David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by anjado »

thejackhammer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:35 pm Without Fredericks and Antonio we had to play Masuaku or we'd have been devoid of pace. Masuaku's defensive work is suspect, and Sheffield United have struggled against three at the back.

We had the best of the chances, had two goals disallowed, Haller had a couple of chances, Lanzini and Anderson both should have scored and their only goal came from an error from our 3rd choice goalkeeper.
I understand your point but Antonio never played against Bournemouth, Surely Fredericks missing from the team shouldn't require a complete change in formation, He had already changed the formation before Fredericks was injured anyway so it looks to me that is what he thinks our best way forward is despite us putting in comfortably our best performance of the season against Bournemouth.

Sheffield United struggled to beat us last time we played them if we had a competent goalkeeper and were more ruthless we would have won that game comfortably. So I don't think it would have mattered if we played 5 at the back or 4 in fact with 5 at the back i feel we look a lot worse we sit back and dont press which you can't get away with in the modern game.

Yes we had the best chances but if you are going to say a goalkeeping error cost us the game which is a fair point, our two best chances came from there defenders falling over. So it can't really be argued it was good play by us rather than poor mistakes by them.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Anyone remember when we thought Klopp was rumoured to be coming here? Just had that memory listening to sky sports talking about this record run they are on
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:25 pm When we are defending we are starting to hoof: the midfield Harry and harass and once they have the ball they pass sideways and backwards. We should definitely start having some shots. Less than 10 a game is really not very entertaining - less than 5 is mind numbing. Last couple of games 180 mins we’ve managed about 4 on target. Yes I know everyone is trying to give Moyes a chance but surely we don’t want to bore opposition and ourselves to death. This is football not chess.
We've only played two league games under Moyes, one of which was a 4-0 victory? Prior to Moyes, we were also going through games with very few shots. In fact, our ineffectual attacking play has been one of our clearest downfalls this season.

I honestly feel so many people are so grounded in their opinion of Moyes that they will use the first and any available opportunity to push their anti-Moyes beliefs, whether they are true, false or open to debate. That's not to dig you out Georgee, far from it, you're a great poster, just a general observation that I think was inevitable when we hired him.

I don't agree that we only set out to draw the game on Friday. I think we tried to match a grinding, hardworking and on-form team and play it safe with cautious tactics. But I still think we played with the intention to win, and had it not been for an individual error or a nonsensical handball rule, we would've come away with at least a draw.

Only time will tell of course, but I think to knock Moyes for anti-football, negative tactics after 2 league games, one of which was a 4-0 victory, is a little unfair and without context.

I've gotta be honest, the fact he's fighting against such a tide of opinion has made me more eager for him to succeed. The underdog, so to speak. I'm fairly sure there's a very good manager in there, but like I say, time will tell. I've been a staunch advocate for Wilshere and Carroll in the past, and I know I was wrong there!
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

Ozza wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 am Anyone remember when we thought Klopp was rumoured to be coming here? Just had that memory listening to sky sports talking about this record run they are on
He's put in the same illustrious bin as Gomez, Lacazette, Neymar (:lol:), Carvalho etc
OFT
Has liked: 3241 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Ozza wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 am Anyone remember when we thought Klopp was rumoured to be coming here? Just had that memory listening to sky sports talking about this record run they are on
:D

Yeah, I bet he's awake at night gnashing those imperious teeth of his wondering what may have been. :P
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

We've only played two league games under Moyes, one of which was a 4-0 victory? Prior to Moyes, we were also going through games with very few shots. In fact, our ineffectual attacking play has been one of our clearest downfalls this season.

I honestly feel so many people are so grounded in their opinion of Moyes that they will use the first and any available opportunity to push their anti-Moyes beliefs, whether they are true, false or open to debate. That's not to dig you out Georgee, far from it, you're a great poster, just a general observation that I think was inevitable when we hired him.

I don't agree that we only set out to draw the game on Friday. I think we tried to match a grinding, hardworking and on-form team and play it safe with cautious tactics. But I still think we played with the intention to win, and had it not been for an individual error or a nonsensical handball rule, we would've come away with at least a draw.

Only time will tell of course, but I think to knock Moyes for anti-football, negative tactics after 2 league games, one of which was a 4-0 victory, is a little unfair and without context.

I've gotta be honest, the fact he's fighting against such a tide of opinion has made me more eager for him to succeed. The underdog, so to speak. I'm fairly sure there's a very good manager in there, but like I say, time will tell. I've been a staunch advocate for Wilshere and Carroll in the past, and I know I was wrong there!
[/quote]

Excellent post and spot on mate

There are too many on here who just want him to fail. The performance was not that bad Friday - he set the team up to be difficult to beat but to also break when we could which worked. We also had the better and more clearer chances and had 2 chalked off, so why people are lamenting the display I don't know. The only areas I didn't agree with were not playing Fornals from the start and perhaps the isolation of Haller, but the latter was more to do with the more defensive set up, which was different for the home game.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I'm not against Moyes playing very defensively away from home, given that we are an 8th-17th club it is expected. But at home I hope we don't employ the same system. I hope we are more progressive or at least try to be. Let's just see how we set up at home, Bournemouth was promising and I believe he won't be as negative at home.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

What chance does Moyes have with the Mickey Mouse owners we have, we can all sit here and make assumptions about all of the managers we have had in the previous 10 years but ultimately they can only be as good as the people above them. If your not given the tools to do the job then that job becomes an almost impossible task. The goalkeeping situation is making us look like a joke, why didn’t we go for Begovic or Reina, they are used to being backup players but can also step up to first choice.... it’s a mystery what’s going on
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Preston north end and David moyes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

As a player for preston north end and later cutting his teeth as manager there
David moyes obviously has a great affinity with the club

So it comes as no surprise to me that there goalkeeper is on the hammers january radar.
Remember last time moyes was here we signed Jordan hughill from Preston for 10 million.
Coincidence that preston are being targeted for on their players I wonder ?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Preston north end and David moyes

Post by thejackhammer »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 pm As a player for preston north end and later cutting his teeth as manager there
David moyes obviously has a great affinity with the club

So it comes as no surprise to me that there goalkeeper is on the hammers january radar.
Remember last time moyes was here we signed Jordan hughill from Preston for 10 million.
Coincidence that preston are being targeted for on their players I wonder ?
You say it as if Hugill was a complete no mark.

He was on his way to sign for Palace and Ayew and Sakho had just been sold.

Randolph is injured and we've been sporadically linked with Rudd, who is Preston's Number one.

This is a tenuous attempt to undermine Moyes if ever I saw one. The Cowley's might get their chance one day don't worry.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Do you seriously think Moyes prised open Sully's wallet whilst he was asleep and relieved him of £10M? And Sully not only stood for that, he later re-hired him...?
lincolnhammer1963
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Hughill was signed for 10 million.
Not a small amount of money
He came in to replace players that left the club that january.
He didn't really cut the mustard at premier league level in the short time he had here.
Loaned to boro moderate success
Loaned to QPR better than last season
Will he get his chance at west ham who knows.
The point I'm trying to make is that we took a punt on a preston player and didn't work.
I'm not saying this goalkeeper isn't any good.
I know the goalkeeper situation is a problem for us.
I know I sound cynical.
I actually think david moyes will keep us in this league
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:16 pm The point I'm trying to make is that we took a punt on a preston player and didn't work.
Fair enough - I'm saying it wasn't necessarily Moyes or Moyes alone who took the punt as your OP seemed to be implying - in fact I cannot conceive that Sully would not be all over how £10M of "his" money was being spent.

A number of people have characterised Hughill - whatever his worth - as a "Moyes signing" simply because of the PNE connection, and I'm not sure that was ever borne out.
Rozzop
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

We obviously dont have much of a scouting network.
OFT
Has liked: 3241 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 pm We obviously dont have much of a scouting network.
Was it not reported that Moyes made that very point when he was here first time and suggested the club underwent a 'detailed' review or such like of its scouting etc.?
Rozzop
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

OFT wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:21 pm Was it not reported that Moyes made that very point when he was here first time and suggested the club underwent a 'detailed' review or such like of its scouting etc.?
Possibly.

We just seem out of touch on transfers. Get in a player who looked decent on match of the day five years ago in Allen

Where are our Ndidis, Neves, Gomez etc?
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:52 pm Possibly.

We just seem out of touch on transfers. Get in a player who looked decent on match of the day five years ago in Allen

At other clubs..
Seriously, it feels as if the scouting at this club is virtually, non-existent.
This mob would NEVER have signed Devonshire for £5k. They wouldn't even have known that he existed, until he played against us.
Lil Joe 17
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:52 pm Possibly.

Diop, Balbuena (arguable, but cheap and good value at 4m despite recent performances), Lanzini, could also say Declan Rice a while ago when he was released from Chelsea.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

OFT wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:21 pm Was it not reported that Moyes made that very point when he was here first time and suggested the club underwent a 'detailed' review or such like of its scouting etc.?
GSB didn't want to pay for the detailed review.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Lil Joe 17 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:06 am Diop, Balbuena (arguable, but cheap and good value at 4m despite recent performances), Lanzini, could also say Declan Rice a while ago when he was released from Chelsea.
The issue is that Balbuena was a Husillos signing and Lanzini was tracked by Bilic when he was in Turkey.

I'm unsure on Diop.

GSB rely on their managers to do the scouting, that's not how a Premier League club should operate.