David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jarvo

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Jarvo »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:18 am This is the worst appointment in our recent history.
How recent are you looking? As it would take a lot to win this accolade from Avram Grant...
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

steps wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:54 am I suppose we’ll never know if this was actually down to Pellers though, it could of been Husillos (who we were warned about by the Malaga fans), or G&S.
Until proved otherwise I will consider that Pellegrini was in charge of the squad and of letting Husillios know what he needed to add to the squad. This is the same Husilios who was widely heralded on here for his work finding players like Diop and Balbuena the previous season.

What was successful last season has failed this: Pellegrini asks for two new strikers and is provided with Haller and Ajeti, he asks for a reserve GK and is given a nightmare. Fu*k knows what he asked for with Fornals, who may well turn out to be a tidy player but who was not what we needed.

The failing relationship between Pellegrini and Husiliis is why they are out of work and we are 4th bottom. Harder to argue IMO that both were not backed by the owners.
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

keithwright1977 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:15 am Maybe we should have waited for him to get the sack, I watched Bournemouth play 10 man Crystal Palace and couldn’t believe how poor they were, it was almost as if they had no idea, I know they went on to beat Chelsea but they have been on a slump, but word of warning, almost every team that have been out of form have come up against us and totally outplayed us. I hope it’s not the case this time
You’re looking at the short term picture though. No-one can deny he’s done a fantastic job at Bournemouth, and they’ve been crippled with injuries this season.

It’s like when the Arsenal fans turned their nose up at Klopp because he had that one bad season at Dortmund.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

The common denominator over the last 10, 20, maybe 30 years (apart from one or two seasons) seems to be that we are a total mess no matter who is the manager or who is running the club.
Any answers? Because I sure as f@@k don't understand it.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

So we’ve got him back, and now we need to back him.

For all the cons we can pick on for Moyes we do need to look at the pros whilst also remembering one thing, you cannot please everyone.
What some might seem as dour football others see as quite exciting, that’s why are all so different.

Ultimately, we need to get behind him and see what he can do. What’s the worst that could happen, you’re proved right? I’m wrong? Who cares. We all want the best for our football club so let’s just hope he can do a decent job.

For me the pros are
He’s British
He actually knows having already managed us
He knows the league very well
He did a very good job at Everton over a very long time.

It’s so easy to say he was crap at Man Utd, in Spain, with Sunderland etc. But he wasn’t for Everton and given the circumstances, he wasn’t for us either.

Good luck Danger Mouse, you’ve got my support and backing, now go and make us a good side and make sure we stay up.
Graza

Post by Graza »

ironilunga wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:15 am Have they not just gone down the champagne route by appointing the former Real Madrid manager and giving him 150mil to spend?

What would you have done?
I'd have given him 150m net to spend, rather than gut all the depth out of the squad. Time and again we needed another strong window. We got 18m and a much weaker squad.
Graza

Post by Graza »

fadedndead wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:22 am The way I see it is we have short medium and long term objectives, however, I wonder if the current board have any objectives?
We have those objectives. The board have one short term objective every summer, survive, keep about in trough, placate the plebs if we have to.
Graza

Post by Graza »

ironilunga wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 am But the summer before that we did 42mil on Anderson 24mil on Diop, 17mil on Yarmalenko, about 10mil on Fab and another 20mil on the likes of Perez, Balbuena and one or two others?

The club backed Pellegrini
Once. In one window. Then allowed 4 strikers to leave and didn't give him the resources to give us any depth there let alone anywhere else. We also didn't pay 42 or 24 for those players according to most transfer sources. They always like to include the add ons like they are money they are spending but they realistically won't ever have to fork over.
Graza

Post by Graza »

WestHamIFC wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 am Pretty sure our tactics won't involve putting out only 9 men on the pitch.
It did against Leicester, there was a sandbag with Sanchez written on it I suppose...
artlin

Post by artlin »

This should have happened 3 or 4 games ago.

It was clear that Pellegrini had failed to mobilise the squad this season.

Losing Fabianski was a big blow but he should have had a better reserve in place already.

The squad is good. Even the POOR Haller, Yarmalenko, Anderson are all still good players.

It is a case of getting them back to fitness and playing in the correct formation.

3 5 2, 4 3 3, 4 4 2?? Who cares. So long as each player knows he's job for the day. 11 vs 11, it never changes but we need to be SMARTER on the park. Know where to intercept, know where to pick a pass.

Rice is the man for that. Him, Balbeuno, Noble, Lanzini, Antonio are all smart thinking players.

I am sure that Moyes will utilise those attributes.

PS. We really should be making better use of players in the 2nd squad. Haksabanovic, Trott, Samuelson, Johnson. It beats me why we do not have more players coming through.
Last edited by artlin on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graza

Post by Graza »

denzel wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:11 am You're still off with the above mate. We needed a lot more than we spent to build a decent squad IMO.
The point is that we didn't build on Billic's first season, we went massively backwards as a club. Then tried to cheap out for 2 more years while the squad aged and crumbled. Then we spent a little bit (by no means enough) of the TV money we'd hoarded all those years with Pellers in one window, then shut up shop and went minimal again. Sustained, sensible, planned investment in the playing staff, building towards a long term vision is what's needed. You know the sort of thing a DoF is supposed to do.

If Moyes survives they'll probably increase the net from the usual 15-20 to maybe 25-35 probably whilst selling one of Rice or Diop and call it massive spending. And people will chime in with the 150/170 spent nonsense we get about Pellegrini's reign as if that was a) an actual large amount of money in this market b) net spend doesn't exist and c) ignores the years of underinvestment. The ground will still be ****, the facilities will still be ****, Sully running the transfers again will still be ****. I suppose we can cross out fingers and hope Moyes can get a bit more effort into the team on the pitch. But the next year it'll be back to bargain basement land again (if he even gets to spend anything in the first place).
denzel

Post by denzel »

Graza wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 pm The point is that we didn't build on Billic's first season, we went massively backwards as a club. Then tried to cheap out for 2 more years while the squad aged and crumbled.
That was what I was getting at Graza :thup:
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

He says in his video that he has experience.

Does he have experience of winning the league?

Does he have experience of qualifying for the Champions League?

Does he have experience of winning one of the domestic cups?

I will give you a clue, the answer is no.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Hindley Hammer wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:14 pm He says in his video that he has experience.

Which league winning or champions league qualifying managers do you think would have taken the job? And if you've forgotten already - we've just sacked someone with those credentials.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Hindley Hammer wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:14 pm He says in his video that he has experience.

Well it depends what your definition of experience is. He has finished in the top 4 (that wouldn't require a CL playoff now, like it did then). He hasn't won the league, but did manage the biggest club in the Country. He has managed 4 clubs in the Premier League with a large total of years chalked up.

The stuff you've listed doesn't really matter. Our last manager ticked all those boxes and it turned out to be a failure.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

miketheloop wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:49 am So we’ve got him back, and now we need to back him.

For all the cons we can pick on for Moyes we do need to look at the pros whilst also remembering one thing, you cannot please everyone.
What some might seem as dour football others see as quite exciting, that’s why are all so different.

Ultimately, we need to get behind him and see what he can do. What’s the worst that could happen, you’re proved right? I’m wrong? Who cares. We all want the best for our football club so let’s just hope he can do a decent job.

For me the pros are
He’s British
He actually knows having already managed us
He knows the league very well
He did a very good job at Everton over a very long time.

It’s so easy to say he was crap at Man Utd, in Spain, with Sunderland etc. But he wasn’t for Everton and given the circumstances, he wasn’t for us either.

Good luck Danger Mouse, you’ve got my support and backing, now go and make us a good side and make sure we stay up.
Agree with this ^^^^
I am personally reasonably happy with Moyes coming back. :crest:
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Pellegrini had all that, and that worked out well, didn't it? :fsake:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Has he got two games to save his job yet?
Barking Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

No excuse now a new CM in January then a starting 11 of
Fab
Diop. Ogbonna. Cresswell
Fredericks. Rice. New CM. Masuaku.
Antonio. Haller. Anderson.

You can’t tell me that team can’t push on in the new year to at least finish 10th
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

Sounds knowledgeable, reasonable and eminently sensible. A hardworking football manager who was once regarded as successor by the best British manager in living memory. That his career post Everton has been a disappointment I am sure he’d be the first to admit. He partly healed his reputation saving us from the drop after Bilic and I hope he fully restores it this time around.