David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

steps

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by steps » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:20 pm

Beavis Danzig wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:17 pm
consider burnley a bit of a high point for the bowl personally.
:lol:

Pango

Post by Pango » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:21 pm

Again ... quality post from Ding.

First time I have posted a message this season I think. I have kinda given up the ghost with football to a degree.

However ... We need to get behind David Moyes. It's not his fault we are rudderless and 4th from bottom.

Once again we need our medicine ..... and he is it.

ps You can call it a lack of ambition but who else is available right now that would do a better job ...... err not many .... errr not any !

:crest:

e17

Post by e17 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:23 pm

paulhs1 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:57 pm
Moyes is winning me over. He is saying all the right things thus far
He’s given one press conference lasting about 20 minutes

miketheloop

Post by miketheloop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:24 pm

By all accounts he hasn’t been unemployed for 18 months, he been doing work for UEFA and been doing talks etc. There is more to football than just managing.

And those that keep banging on about his win ratio, he had 58% at Man Utd, not exactly terrible! Plus it’s better than two other managers since. He had THE HARDEST of jobs managing Man Utd after Fergerson, nobody was going to replace Fergy, and nobody has since.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:25 pm

miketheloop wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:24 pm
By all accounts he hasn’t been unemployed for 18 months, he been doing work for UEFA and been doing talks etc. There is more to football than just managing.

And those that keep banging on about his win ratio, he had 58% at Man Utd, not exactly terrible! Plus it’s better than two other managers since. He had THE HARDEST of jobs managing Man Utd after Fergerson, nobody was going to replace Fergy, and nobody has since.
The same MU that had just won the league? The football was dire

waynepin

Post by waynepin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:28 pm

it may be the worse opening game a manager could have, against a poor team who are in decline, if they dig in and play on the counter it is possible they could win, then I can see problems ahead with protests and anger, maybe an away game would have been better against a mid table side that we do not expect to win. he is not going to make that much difference in a couple of days but expectations seem to be high, still hoping for a 3 0 win overtaking them in the league then a strong team for the F A cup game

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:28 pm

miketheloop wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:24 pm

I don't know if Fergie did it intentionally, but it seemed to me like Moyes was set up to be the fall guy for years of mismanagement behind the scenes. He still gets the lion's share of blame from fans for things, like decimating the squad, that he had nothing to do with. He was there for what 7-9 months and signed two players. He didn't even really move anyone on. Yet LVG is lauded by Man U fans for being some sort of visionary for taking a wrecking ball to the squad!

e17

Post by e17 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:32 pm

G&S have literally gone to him because there was no need for paying any other club compensation, and Pellegrini has fallen out with senior players to the point of losing the dressing room.

A large dose of the football played under him last time was awful. At least it was from where I sit. That was my complete reasoning for not wanting him to become permanent, nothing to do with personalities. I suspect that’s why the high % on the poll here. Kumb has a lot of season ticket holders.

Good luck to him, and those posting passionate convictions as to why they think he’s a good choice.

Not for me but let’s hope he proves some of us wrong

duncanio

Post by duncanio » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:33 pm

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:04 pm
Was that before or after he said “it feels great to be home”?
:) As someone else said... we know he wanted the Everton job but he could have rewritten the speech!

I guess they dealt with the contract in a way that they stayed professional and there were no hard feelings.

miketheloop

Post by miketheloop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:33 pm

Ozza wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:25 pm
The same MU that had just won the league? The football was dire
Fergie knew exactly when his time was up, just like when he knew exactly the right time to move a player on. I can’t honestly remember what his football was like but I was referring to his win ratio, which is pretty good.

Hatcham Iron

Post by Hatcham Iron » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:38 pm

We badly needed a change in manager whether we like the new manager or not for me hes an upgrade on pelle. Pelle was OK managing your man city's with their star players but when he came down to our level for me he was clueless. Like him or not we are West ham we need to support a manager who will galvanise the players we have knows the task ahead and will rely on our support to get us out of shat we are in.hes come in to do a job for us ffs let's get behind himand the team :crest:

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:41 pm

Hatcham Iron wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:38 pm
whether we like the new manager or not for me hes an upgrade on pelle.
That right? :o

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:47 pm

I will take a visit to the Erreala (Real Sociedad) fans site and pick up some opinions there on Moyes...

It will be anyway interessting to have such of unbiased fans and those one from a very different background and football taste...

Mo yes, Mo no....

Mo si, Mo no...

HAPPY 2020 to all of you, Hammers!!!!

:scarfer: :crest:

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:12 pm

e17 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:23 pm
He’s given one press conference lasting about 20 minutes
But they were a magic 20 mins where he barely said a thing wrong.

kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:14 pm

I think i must be a rarity around these parts in that:
I'm actually happy enough that Moyes is back as he should have been given longer in the first place
He got us doing the basics and will again
He knows plenty of the Squad
I don't particularly blame Gold and Sullivan because they were under pressure to try someone "classier", it didn't work out
They've got the balls to admit it didn't work out by giving the person they shouldn't have got rid of another try
I feel more confident in Moyes pulling us out of the situation we are in than anyone else because of his previous experience with us
He may not be the future on the other hand he may be

So at least give the guy a chance and stay off his and the boards backs for now
I didn't see anyone complaining when Pellegrini was hired but i bet the same people are slagging G&S off despite them appointing him too.

Mikloskosglovebag

Post by Mikloskosglovebag » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:16 pm

e17 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:32 pm
G&S have literally gone to him because there was no need for paying any other club compensation, and Pellegrini has fallen out with senior players to the point of losing the dressing room.

A large dose of the football played under him last time was awful. At least it was from where I sit. That was my complete reasoning for not wanting him to become permanent, nothing to do with personalities. I suspect that’s why the high % on the poll here. Kumb has a lot of season ticket holders.

Good luck to him, and those posting passionate convictions as to why they think he’s a good choice.

Not for me but let’s hope he proves some of us wrong
Why would any business pay compensation when they have other (in many cases better) options?

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:18 pm

Sorry kit - I predicted Pellegrini wouldn’t last till Christmas (last) working under the owners. I believe he tried a season and didn’t get the backing he wanted and gave up.

steps

Post by steps » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:18 pm

Edit

miketheloop

Post by miketheloop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:22 pm

kitthehammer wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:14 pm
I think i must be a rarity around these parts in that:
I'm actually happy enough that Moyes is back as he should have been given longer in the first place
He got us doing the basics and will again
He knows plenty of the Squad
I don't particularly blame Gold and Sullivan because they were under pressure to try someone "classier", it didn't work out
They've got the balls to admit it didn't work out by giving the person they shouldn't have got rid of another try
I feel more confident in Moyes pulling us out of the situation we are in than anyone else because of his previous experience with us
He may not be the future on the other hand he may be

So at least give the guy a chance and stay off his and the boards backs for now
I didn't see anyone complaining when Pellegrini was hired but i bet the same people are slagging G&S off despite them appointing him too.
I completely agree

Ding

Post by Ding » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:26 pm

Claret & Blue World wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:01 pm
Lengthy post this Ding. Do you have a theory on why all the club in the two top tiers in England or any club on the continent or even Asia who had a managerial vacancy didn't seek to appoint him ?

Do you have a theory as to why the general football punter would hate him managing their club ?

Because if like to here them.....
I have no idea mate.

In fact, we don’t know for sure no one offered him a job between then and now. Perhaps he turned down offers he felt were not right. He did say that he has been working with UEFA (in what capacity I don’t know). Or perhaps it is true no one could get past the albatross hanging around his neck and steered clear. By reputation, he was certainly uncompetitive compared to the likes of Pellegrini, Benitez and countless “progressive” foreign coaches flooding the English league.

Whatever the case, what we do know is this - after three high profile failures, he finally found modest success with us. Most managers would have been rewarded with a shot at a longer term appointment - but he wasn’t - because our owners went for the sexy candidate. Likewise, most football fans would at least acknowledge (if not lionise) his contribution to the fortunes of their club, but it seems we have forgotten how.

I’ve supported West Ham for 4 decades through thick and thin. This isn’t us. Or at least, it shouldn’t be.