David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Ironing Board »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:57 pm Was given 18 months. The same amount if time as both Howe and Benitez have on their contracts before they run out. Coincidence?

And even if Sully wanted to get rid of Moyes sooner, I.e, this summer it wouldn't cost them too much as he would only have a year left on his contract.

I see Alan Irvine is back, which is good as he is a well respected coach. And Moyes confirmed in his press conference that he has spoken to Pearce, but no guarantees as he has other jobs. Ex mentions he has asked for Billy McKinlay to return. But may be difficult as he is assistant manager at Stoke. So has a more secure job. Also hinted another ex player may join too. Be interesting to see who that could be. My inkling is it will be the man who's goal celebration shared my name.

Very interesting that every coach under Pellers left minus Xavi Valero the Goalkeeper coach. I was convinced Moyes would bring Chris Woods back. But maybe Valero is staying after all.

Unless I missed it, was Moyes asked about whether a Director of Football will be brought in? Seeing as Sully is so out of touch and asks his manager to bring one in, instead of hiring a neutral one himself like almost every other club does.
Could this be a hint?

"EX-WEST HAM star Joe Cole was spotted at the Hammers' warm-weather training camp in Miami. David Moyes and his squad jetted off to America …"
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:52 pm What about that Morelos guy at Rangers - he scores for fun even at Europa League level
He’s a walking red card mate..
denzel

Post by denzel »

thejackhammer wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:57 pm They'll both play, with Cresswell the left of the back three.
I think he resorted to that due to a lack of fit and competent centre backs last time.
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

If Moyes gets the players' confidence up and plays a system that suits them better, we'll start moving up the table pretty quickly. My worry is that we get a bounce for a month or so and slip back into old habits. If we do, we're f****d.

Unless if Moyes works a miracle and turns us into a really good team, I think he should be sacked at the end of the season. We must be able to find someone better for next season and G&S have ample time to get a deal done. Saying that, they'll do what they always do and sit on their hands until this time next season when we're in the same position and scrabble around for anyone who is mad enough to manage us.
Last edited by MilkyBarKid16 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

If you're looking for someone to impress, who is what may be referred to in modern parlance as "hungry", there's probably not a better choice.

Whether or not all these classes he's been taking and games he's been watching have given him the necessary tactical acumen however remains to be seen.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Could have been worse it could have been Harry Redknapp back here, let's get behind Dave and push on :crest:
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Another thing I thought about is, a lot of us, myself included are all assuming Moyes will play the 5 at the back formation like he did last time. But remember before he joined the club he never played that formation. And didn't when he joined our club last time. He waited 4-5 games in and was then finally implemented this formation. Probably and understandably through desperation as you have to change something if you keep losing.

So there's nothing to say if he had stayed and given the summer to make his own signings instead of Pellers he may not have made the signings needed so he could go back to a flat back 4 he has used all his career.

I always got the impression he was just using that formation to get us to the end of the season. He was heavily scouting McGinn, was watching Dendonker and like Pellers was always going to target a centre half too with Johnny Evans and Alfie Mawson linked at the time. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's the formation we go with either for the rest of this season in patches, or certainly for the start of next season if he is still here.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:11 pm Another thing I thought about is, a lot of us, myself included are all assuming Moyes will play the 5 at the back formation like he did last time. But remember before he joined the club he never played that formation. And didn't when he joined our club last time. He waited 4-5 games in and was then finally implemented this formation. Probably and understandably through desperation as you have to change something if you keep losing.

So there's nothing to say if he had stayed and given the summer to make his own signings instead of Pellers he may not have made the signings needed so he could go back to a flat back 4 he has used all his career.

I always got the impression he was just using that formation to get us to the end of the season. He was heavily scouting McGinn, was watching Dendonker and like Pellers was always going to target a centre half too with Johnny Evans and Alfie Mawson linked at the time. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's the formation we go with either for the rest of this season in patches, or certainly for the start of next season if he is still here.
Evans would have been a fantastic signing
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

I think he'll keep us up. Though I also think just about any vaguely competent new manager could. We have a weakness in CM that needs to be addressed, but we also have way too much talent not to stay up, especially with Fab back. The loss of a great keeper, replaced by disastrous play from Roberto (and then a keeper not at this level) broke a fragile defense. Renewed confidence, and the benefits of Fabs shot stopping and organizing of the defense should help us get enough points to stay safe. The players lost confidence, and Pelle couldn't rebuild it, and once they started talking about... 2 games to save his job, Okay, got a win, 2 more... it's over, a squad never really recovers from that.

My bigger concern is really next season.... what is Moyes' building plan? Is he going to incorporate what we have in terms of talent, or try to re-set yet again, selling for losses and giving us a Frankensteined squad yet again. How will the side play for a manager who only has the 1 year on his deal? What is the long term plan for the club? I very much doubt it is for David Moyes to run the whole football side of the club.

I understand the appeal of a tested old hand to squeak out some draws and enough wins to stay in the league, but what this club desperately needs (other than the impossible dream of a new ownership group) is an organized group of professionals running the football side.... an analytics department, a top to bottom development plan, long-term transfer planning, a footballing identity and philosophy that runs from the first team all the way down through the academy. A professional scouting set-up, etc. etc. etc.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Cellar-door wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:21 pm I think he'll keep us up. Though I also think just about any vaguely competent new manager could. We have a weakness in CM that needs to be addressed, but we also have way too much talent not to stay up, especially with Fab back. The loss of a great keeper, replaced by disastrous play from Roberto (and then a keeper not at this level) broke a fragile defense. Renewed confidence, and the benefits of Fabs shot stopping and organizing of the defense should help us get enough points to stay safe. The players lost confidence, and Pelle couldn't rebuild it, and once they started talking about... 2 games to save his job, Okay, got a win, 2 more... it's over, a squad never really recovers from that.

My bigger concern is really next season.... what is Moyes' building plan? Is he going to incorporate what we have in terms of talent, or try to re-set yet again, selling for losses and giving us a Frankensteined squad yet again. How will the side play for a manager who only has the 1 year on his deal? What is the long term plan for the club? I very much doubt it is for David Moyes to run the whole football side of the club.

I understand the appeal of a tested old hand to squeak out some draws and enough wins to stay in the league, but what this club desperately needs (other than the impossible dream of a new ownership group) is an organized group of professionals running the football side.... an analytics department, a top to bottom development plan, long-term transfer planning, a footballing identity and philosophy that runs from the first team all the way down through the academy. A professional scouting set-up, etc. etc. etc.
Something like this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 56011.html
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

Cellar-door wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:21 pm I understand the appeal of a tested old hand to squeak out some draws and enough wins to stay in the league, but what this club desperately needs (other than the impossible dream of a new ownership group) is an organized group of professionals running the football side.... an analytics department, a top to bottom development plan, long-term transfer planning, a footballing identity and philosophy that runs from the first team all the way down through the academy. A professional scouting set-up, etc. etc. etc.
For as long as G&S own the club, we won't have any of it. It would mean spending money on people, facilities and equipment. Why would a Premier League club do that???
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:52 pm What about that Morelos guy at Rangers - he scores for fun even at Europa League level
An awful player. Has an exceedingly short fuse that easily gets wound up - hence the number of red cards he's had over the last 18 months. Would not get away with the sly digs at players and the diving he does in the SPFL with no VAR. Might also struggle to get a work permit in play in England - Scottish FA have far easier rules.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Wow. That's an incredible set up he had at Man Utd. Seems like he had every detail covered, no stone left unturned. Consider me impressed.

It's just amazing he managed to bomb so spectacularly with all that in place....
Hamadking
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hamadking »

FWIW, I though he came across excellent in his press conference. I felt he done enough to earn the job the last time and I may be in the minority but I am glad he is back.He seems to have a real hunger about him and determination to succeed. He has my backing as we are underperforming all over the pitch and he will give a royal kick up the A@%e to those who need it.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Ladbrokes offering 3/1 for him to leave at the end of this season..
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Wembley1966 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 pm An awful player. Has an exceedingly short fuse that easily gets wound up - hence the number of red cards he's had over the last 18 months. Would not get away with the sly digs at players and the diving he does in the SPFL with no VAR. Might also struggle to get a work permit in play in England - Scottish FA have far easier rules.
But 28 goals in 35 games!
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Sorry if it's been covered and I'm too lazy to look but has his no2 been announced?
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Tristan Shout wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:41 pm Sorry if it's been covered and I'm too lazy to look but has his no2 been announced?
Alan Irvine mentioned on official site...

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... ham-united
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:36 pm But 28 goals in 35 games!
How many against Celtic?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

hammersk wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:35 am Does anyone know if we even tried for Eddie Howe?
Let's be honest, if you were EH and you'd invested years into Bournemouth from top to bottom, would f*** all that hard graft off to come to this shower of **** on an 18 month contract?