would Anderson fit in to 4-4-2, I don’t think he does.
In any of the positions. He has recently looked better as the advanced midfielder, but he also has a range of passing that would make him dangerous in the middle. He also does more defensive work than he gets credit for because he can be inconstant with it, but in a team pulling together and putting more in together I think he'd shine more.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Congratulations!

Is he to be Michail or Antonio :D
Graza

Post by Graza »

I think what you are saying is that you need to knock up a bird every week and we'll be perfect win record champions?

I mean it's worth a try right? :scarfer:

Enjoy the win and baby.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Congratulations Moxy!

:thup:
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Graza wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:43 pm In any of the positions. He has recently looked better as the advanced midfielder, but he also has a range of passing that would make him dangerous in the middle. He also does more defensive work than he gets credit for because he can be inconstant with it, but in a team pulling together and putting more in together I think he'd shine more.
Looked great at 10, agreed. But that ain’t a 2 man midfield though. He’d have to play wide, but does he do the Snodgrass job? (Yes, I did just say that... :? )
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Congrats Moxy!
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Congratulations Moxy , life is good :scarfer:
hayzelden

Post by hayzelden »

Congratulations Moxy, thought Antonio was immense today, also a big shout to Fornals, Haller , oggy & Balbuena
Grovellini1972

Post by Grovellini1972 »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:15 pm Don't be a stranger. Safe journey to you and everyone travelling home.
Thanks!