Greatest games - football ramble

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Paolopaul

Greatest games - football ramble

Post by Paolopaul » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:09 pm

One of the football ramble podcasts this season looks at greatest games, where a guest discusses a game they went to with particular significance. Recently they had the cup final that shall not be mentioned on there - I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to it yet!

Anyway, it got me thinking what game I would go with if I was on the podcast, and wondered what everyone else would go with?

For me it's between

England 2 Scotland 0 euro 96 - being at that game got me addicted to football.

West Ham 5 Bradford 4 - not just for the great game, but the game id been to before that my uncle told me I'd moaned all game, so I went to this one making sure I was positive - so to see West Ham come back from 4-2 down to win felt like it was meant to be!

I'm sure others will have far better reasons, be interested to hear them..

Mods Feel free to delete if it's too close to a thread already in existence!

fmgod

Re: Greatest games - football ramble

Post by fmgod » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Gillingham vs Man City playoff 1999, I remember watching this on holiday, what a game! Not just a game but a game with so much at stake

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:18 pm

If being significant and involving WHUFC (I don't really attend any others) are the key criteria, it'd probably have to be one of the three play-off finals.

Probably the last vs Blackpool, due to the dramatic finish.

Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:25 pm

10th May 2016.

The significance, in my mind, being we couldn't leave the old girl losing to those c***s. The rollercoaster of emotions that night culminating in Winston's header for the winner and the final whistle. Something blew into mine and Eggs Jnr.1's eyes that night; made it quite difficult to watch the last minutes of the game. Lost my voice as well.

I'm sure there's been others over the years, but as I've the memory of a washed up pebble these days, I'd have to dig deep.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:47 pm

As depressing as it would be to relive, the Mannygate saga would make good listening if told well.

r99c

Post by r99c » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:05 pm

That playoff game between Watford and Leicester?

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:18 pm
If being significant and involving WHUFC (I don't really attend any others) are the key criteria, it'd probably have to be one of the three play-off finals.

However many times I watch it, I still hold my breath when Carlton toe pokes it through the melee in case Webb blows for a foul...

The Collector

Post by The Collector » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:23 pm

The greatest game of football, involving WHUFC, which I attended was the home game against Southampton in Sept ‘81.

Brooking played one of the best games I saw from him and Geoff Pike scored a fantastic goal where the ball swept from one end to the other in a 4-2 win under the lights.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:17 pm

Two best games I've ever seen;

Barcelona 3-2 Valencia - 2001

Rivaldo scored that hat trick culminating with the final minute overhead kick to secure Champions league football for them. The game was on a knife edge the entire time and the quality of his hat trick was just ridiculous. Valencia were an excellent team back then as well and won La Liga the following season. La Liga was actually fun back then.

AC Milan 3-3 Liverpool - 2005

Crazy game. The quality was all there as well. Features my favourite ever goal which was Kaka through ball and Crespo toe poke chip. Football poetry. That Milan team is probably my favourite ever club side man for man but Liverpool victory is inspiring. Almost to a man they were the weaker side on paper but it reminds you that spirit and desire are the truly decisive intangibles when it matters most.

Best West Ham game was Everton cup game at the Boleyn with the Adrian penalty. Top quality night, although we were second best for the majority of the game I thought. Match was so end to end though and just a chaotic, frenetic joy.

Caniggia90

Post by Caniggia90 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:05 am

My first ever game I went to see was 85-86. With my dad and my most amazing brother (r.i.p.) we won 2-1 against Tottenham. Cottee and mcavennie both scored. The meaning of life!

Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:12 am

Up the Junction wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Bloody loved that game. I was up in the clouds in Club Wembley seats (they weren’t that day) but remember it so well! Can’t say I remember the journey home and 2 days after so well, mind!

pbenjy

Post by pbenjy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:32 am

I always go back to this game when this type of thread comes up. The scenes when Cottee slammed in the 5th will live with me for ever. Happy Christmas.

psychoscoredthelot

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:10 am

Chelsea 0 West Ham 4
West Ham 8 Newcastle 1
West Ham 5 Bradford 4

But the game for me would be the last one at the old girl. It had everything. And we drank the ground dry

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 am

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:05 am

England v Cameroon.

Quarter finals of Italia 90

A time when I still enjoyed watching football and didn't think all the England players were c****.

England largely outplayed but victory sealed with two absolutely ice cold Lineker pens.

He may be an old media whore nowadays but remember being hugely impressed (I was 15) at how he absorbed the pressure to take both pens and give the keeper no chance with either.

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:17 am

Double post

devonshire flu

Post by devonshire flu » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:01 am

pbenjy wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:32 am
I always go back to this game when this type of thread comes up. The scenes when Cottee slammed in the 5th will live with me for ever. Happy Christmas.
Yes. For me it's this match. Anything that could happen did happen. Unbelievable atmosphere.