OH a change should be in the offing for sure

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Vladnar

OH a change should be in the offing for sure

Post by Vladnar » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Too many teams in the top flight, we should have gone to 5 professional leagues at least years ago...games are far too ten a penny and should be more restricted to give them added importance..with all non-league changed to north and south.

Scrap the League Cup completely and ensure all FA CUP matches take place at the weekend and all teams involved have a week off before it...i personally would make any fa cup weekend just for the fa cup and scrap all league games, would bring some real magic back to the worlds oldest cup competition with the eyes of everyone on it....and ofc it should be extra time and pens, not replays really always were naff.

Scrap the Uefa Cup expand the Champions League and have it run over the 3 days during the week.

No english team should get less than 3 days between matches 4 if possible and feasable.

Vladnar

Re: OH a change should be in the offing for sure

Post by Vladnar » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:32 pm

AND....the champion team from every league should get straight into the group stages of the champions league SURELY...is yet another reason why the whole thing makes no sense that they dont'

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:50 pm

It's called the Champions League because the team who wins it would be crowned the "Champions Of Europe"

Why do so many people still not get this?

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:18 pm

brothernero wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:50 pm
It's called the Champions League because the team who wins it would be crowned the "Champions Of Europe"

You are seriously missing the point. A 'Champions League' should be about Champions fighting it out, not also rans.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:21 pm

No I'm not missing the point at all.

Take it up with Uefa who had stated the reasons many times why it is called the Champions League and why there is non champions who take part.

It's also called that for Global branding.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:32 pm

brothernero wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:21 pm
No I'm not missing the point at all.

Take it up with Uefa who had stated the reasons many times why it is called the Champions League and why there is non champions who take part.

It's also called that for Global branding.
er… you are missing the point.

e-20

Post by e-20 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:57 pm

I guess if you name it the Champions League it's hardly surprising that people just might think it's a League full of Champions fighting it out to be the Champion of Europe. Mind you as its a Cup competition I guess any fundamental logic was lost a long time ago.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:10 pm

Just prevent ALL teams that are competing in Europe from entering the League Cup. Simples.

James P

Post by James P » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 pm

Do people really think the Champions League would be better as a spectacle if it just had the champions from the five or six big leagues smashing their way through the champions of Austria and Poland and Sweden before meeting in the semis to play three or four competitive games?

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:20 pm

They only named it The Champions League due to it replacing the European Cup which was only contested by the Champions of the differing leagues.

All done to avoid a break away European League being formed iirc, Uefa's marketing dept simply spun the name when they added the extra places to non Champions from big leagues and the group stages.

Like you say Brothernero global marketing or...pr b*llocks :lol:

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:22 pm

James P wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 pm
Do people really think the Champions League would be better as a spectacle if it just had the champions from the five or six big leagues smashing their way through the champions of Austria and Poland and Sweden before meeting in the semis to play three or four competitive games?
:thup:

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:40 pm

James P wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 pm

I am not a big watcher of the CHampions League but it does amaze me that people think a tournament with just the champions of each european country in it would be better. It might be more traditional, but it wouldn't be better. Approximately 40 teams, of which 30 odd are pretty rubbish

people look back at the old European Cup through rose tinted spectacles because football then was not so over-exposed so any game people saw was an event. There was some good years and bad years, and lots of rubbish matches

THe purpose of the CHampions LEague [rightly or wrongly] is to identify a 'European Champion' for that given season. To do that it does need to have the majority of the best teams in Europe in it, which it does

I think the balance should change a bit, and more Champions of smaller leagues should get direct entry into the league phase, but then people would just moan the league bit is pointless

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:59 am

brothernero wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:50 pm

Then why isn't every league called the champions league ?????
You win the Uefa cup after going through a group league process, to then find an eventual Champion. How is that any different to the Champions League ???

What a load of old cobblers you've fallen for there !!

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:40 pm
I am not a big watcher of the CHampions League but it does amaze me that people think a tournament with just the champions of each european country in it would be better. It might be more traditional, but it wouldn't be better. Approximately 40 teams, of which 30 odd are pretty rubbish
Then have a quick tournament with 16 teams from those countries that have a decent standard of football that lasts a maximum of 4 games for the finalists. Instead of having to hear the perpetual whinging and whining of player burn out and fixture log pile-ups, whilst still passing GO and pocketing £40 million plus.
I wouldn't notice the difference as I never watch any of it apart from the Final (sometimes).
Sack off the league cup and give the FA Cup equal status as the League with a cup winners cup knockout competition of again just 16 teams.

Whitters

Post by Whitters » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:48 am

I think it's time they brought this back too:

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:19 am

"would be better as a spectacle if it just had the champions from the five or six big leagues smashing their way.. "

Thats would in fact KILL the game and tournament itselfs...

As I can remember many title winners won it not being famvorites rather underdogs from the begining, some even have luckly classified through pens or gold goal, develop and getting strenght themselfs IN the stages group and becomimng winners at the end... The David´s win (vs Golliath).. and examples are many... even outside the UEFA..

Whitters wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:48 am
I think it's time they brought this back too:

Thats funny mate, thanks!