Away support in the Home end?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

mc_unit

Away support in the Home end?

Post by mc_unit » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Is this becoming a normality?

Within the last 10 months or so, in 4 separate games I have had supporters of the opposition cheer when they score.

I am not against football fans visiting the stadium, I have gone to plenty of other matches myself, though with a certain level of respect with the fans I am sitting with. Last night I had 4 French lads, cheering on Pepe and co every time he touched the ball.

Its probably been said so many times before, but the tourist vibe the stadium has is becoming increasingly more evident. Added to the easily accessible tickets for games like tonight, make it easy for tourists/opposition fans to sit amongst us home supporters.

It got even worse last night, when a family in front of me cheered when Arsenal scored there second goal. The stewards, oblivious to what was going on, took an age to actually listen to some of us fans about the situation. There was some hostile scenes and the family had to leave the stadium. The young fella walking beside the Seg line was goading our fans and cheering with the Arsenal fans. A similar situation happened against Tottenham and Liverpool last year.

I don't know why, but I felt completely out of touch with the whole environment last night. I really feel as a club West Ham should be addressing this more seriously.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: Away support in the Home end?

Post by Up the Junction » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Welcome to KUMB, mc_unit. It's clearly a major issue.

AlfieG

Post by AlfieG » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:09 pm

A sign of things to come I suspect..

This is Bradys vision for her 'most successful stadium move in the history of football'...

I suspect she thinks we should all just sit where she wants us to sit, cheer politely and all get along without any animosity to our fellow fans..... Just like the rugger chaps do.

However, I disagree. The atmosphere is better with a frisson of edge and banter in the air...... Just dont make it easy for the neanderthals to hit each other.... :lol:

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:13 pm

The BM was full of day-trippers in half-and-half scarves, I purposely counted 27 on my walk back to the station.

At 1-3 I had a Chinese family stand in front of me posing for pictures with the pitch behind them. There's a video circulating on twitter of Arsenal fans jumping for joy behind the goal when they scored.

Good innit.

Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:14 pm

mc_unit

Post by mc_unit » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

Great spot and indeed the family sitting three rows in front of me. . . . .

Whitters

Post by Whitters » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:30 pm

I remember jumping up and celebrating in the Clock End when Don Hutchison scored, along with many other West Ham fans, when i couldn't get a ticket in the away end.

It's not a new thing

mc_unit

Post by mc_unit » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Fair enough, I know its not a new thing, just feels a regular occurrence now at the stadium. Feels like its just accepted. I just feel with the current atmosphere, ongoing issues, defo doesn't help.

Marky

Post by Marky » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:52 pm

mc_unit wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:33 pm
Fair enough, I know its not a new thing, just feels a regular occurrence now at the stadium. Feels like its just accepted. I just feel with the current atmosphere, ongoing issues, defo doesn't help.
Happening more than ever. The amount of touts selling tickets yesterday was unreal

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Hammers United wrote to West ham on this matter and basically were fobbed off.
We then wrote again as below,still with no positive response.
We spoke to a steward yesterday and he told us that in his section stewards were told to turn a blind eye.Unfortunately it seems only a matter of time until a major incident.Liverpool match??

Letter EMailed to West Ham today re away fans in West Ham parts of the ground.

Jake Heath,

Supporters Services Manager,

West Ham United FC.,

London Stadium.

London E20 2ST.

October 4th 2019.

Dear Jake,

Away Fans in West Ham sections of the ground.

We thank you for your Email dated September 26th and note your comments ‘The Club are wholly satisfied with their safety & securityprocess and will take appropriate action should any visiting supporter be found in the home sections of the Stadium.’Unfortunately Jake we had numerous reports from our members of Manchester United supporters in home sections at the match on September 22nd..Itis clear to all-except perhaps the club,that their safety and security process is inadequate.

We would once again Jake suggest the following:-

A review to be undertaken of the current processes to conclude if they remain fit for purpose given their current failings.

An additional training session addressing the levels of understanding of the existing processes with those persons and the entities they represent prior to the next home game, with all parties signing an undertaking that they have understood them.

Collateral is distributed to visiting clubs’ supporters groups advising of the processes in place, the personal risksto welfare and the potential for being ejected for attempting to sit in the home ends

We also remind you again of the legal obligation of both the Club and its agents regarding the safety of both West Ham and any offending away supporters’ safety, which we urge is given the appropriate level of consideration and attention to provide somesubstance to your assurances.

Jake,our members have genuine concerns and we need the club to take these concerns seriously.Hammers United would be willing tomeet and assist you in every way possible to alleviate these concerns.

Best Regards.

Lee Rogers.

Joint Secretary,Hammers United.

Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Just make the away end bigger for the bigger clubs. Give them 4/5,000 its not like we are selling out every week anyway.

wormley

Post by wormley » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:06 pm

It's all part of Karen's vision for the future of football when she becomes minister for sport, friendly popcorn throwing fights between rival supporters at half time as 'bubbles' plays over the PA in the background and the bubble machines go into overdrive. Such fun.

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:11 pm

The whole place should have been sectioned up properly when she was overseeing the move and before they started selling tickets.

Her seating planning consisted of nothing more than 'the away fans go there'. No real home end, no family section etc. Little pockets of vocal fans doesn't make an atmosphere.

Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:11 pm

I agree with the poster, it shouldn't happen and should be pretty easy to enforce with zero tolerance.

Saying that, it's not unheard of for some on here to talk about how to get tickets in the home end for sold out away games. Double standards?

chigwells finest
Location: desperately seeking redemption from this west ham misery

Post by chigwells finest » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:15 pm

how else they gonna fill the poxy thing , might as well hand out freebies in westfield tbh. the way its going i'd reduce the capacity to 26 k , getting ready for next season

chigwells finest
Location: desperately seeking redemption from this west ham misery

Post by chigwells finest » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:16 pm

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:11 pm
The whole place should have been sectioned up properly when she was overseeing the move and before they started selling tickets.

Her seating planning consisted of nothing more than 'the away fans go there'. No real home end, no family section etc. Little pockets of vocal fans doesn't make an atmosphere.
the family section is so far away its in a different borough

daytimedave

Post by daytimedave » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm

yeah the cheeky so n so's dont exactly sit on thier hands tight lipped either , its an utter piss take and needs addressing ,
it clearly states when buying tickets on-line 'Tickets are ONLY available to West Ham United Supporters' ,

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:57 pm

its a neutral venue no one cares our west ham has long gone. until it kicks off it wont change. the way the stadium is emptying for games I doubt it will come to that. was last night an official sell out ? plenty of those white seats available I noted from my sofa !

mushy

Post by mushy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Whitters wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:30 pm
I remember jumping up and celebrating in the Clock End when Don Hutchison scored, along with many other West Ham fans, when i couldn't get a ticket in the away end.

It's not a new thing
Pretty sure The Clock End was the away end Whitters, but I take your point.
West Ham supporters took great pleasure back in the day of standing in opposition areas (take a look at Alan Taylors first goal in the 1975 quarter final). That was in the bad old days of hooliganism and things have changed somewhat.
To be honest I have spent half a lifetime sitting or standing in parts of away games I shouldnt have been in, also celebrating while scoring (and am not a hooligan).
Feel a bit of a hypocrite moaning about people taking advantage of our situation to be honest. Its the board that are responsible and they will do nothing.

Big George

Post by Big George » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:21 pm

A bloke walked in with his son into the Billy Bonds stand wearing an Arsenal jacket bold as brass.