David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Colours never run »

New question for Ironing Board (and for anyone else willing to answer)...

When was the last season you remember David Moyes consistently managing a Team playing well and picking up decent results whilst mainly avoiding horrendous one's? And be honest.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:32 pm New question for Ironing Board (and for anyone else willing to answer)...

When was the last season you remember David Moyes consistently managing a Team playing well and picking up decent results whilst mainly avoiding horrendous one's? And be honest.
Depends what you mean. Here he did pretty well, as there was a marked improvement come the end of the season. But there were also some pastings too. In that case it would be Real Sociedad, where his first season went pretty well.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I said, consistently managing a Team playing well and picking up decent results whilst mainly avoiding horrendous one's in a season.

He didn't do pretty well with us, we were occasionally embarrassed under him and still are for a 2nd time. He kept us up, sure but for me there was always at least 3 Teams worse than us, so I don't think that was any big feat or something to lavish praise upon.

For me, it's getting on close to a decade the last time I thought he fitted the criteria. Something tells me, his dated managerial style has long expired and is certainly not the future we should be going for.
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:32 pm New question for Ironing Board (and for anyone else willing to answer)...

His final season at Everton.

Everything past that has not gone well. Everybody in the country knows that apart from our owners it seems.
Colours never run

Rozzop wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:25 pm His final season at Everton.

Everything past that has not gone well. Everybody in the country knows that apart from our owners it seems.
We're on the same page.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

I think it's convenient for people to dismiss the unfortunate situations that Moyes has found himself in. At Everton he was absolutely flying and that led him to be given arguably the best job in the league. Ok he didn't hit the heights Sir Alex did but nor did his replacements or anybody else subsequently. The delusion was that Man Utd could carry on as they had but it's obvious now that the team was in major decline. Ok Moyes was relieved of duties but who's to say that if he had carried on that they wouldn't be in a similar or better position now. That doesn't make him a bad manager.
I won't try and comment on Sociedad, I know nothing about that and won't pretend I do.
Sunderland was a job he never should have taken, they were beyond saving, they were going down if Pep Guardiola was manager. I don't remember our own Paolo doing such a great job there either. Who could?
And now us who he has saved from relegation once, improved fitness and discipline without proper backing financially from the board during the transfer window. I'm not convinced he'll be able to do it again but I'm also not convinced that if we go down it will be his fault.
I don't think I'm particularly pro Moyes but I find the labelling of him as a crap manager based particularly on Man Utd and Sunderland as mindless.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Rozzop wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:25 pm His final season at Everton.

:thup:

And it was a bloody long time ago.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

Absolute b*llocks that we were certain for relegation under Bilic in 17-18. We got spanked by the Mancs and Scousers under Slav, but in retrospect he was dealing with the fallout of shellshock at just how appalling the migration had been, selling Payet, and bringing in f*** all of quality.

I was at the games that season when Moyes was in charge and we played Everton, Liverpool, Swansea, Burnley, Arsenal & Man City.

Aggregate from those 6 games: us 4, them 24

4-24
Colours never run

e17 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 pm Absolute b*llocks that we were certain for relegation under Bilic in 17-18. We got spanked by the Mancs and Scousers under Slav, but in retrospect he was dealing with the fallout of shellshock at just how appalling the migration had been, selling Payet, and bringing in **** all of quality.

I was at the games that season when Moyes was in charge and we played Everton, Liverpool, Swansea, Burnley, Arsenal & Man City.

Aggregate from those 6 games: us 4, them 24

4-24
I always thought it was an over reaction at the time. Still gutted now as I was then we let him go. The problem was always the move/Owners, not Bilic who was close to a modern day manager made for us and who truly got us. If ever there was a time to use a, be careful what you wish for moment, it's that one.
e17

Post by e17 »

West Brom and Slav will probably take our spot in the Panini album next year
Colours never run

It's looking that way.

Bilic is having an amazing season with West Brom, much in his typical exciting style full of goals and attacking play whilst giving the FA Cup a go at the same time.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

The whole shitshow that was the migration season ****ed Slav, terrible stadium which the players must have thought aswell, payet leaving and the the owners having a champions league challenging team which we was the year before and adding arbeloa, feghouli and Zaza etc. Slav was ideal for us but once again the owners ruined what could have been.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Crikey, are we still debating David Moyes appointment? He has only been here 5 minutes. I understand that some didn't want him anyway and some did, but isn't it sensible to give whoever a chance until the end of season, bearing in mind the **** they took over? I have no idea if Moyes will work out good, bad or indifferent but we are where we are and as a 'supporter' I will support him and the team. What will you do?
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

What was the result of the poll for Moyes as next manager again?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Bilic is doing well at Brom, no question. On the other hand, they should have been promoted last season as they kept their Premier League side in place, but they placed too much faith in a bad manager.

I think Slav will see them safe next season.
Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas »

Moxy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:53 pm Slav was ideal for us but once again the owners ruined what could have been.
It's long been my contention that they don't want us to 'succeed', in the terms they talk about. I think they have a business model - stay in the PL and profit from it as much as possible. The move to the OS, for all it was dressed up to be at the time, was just another way of cutting the club's running costs.

The regular turnover of managers and styles means no one ever gets to complete the rebuilds they start - hobbling us. The turnover of players, bar a few largely underwhelming regulars, hobbles us. Combined, they lead to a perpetually unbalanced, poorly motivated team, hobbling us. Even if they weren't doing it on purpose to begin with, you'd have to be as thick as two short planks not to have noticed by now - and they may be many things, but they're not thick.

Each time a manager has looked like they might be getting us anywhere near knocking on the door of the 'next level', they've whipped the rug out from under his feet. Who, that genuinely wants to see a club in Europe, gives Bilic the transfer window he had that last January at UP? And who, that genuinely wanted the OS to be our stepping stone to better things, would have followed that with the summer one they gave him after that?
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

:thup:
Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 am It's long been my contention that they don't want us to 'succeed', in the terms they talk about. I think they have a business model - stay in the PL and profit from it as much as possible. The move to the OS, for all it was dressed up to be at the time, was just another way of cutting the club's running costs.

The regular turnover of managers and styles means no one ever gets to complete the rebuilds they start - hobbling us. The turnover of players, bar a few largely underwhelming regulars, hobbles us. Combined, they lead to a perpetually unbalanced, poorly motivated team, hobbling us. Even if they weren't doing it on purpose to begin with, you'd have to be as thick as two short planks not to have noticed by now - and they may be many things, but they're not thick.

Each time a manager has looked like they might be getting us anywhere near knocking on the door of the 'next level', they've whipped the rug out from under his feet. Who, that genuinely wants to see a club in Europe, gives Bilic the transfer window he had that last January at UP? And who, that genuinely wanted the OS to be our stepping stone to better things, would have followed that with the summer one they gave him after that?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:07 pm Crikey, are we still debating David Moyes appointment? He has only been here 5 minutes. I understand that some didn't want him anyway and some did, but isn't it sensible to give whoever a chance until the end of season, bearing in mind the **** they took over? I have no idea if Moyes will work out good, bad or indifferent but we are where we are and as a 'supporter' I will support him and the team. What will you do?
Well said. This thread has become a tedious stat-slinging contest. We have no option but to give the bloke a chance and see where we are at the end of the season.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Only those who see relegation as some kind of welcome catharsis for the club could actually want him to do badly, but his tactics etc are still open to scrutiny.

His coaching performance of course has to be viewed in context, and he's been able to make a couple of interesting signings.

I've not been massively impressed to date, but nevertheless could see that a change needed to be made in the dugout.

The court of public opinion is however a fickle mistress; Curbs was brought in at a time similar to Moyes and went on to record 7 victories in his last 9 matches (of that season). History, or at least it's loudest voice, nevertheless records him as 'turgid' and 'boring'.
e17

Post by e17 »

The majority are giving him a chance. The direct protests against his paymasters are being held away from the pitch to give him a chance. I don’t hear a lot before games blaming Moyes for just how horrible everything WHU related currently is.

Oddly, even if he takes us down, even if we go down playing his often standard tedious default option football, I think in the eyes of many he’d still be more welcome back than Pellegrini because as a person he’s just desperate to do well in football at his job.