David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Ironing Board »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:52 pm He hasn't beaten team in the top 8 away from home in 26 games or something!
I find that hard to believe. That equates to three and a quarter seasons. His West Ham spell will equate to one season, Sunderland one season and Man Utd one season. That leaves a quarter season at Everton, where I find it beyond the realms of possibility that that is true. They finished above Liverpool in his last season there in sixth place.

Of course some may include Sociedad, but that is a foreign league so you are comparing apples with oranges. And even there, he beat the Barcelona team that did an historic La Liga, Copa Del Rey and Champions League treble.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:45 pm I also like moyes and think he should have a proper crack at a full season and a full window. The vitriol directed at him on here is hugely disappointing. To be honest, reading this forum has actually become far more negative and depressing than watching our actual games.

And personally, I also think pellegrini was a shocking manager.
He wasn't shocking. When he had close to his best teams out, we often played half decent football and always tried too, as well as go for the win. What ****ed him in the end was the Keeper situation and yes some of that blame does lie at his and Husillos door. Oh what might have been had say Fabianski who was an integral player in our side, remained mainly fit to play...

And I actually find it heartening to see many other Hammers see Moyes and his philosophy for what it is. I'm not the only one seeing it.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

brothernero wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:55 pm Yep.

So what makes people think that will now change?
Can you back this up with the results, as it seems rather far fetched. Couldn’t beat a team in the Top eight?!? He was sixth at Everton!
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Arsenal and Tottenham, Away
Chelsea, Wolves and Southampton, Home

Are anything but easier and we utter ***** at our new "Home"
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

brothernero wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:00 pm Arsenal and Tottenham, Away
Chelsea, Wolves and Southampton, Home

Are anything but easier and we utter ***** at our new "Home"
Of course they are easier than Man City and Liverpool away.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Colours never run wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:56 pm He wasn't shocking. When he had close to his best teams out, we often played half decent football and always tried too, as well as go for the win.
True. Sadly he, like Bilic before him, gave up by the end. They all seem to get that glazed-eye look before the chop.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:56 pm He wasn't shocking. When he had close to his best teams out, we often played half decent football and always tried too, as well as go for the win. What ****ed him in the end was the Keeper situation and yes some of that blame does lie at his and Husillos door. Oh what might have been had say Fabianski who was an integral player in our side, remained mainly fit to play...

And I actually find it heartening to see many other Hammers see Moyes and his philosophy for what it is. I'm not the only one seeing it.
That's funny because I recall watching us under Pellegrini this season and frequently waiting at least 30 minutes between his attempts at goal. Some games I remember having to wait until the second half. Was that exciting? Can that be pinned on a bad goalkeeper? It's a shame we didn't get to play many other teams as bad as us... if we did then roberto wouldn't have had anything to do. If pellegrinis aim was to play attacking football then he failed miserably this season. I'm not going to get bogged down in stat hunting like many are at the moment, but i'd be very surprised if we're having less attempts at goal now then we were in pellegrinis last 12 or so games. It feels like we're having more to me. Pellegrinis team was just as hopeless at attacking as it was at defending. It wasn't exciting. It was dull, predictable, and hopeless.
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

You win Bubbs66, Moyes will get us to 10th then top 6, then the Champion League. He will win a cup or Twp as well.

In 10 years time he will be a West Ham legend and have his own statue located just next to Gold, Sullivan and Brady's.

:thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:42 pm Every one of those is easier than playing the top 3 - that's why they are the top 3, and the mob you've listed ain't.
Ah right. Just a little easier, then. Misunderstood you.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:45 pm Arsenal are average this season, Chelsea are a Jeckyl and Hyde outfit and Wolves are good, but certainly not great.

Southampton have improved mightily in recent months, but they also looked in severe danger of relegation at one point.

To suggest it is beyond the realms of possibility that we can pick up a few wins against these teams seems excessive.
I am not suggesting that it is 'beyond the realms of possibility', though, that's just you putting words into my post that were never there.

I was agreeing, to begin with, that it appears that replacing one coach with another has hardly led to any improvement in our fortunes.

For the record, I have predicted earlier this week that we will have a surprise result, either against Wolves or Arsenal.

Arsenal are average, for sure, but they bring Moyes out in hives; always have.

Chelsea are Jekyll and Hyde, check, but I seriously doubt that we're going to double them.

How Southampton looked 3 or 4 months ago is clutching at straws.

Reality suggests that Moyes is going to have to change his own ways, before he changes our team's.

And the dead cat might not bounce twice.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:22 pm I am not suggesting that it is 'beyond the realms of possibility', though, that's just you putting words into my post that were never there.

I was agreeing, to begin with, that it appears that replacing one coach with another has hardly led to any improvement in our fortunes.

For the record, I have predicted earlier this week that we will have a surprise result, either against Wolves or Arsenal.

Arsenal are average, for sure, but they bring Moyes out in hives; always have.

Chelsea are Jekyll and Hyde, check, but I seriously doubt that we're going to double them.

How Southampton looked 3 or 4 months ago is clutching at straws.

Reality suggests that Moyes is going to have to change his own ways, before he changes our team's.

And the dead cat might not bounce twice.
I accept your point, but the point is more Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal, which was a whole different ball game. Even then he managed to win and draw a few over the years - remember the Wayne Rooney moment?

In some ways that is what we need. A player who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us with a bit of magic.

And the fact we beat Chelsea suggests our team is able to get at their weaknesses. They have a tendency to overplay, and the likes of Anderson and Bowen will be able to hurt them.

I see is beating or drawing Arsenal and beating or drawing Saints. Wolves are tougher, but they are also quite workmanlike. If they have an off day they don’t really have the outstanding individuals who can make the difference, certainly less so than say, Arsenal or Chelsea.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

brothernero wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:07 pm You win Bubbs66, Moyes will get us to 10th then top 6, then the Champion League. He will win a cup or Twp as well.

In 10 years time he will be a West Ham legend and have his own statue located just next to Gold, Sullivan and Brady's.

:thup:
Be optimistic, mate.

Moyes hasn't played Wolves - the bloke before lost three out of three and never managed a single goal against them.

As for the other four last time we played them under Moyes:

Chelsea H - w 1-0
Southampton H - w 3-0
Spurs A - D 1-1
Arsenal A - L 1-4 (1-1 going into the last 10 and Declan made a big error)

i'd expect 5-7 points when we play them this time.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Where's your optimism, IB?
I think we'll go on a run, beat all three and clinch the Intertoto spot.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:06 pm but i'd be very surprised if we're having less attempts at goal now then we were in pellegrinis last 12 or so games.
That stat is irrelevant in Moyes world. The only stat that matters to our Dave is opportunities to have a shot on goal. Apparently we have lots of those
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Colours never run wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:56 pm say Fabianski who was an integral player in our side, remained mainly fit to play...
He was integral because of how easy we are to create against. Of course he’s a top goalkeeper, but this was on show so much more, because of how much work he actually had to do. That’s not particularly the sign of a good side though is it? I get that people have plenty of reservations about Moyes, but using Pellegrini as an argument against him? :eh:.
Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas »

I couldn't see this anywhere, maybe I just missed it?

Quotes from Moyes on the players not appearing affected by what's going on, this being nothing like Sunderland, etc.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/davi ... nd-1393469
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:33 pm Be optimistic, mate.

i'd expect 5-7 points when we play them this time.
Blimey ! Positivity at its highest ! :thup:

I so hope you're right. I will say that I think Nolan will be the best signing we made in the window !
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

The problem for David Moyes is, I believe, being in 'association' with the board. For me, he comes across as honest, hardworking and not without experience and expertise. Compared to previous managers however, I actually feel more confident with him. Some may feel that wrong or irrational, but I trust him much more than Bilic, Pellegrini etc. His football philosophy is much more Lyall than Greenwood (for those that remember) in being more 'pragmatic'. In following all these threads, the overwhelming conclusion I make is that many latch on to an ideal of football that doesn't really exist (pretty football and winning stuff) that actually doesn't exist unless you have zillions to spend.

Having said that I find Barcelona, Man City, Liverpool football bloody BORING. I will except that that may say more about me than modern football!
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:02 pm He was integral because of how easy we are to create against. Of course he’s a top goalkeeper, but this was on show so much more, because of how much work he actually had to do. That’s not particularly the sign of a good side though is it? I get that people have plenty of reservations about Moyes, but using Pellegrini as an argument against him? :eh:.
Bloke wins HOTY by a mile due to the amount of work he had to do and pulling off saves he had no right to...and the gaffer saw no reason to sort out why we so vulnerable whatsoever.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:31 pm In some ways that is what we need. A player who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us with a bit of magic.
First time around here two years ago your man lucked when just such a player was by far the biggest reason why we stayed in the top league. Without such a talisman, the seeming love of your life looks what he is - a has been relic of the past who's so desperate he'll do anything and say anything to please the only board who have chosen to employ him in the last two years (not once but twice because that's how **** we are).

In fairness West Ham London 2020 and David Moyes can't be called a marriage made in heaven but even so they were most definitely made for each other.