David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

essexguy

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by essexguy »

This was an immense performance today but there is still a long way to go.

Next 4 games are against Sheff Utd (A), Everton (H), Leicester (A) and Liverpool (H).

That is an incredibly difficult run of fixtures and it isn’t unrealistic to expect 3 points if we are lucky. Sheff Utd have been brilliant at home, Everton are playing well with Ancelotti and no need to comment about Leicester and Liverpool.

I think it’s important to remember today’s performance and not get to disheartened if we do find ourselve still in or around the relegation zone after another 4 games.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Congratulations to Moyes. The pressure that he must have felt knowing that 2/3rds of the support (based on a straw poll) were against him being appointed as manager must have been in the back of his mind.
He deserves to enjoy the result for now, knowing that the scrutiny of any slight mistake will result in that portion of support getting on his back without the benefit of doubt or common sense being applied.

Still that ones behind him. Now on to the cup then a string of very tough league fixtures up to the start of April that include 6 matches out of 10 against top 6 opposition or 8 against top 10 opposition.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

I know it's currently media soundbites etc but a motivated Moyes that has learnt from his past mistakes and is looking to play high press, high intensity football could lead to exciting times...it won't cos it's us...but it could :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 815 likes
Total likes: 3035 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I voted "no", but you can't fault what we saw yesterday .
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 am I voted "no", but you can't fault what we saw yesterday .
I don’t think we could have employed a more determined manager. Seems like a man on a mission. In that respect he reminds me a little of Pearson at Watford. Both men seem pleased to be back in the premier and probably see this as an opportunity to resurrect their reputations.

Good start!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 815 likes
Total likes: 3035 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Started with 6 Pellegrini signings yesterday.

Now is the time I suspect to appoint a DOF, which may not please Moyes, but it's just possible his talent is in coaching and organising players rather than talent spotting.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2393 likes

Post by Ozza »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:59 am Started with 6 Pellegrini signings yesterday.

Now is the time I suspect to appoint a DOF, which may not please Moyes, but it's just possible his talent is in coaching and organising players rather than talent spotting.
I doubt there’s any chance of that now that Sully is back in the DOF seat
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:59 am Started with 6 Pellegrini signings yesterday.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on Husillos’s tenure? Diop, Balbuena, Fornals, Haller are hits I think. I retain hope for Yarmo but the goalkeeper was a hideous error.

Would you have retained him?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

The high press tactic although effective, requires high levels of fitness, my only worry is that we might burn out before the season finishes.

Everyone was blowing at full time, how many times have we seen that in recent times?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 am I voted "no", but you can't fault what we saw yesterday .
He wasn't my first choice by any stretch of the imagination... but yesterday was really something to behold, I was shocked at how we performed with just a few training sessions behind them. As much an indictment of Pellers than anything else...
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Would be a foolish move, I think. He is one of the best talent spotters out there. He will need a robust scouting network in place though.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:23 am The high press tactic although effective, requires high levels of fitness, my only worry is that we might burn out before the season finishes.

Everyone was blowing at full time, how many times have we seen that in recent times?
You don’t do it for a whole match though. You choose when to do full on press, or when to move to a more “soft press” approach Man Utd often used under Fergie.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

westlondonhammer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:51 am [quote="the pink palermo" post_id=5592036 time=<a href="tel:1577947047">1577947047</a> user_id=18735]
I voted "no", but you can't fault what we saw yesterday .
He wasn't my first choice by any stretch of the imagination... but yesterday was really something to behold, I was shocked at how we performed with just a few training sessions behind them. As much an indictment of Pellers than anything else...
[/quote]

Others manage it week in, week out but we will struggle due to poorer fitness levels to begin with. It will take probably a good month to get those levels anywhere near close to where they need to be.
It makes you chuckle a bit, we were told for years the British football suffered due to antiquated fitness and diet plans compared to those around the world. Yet it will take a Glaswegian to whip them into respectable shape for a 2nd time in 2 years.
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

Noble can’t be doing that twice a week, you need someone brought in to help.
Good news is you have Lanzini, Antonio and Masuaku who can slot in if needs be.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:55 am You don’t do it for a whole match though. You choose when to do full on press, or when to move to a more “soft press” approach Man Utd often used under Fergie.
It Depends how the game develops though, doesn't it?

We had the luxury of being 3-0 up at half time, so could afford to sit back a little in the second half, there will be times when we will need to press high up the pitch, in order to get the ball, especially if we are chasing a game, even at the risk of being caught on the break.

It's been clear to see for some time, that we are generally quite unfit, hopefully Moyes will manage things well, as the risk of injury is increased, playing this way.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Given the overwhelming negativity surrounding his appointment, I don't think I've ever wanted a manager to succeed more than I have Moyes. And that's saying something! He did okay last time and I quite like the bloke. I thought a lot of the ill-feeling towards him was built as much on reputation and preconceptions as to our performances/results under him (which given the context, were mostly decent). Of course, if we were playing "dour" football after a year under him, and languishing in 14th or 15th (or worse), then it would be time to wave goodbye, but he deserves a chance in my opinion.

Long way to go, but what a start. Well done Moyes!
westlondonhammer

Rays Rock wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:00 am Others manage it week in, week out but we will struggle due to poorer fitness levels to begin with. It will take probably a good month to get those levels anywhere near close to where they need to be.
They do and there is no reason our players can't show that level of commitment and work rate consistently. I do accept it may take a few weeks to fully get up to speed, but if we can consistently show that level of work, we will quickly climb the league and be looking up rather than down.
westlondonhammer

Brown Sauce wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:03 am Noble can’t be doing that twice a week, you need someone brought in to help.
Good news is you have Lanzini, Antonio and Masuaku who can slot in if needs be.
I'd imagine an alternative to Noble / Rice in the middle of the park would be the first priority signing...
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

I
How can you say that? He identified Hugil didn't he? :wink:
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:22 pm Moyes might be getting one off the missus tonight after that result!
Stone me your wife must be a bigger fan than even you are. :shock:

Sorry IB just kidding, I couldn't resist.