Board vs Pellegrini [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Who do you hold chiefly responsible for WHUFC's current position in the EPL?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:34 pm

The board (Sullivan, Gold, Brady etc)
56%
The management team (Pellegrini, Cousillas, Husillos etc)
12%
Both, equally
31%
Neither
1%

Total votes: 433

Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: Board vs Pellegrini [POLL]

Post by Irrons »

Both. Pellegrini and his team have to take some share of the blame for the recruitment, the motivation, the team selection and the results; plus choosing not to fix the well-known problem we've had for years in midfield with the budget they were given. Whilst I am in no way a fan of the board you cannot lay this all at their door; Pellegrini and his team are being paid a princely sum and but for brief spells last season have not delivered
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 pm It's interesting that, so far, only one voter potentially feels this is down to the players.

Are they getting a free ride at the expense of the board and management?
If there was a Board/Management/Player option I'd have picked it.

The Board haven't instilled a culture and long term plan, so it takes each manager 3-4 windows to get a side that fits together, except then he's sacked and a totally different style of manager comes in and starts piecing together his squad, rinse repeat. There also seems a tendency to only pay for splashy signings, no 20M outlays for a solid unassuming midfield type, nope, but you want a striker... sure, just sell one of the ones we got 2 years ago.

The management deserves blame as well, they should have been more aggressive about getting CM help, and of course they whiffed on Roberto trying to save pennies. Pelle doesn't have a lot of options on how to line up, but he's also been stubborn about just trying to get the players to play better instead of changing to just accept that we don't have the talent in some areas.

The players... concentration lapses all over, frustrated players switching off for stretches, the captain taking shots at his teammates in the paper while playing terribly himself (I love Mark, but complaining about your teammates'' defending in the paper when you are spending every match looking like a traffic cone in midfield is just going to get you tuned out)

It's a situation that needs a fresh start. Sadly the Daves aren't selling any time soon, so it needs a strong management team to come in with a plan that gets the best out of what we have, and a clear plan for how to most effectively fill the gaps in the window. Problem of course is that the Board is choosing and all the front runners are bad options, the return of Moyes? Hughton? Howe, who is spending just as much money and somehow doing worse at Bournemouth? That we appear to not even be pursuing the likes of Marcelino, Bielsa, Rangnick (in a return to the touchline) etc. tells me we're looking at another short cycle
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

szola wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:34 pmBy Neither I thought you meant it was bad luck/refs/injuries to key players/transfers that didn't materialise for other reasons than boad or manager
Could be that too, szola. Anything but, I guess!
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

4 years on from our move from Upton Park and we are in a rinse and repeat cycle of investment, followed by penny pinching. I see no reason why the same wouldn't happen with a new manage so therefore the blame has to be with the board.

Couple of fun stats:

When we left UP we had just finished above Liverpool. We were heading to the next level

When compared to some of our close rivals Brighton and Bournemouth our starting line ups this week was the same as Brighton and £30m cheaper than Bournemouth. I know Haller was on the bench for us but our mega stadium that was meant to move us up sees us £30m behind 11,000 capacity Bournemouth.

Out of interest Lecester's lineup is just £70m more than West Ham
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Had to think hard about this one...

I ended up going for management team. Not because I'm a board fanboy, or think the board are doing a good job by any stretch, but because the squad we have and the money that's been spent should be sufficient to keep us well clear of a relegation scrap. Not next level ****, but certainly not relegation fodder.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 pm It's interesting that, so far, only one voter potentially feels this is down to the players.

If that is a more explicit option it would garner more votes I'm sure. They are also culpable for their performances and the results and bar a few exceptions share an equal portion of the blame for me
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

JustJoe85 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:45 pmWe were heading to the next level
What we've seen on the pitch this season and a quick glance at the table means we should all be confident we're heading to the next level, mate.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Yes, I didn't interpret 'neither' as meaning the players were responsible either. They certainly share the blame to some extent.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Loftyhammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:35 pm Both...short term, Pellers (sadly IMO) seemingly has no answers and nowhere to turn. We never know exactly what goes on behind closed doors, but ultimately he didn't strengthen where it's been obvious for a very long time - FB and CM. Maybe it was his choice, maybe his options based on board "input" were limited. Either way, that and his apparent lack of flexibility do for him in the here and now.

Long term though, I can't believe anyone would argue that this board have taken us for absolute mugs, and have no idea how to build a club & its identity - both from a playing & performance perspective; and a cultural identity that the fans can get behind
:thup:
Vladnar
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Vladnar »

Surely the problem is a combination of a lot of things, but the easiest to blame and move on is the manager....Hopefully the manager says who he wants/needs they bring them in he arranges for style, tactics and training to get the very best out of the team and the players go and do it....all have a responsibility to pull it together and if anyone of those fails its all gone to pot.

Changing the manager can have the biggest impact but rather than worrying about changing managers i think you should put someone in place long term and let them build the club from the bottom up again taking whatever comes along on the chin and you end up where you end up....other choice is to just get manager in on one year contract, when a few results go against you get another in and keep sacking till you are safe then go again and again....watford and chelski are keen on this.

Not me its not even about only being in the top division its about being a family in support of your club and your history and seeing everyone give 100% all the time and see you are working towards something in the long run.

Thats whatd suit me most and is that really Pele? if not then who? someone young and GO

V
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Irrons wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:51 pmIf that is a more explicit option it would garner more votes I'm sure.
Yes, quite possibly. But the option to vote for 'none of the above' is there. It's pretty all-encompassing, I agree.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

TOMoS absolutely nailed it back on p1. There really isn't anything to be added.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

The state of the club as a whole is down to the gruesome threesome.

However, I voted :-
The management team, who are responsible for the current malaise on the pitch.

Are they getting the best from what they have available.... I don't think they are.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I think the board are lucky to only have around 90 per cent voting that they are responsible
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Bearing in mind we have a different manager every couple of years yet have exactly and I mean exactly the same problem, then the answer has to be the owners and their Rottweiler, they are the only constant in this cycle of ****.

Oh and us I suppose and Mark Noble
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Mega Ron wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 pm I think the board are lucky to only have around 90 per cent voting that they are responsible
I can’t believe it to be honest
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Any interest or enjoyment I've had for WHUFC has gradually been sucked out of me since the current board took control. They are like Colin the Energy Vampire from 'What we do in the Shadows'
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

Mega Ron wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:38 pm I voted for the board. They appointed the management team.
It was The great Brian Clough who once said “If a club sack their manager then the chairman should go too as they the one who employed the manager in the first place”
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Manager gets undermined by the Board and the bad feelings trickle down to training and affects the Players ?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Says a lot about Pelboy that this is even a serious question