David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: David Moyes

Post by jacko »

This fallacy of him sorting out the defence. We conceded 45 goals under him in 27 games. Did he sort out the defence at Sunderland?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Would we be entitled to a refund?
SoCal Hammer
Total likes: 1 like

Re: David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

Post by SoCal Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:06 am
This is the man who played Kouyate as a number 10 to help give knockdowns to Arnoutovuc
To be fair, he is also the man who turned Arnautovic from an ineffective winger into one of the best forwards in the league. I'm not a fan of our board in any shape or form but given the choice between Moyes and Pellegrini I know who I would prefer in the dugout on New Years Day.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

One thing I did like about Moyes when he was last here, is that he seemed to like the club, fans and was respectful. He seemed privileged to manage us and that was a positive thing.

Is he the right choice now? I would say no but he is the only candidate that sticks out for our crap owners and that means he will get the job. Just hope he instills some passion in the team and will try to play the football the fans want to see. He will be on a longer contract and will know risk free football will not do for the fans.
Last edited by MrHammer73 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacko

Post by jacko »

MrHammer73 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:28 am One thing I did like about Moyes when he was last here, is that he seemed to like the club, fans and was respectful. He seemed privileged to manage us and that was a positive thing.

It's because he was so grateful for the job. No one else would have appointed him as his stock was so low.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

jacko wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:22 am Still spot a player? What are you basing that on exactly? Hugill?

Who did we put to the sword?
Perhaps John Stones, Seamus Coleman, Tim Cahill, Steven Pienaar, Marouanne Fellaini, etc etc...
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

jacko wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:29 am It's because he was so grateful for the job. No one else would have appointed him as his stock was so low.
Having to put so much objectivity in today - how do we know he hadn't been approached by other clubs? How do we know he has been approached by other clubs and he decided not to take the job?

We speak like we know these things, but we don't. he may have been approached for all we know, he may not have been - but to state it as fact that he hasn't simply because he's not been in a role is rather misleading at best.
jacko

Post by jacko »

-DL- wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:33 am Having to put so much objectivity in today - how do we know he hadn't been approached by other clubs? How do we know he has been approached by other clubs and he decided not to take the job?

We speak like we know these things, but we don't. he may have been approached for all we know, he may not have been - but to state it as fact that he hasn't simply because he's not been in a role is rather misleading at best.
Well you are either managing a club or you aren't. And in between us sacking him he was unemployed. He failed at Sunderland and there may have been mitigating factors but he didn't work again until we came knocking. I'm sure if he had had a better offer than us in that time then he would have taken it.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:30 am Perhaps John Stones, Seamus Coleman, Tim Cahill, Steven Pienaar, Marouanne Fellaini, etc etc...
You do go back a bit.

What’s Patrice doing these days?
Cottee
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by Cottee »

A 25% win ratio since leaving Man Utd.

I have no idea why the bloke still gets lauded as a great manager, based on what he did at Everton many moons ago.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 922 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Would be an idiotic appointment on so many levels.

No style, no cachet to attract signings, no vision for the future, questionable 'eye' for a player....just a massive step back.

He shipped 3 or 4 goals a game in his last stint here including to the likes of Burnley, Swansea and Brighton, whoever suggested he will sort the defence out is kidding himself.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

aaronhammer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:43 am Pellegrini last 27 league games at West Ham
W 9
D 5
L 13
GF 36
GA 44
GD -8
Pts 32

Moyes 27 league games in 2017/18 at West Ham
W 8
D 9
L 10
GF 37
GA 45
GD -8
Pts 33

#NextLevel
While I agree with the sentiment, let's not overlook context. Moyes took over an unfit team in complete freefall, on a short-term contract. As much as I believe Pellers was shafted in the summer window, he still had a squad largely shaped in his image, and had made a few big buys the summer previous.

I always felt Moyes did an ok job last time he was there and deserved a longer term contract to see what he could do given time. I also felt a lot of the animosity towards him was built on preconceptions rather than our performances under him.

All that said, to crawl back to Moyes after we shunned him for a "glamour" appointment is, as someone else wrote above, rather farcical.

It'll likely end in tears with him, but then I think it will end in tears with anyone we appoint. Rafa is probably the safest bet.
Last edited by steveyrockstar on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

True - perhaps he has been saving himself for the West Ham opportunity once again
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1317 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Telegraph say Moyes will be offered an 18 month deal today.

Short term again.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I was very undecided about giving Moyes a longer contract or appointing Pellegrini last summer but in the end was sold by Pellegrini’s credentials and the possibility of attacking football.

In the end I got it wrong, the club got it wrong. Moyes was doing a good job, boring at times, but did what was asked of him. I think we as fans need to remember who the owners are, they’ve lied about next level, they will never be able to take us there (Either through choice or bank balance), Moyes will keep us up, year after year, maybe we might build something like Everton did under Moyes longer term.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:38 am Telegraph say Moyes will be offered an 18 month deal today.

Short term again.
Not short term, that’s standard term for most premier league managers these days
jacko

Post by jacko »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:30 am Perhaps John Stones, Seamus Coleman, Tim Cahill, Steven Pienaar, Marouanne Fellaini, etc etc...
You really are digging into the football annals for those signings mate. I pitcture you in a loft, blowing dust off the sports almanac from almost 20 years ago.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

:(
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

-DL- wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:33 am Having to put so much objectivity in today - how do we know he hadn't been approached by other clubs? How do we know he has been approached by other clubs and he decided not to take the job?

Objectively what do you think is the more likely scenario - numerous clubs approached him and as an out of work manager with a damaged reputation he turned them down, whilst then subsequently taking on our absolute shitstorm scenario on a short term deal reeking of someone absolutely desperate for any work, or no clubs approached him until we did as his stock was so low?

Personally, the absolute negative dinosaur **** can f*** off. Can't wait to spend my time and money watching us grind out points here and there and do enough for GS&B to get the 17th place they desire whilst unforgiveably throwing away cup games. :scarfer:
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I’m with DL :thup:

I think some overestimate how attractive we would be as a club to manage currently with our recent form and the owners. Moyes is one of the few who could leverage what he’s done before to get some level of control that Sullivan would not give up to an unproven manager.

Whilst the football under Moyes was poor last time there were a few games where we were good to watch - and the context at the time was utterly terrible football under Slav too.

If he comes in and keeps us up and signs some decent competitive players to be safely mid table next season we’ll hopefully then see the owners sell up and we can actually progress as a club.