David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Re: David Moyes

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Tenbury wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:32 pm
C'mon mate, if you're implying that people are against him because he isn't the next level,/ particularly charismatic/ foreign and or looks a bit weird, that's a bit disingenuous, fact is we've seen what he can do, he's been the manager at this club, and some of us think it sucked.
I don't recall critisicm being this bad at the end of his season. I know there were plenty that still didn't want him but it seemed about 50/50 whereas now it seems as though the majority don't want him at all.

I'll personally be supporting him and giving him time to do his stuff - and that goes beyond the remainder of this season. If he fails then he'll be judged accordingly.

Awooga_Iron

Post by Awooga_Iron » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Mikloskosglovebag wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:59 pm
Cometh the hour , cometh the man. He showed real bottle in the last relegation scrap. Its gonna be a much tougher battle this time around. I for one am glad he will be leading the charge to safety.
Well said. I agree.

Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Still waiting to be shown this ‘real bottle’ he showed.

Mikloskosglovebag

Post by Mikloskosglovebag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:56 pm

What job has he missed out on that would have been a good fit for him? Keep reading everyone has avoided him, but who exactly? Most of the teams that have changed managers are ones that go for progressive types, not builders like Moyes.

arlhe

Post by arlhe » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:57 pm

I'll be giving any new manager my wholehearted support for the rest of the season at least. Absolutely no point in getting on his case early doors.

I reserve the right to change that opinion if we appoint Pullis...

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Brown Sauce wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm
He took the job of West Ham manager and worked under Sullivan, Gold, and Brady. That shows real bottle, especially for a manager trying to rebuild his reputation. I wouldn't have touched the job with a bargepole. I still wouldn't.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Brown Sauce wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:16 pm
David Moyes myth #5

He got the team running.

We were bottom of the distance covered stats when he took over, and still bottom at the end of the season. A small improvement vs Bilic but his numbers were skewed by two red cards.
We're bottom of that league now as well.

Have you got a source for distance covered by Moyes' team. Better yet if it's based only on the stats from his games and none of Bilic's.

il_martello_di_genovesi

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:00 pm

Brown Sauce wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm
I'm still waiting on the more than 2/3 word analysis of why his wins weren't 'good' wins. For example, Southampton (Awful team). You can post that with a straight face the day after losing to Leicester Reserves? And a few weeks after home defeats to two of the worst Newcastle and Arsenal teams I've seen?

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:00 pm

I wasnt too enthusiastic when he was appointed last time, but he was given one objective - stay up. He did what was asked of him and I'll afford him the respect he deserves.

We now find ourselves in a similar predicament and he is potentially being called upon again to do a job.

Progress it is not, muggy considering what you dwarf **** said about taking the club in a different direction, but you have to be realistic and remember where we are in the league.

Which manager of any pedigree would want to take on a club hovering above relegation, whose fans are incredibly demanding and will be given f*** all money to build their squad?

We are not in a position to be picky and choosy.

However doesnt make me less underwhelmed.

Hammeroid

Post by Hammeroid » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:02 pm

So in our time of need we are about to reappoint a manager who criticised the board (post previous tenure) and who himself had his training methods criticised by the captain (post Pellegrini takeover). Only at this club!

Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Mikloskosglovebag wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:56 pm
What job has he missed out on that would have been a good fit for him? Keep reading everyone has avoided him, but who exactly? Most of the teams that have changed managers are ones that go for progressive types, not builders like Moyes.
If he was so great, plenty of teams would have pulled the trigger and got him. Top of my head the following teams changed managers while Pellegrini was in charge:
Leicester
Brighton
Watford
Southampton
Newcastle
Everton
Chelsea
Spurs
Arsenal
Manchester United
Fulham
Swansea
Cardiff

And funnily enough none of them fancied him.
Why is that?

Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:09 pm

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:00 pm
I'm still waiting on the more than 2/3 word analysis of why his wins weren't 'good' wins. For example, Southampton (Awful team). You can post that with a straight face the day after losing to Leicester Reserves? And a few weeks after home defeats to two of the worst Newcastle and Arsenal teams I've seen?
I said the wins he got were against largely poor teams or teams with nothing to play for. Of his 8 wins, 3 were against teams who were relegated and two were teams with nothing to play for.

Now show me the ‘bottle’ he showed?
Unless bottle means achieving the second worst managerial performance in recent history?

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Moyes won 3 drew 3 lost 5 of the last 11

The 5 defeats were

1-4 x 4
0-3 x 1

Amazing we stayed up, but we did beat the clubs below us Moyes managed 5 wins against those teams

Next level no, will he save us probably as we are better than the 3 below us

Long term deal I say no, so he'll not take it and count his Man Utd pay off and the bonus he got from us last time

Never go back, either as employer or employee

Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:10 pm

This is all just noise. Don’t get sucked in like modern day football lemmings. Look at the big picture we are going ****ing nowhere with these thieves in charge and in an athletic meccano ground that isn’t even ****ing ours. Wake up and see what’s happening!!

Mikloskosglovebag

Post by Mikloskosglovebag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Of all that list, maybe only Newcastle that would have him on the list. The others all appoint a different type of manager, and I doubt he would entertain Cardiff.

Iron Mark

Post by Iron Mark » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:12 pm

Normally people make excuses for why we lose a game.

Is Moyes the only manager we have had where people make excuses for why we win? Even when he wins, he apparently loses...

There may be some over the top defending of Moyes, but there are also plenty who are desperately trying to twist any positives from his tenure into negatives.

Hampshire Hammer

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:13 pm

Truth be told there is not a huge points difference between tenth and eighteenth, but we were looking like a team in freefall and unlikely to move up. A top ten finish is still achievable with very little in the way pf improvement, just getting the team organised defensively, which you would think Moyes is capable of. However I am never a fan of going back as it never seems to end well and his previous spell was adequate rather than impressive both in results and style of play.

Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:13 pm

By different type you mean ones that win games?

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:18 pm

Brown Sauce wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:13 pm
By different type you mean ones that win games?
Well apparently winning games isn't good enough for you :)

Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:19 pm

Iron Mark wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:12 pm
Normally people make excuses for why we lose a game.

Is Moyes the only manager we have had where people make excuses for why we win? Even when he wins, he apparently loses...

There may be some over the top defending of Moyes, but there are also plenty who are desperately trying to twist any positives from his tenure into negatives.
:thup: