David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Georgee Paris »

Aceface wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:13 am It’s hard enough to take the narrative that we went over and above on the finances when it comes from media outside the club, without it taking root within.

We spent £87m that first transfer window, a decent chunk of which was generated the window before by selling Ayew and Sakho. Does anyone look at another club making a one-off spend of £87m and think it will be transformative? You know what that level of outlay should get you? A top ten finish. And it did.

Similarly having to repeatedly hear about the ‘£45m investment’ in a new striker as a sign of largesse, as if we didn’t have to sell our best player to fund it.
It’s far easier to say he was given 170 million. I wonder if those figures will be taken into account from the start of this window or will Moyes start from a clean slate?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Feeling very underchuffed with the return of Moyes.

It's obvious that the team lack a bit of grit and steel in the middle of the park...perhaps a British manager can instill that, although Moyes' transfer record with us is grim.

We're one of the many teams in this league who are awful when on a bad run but can also be great when confidence is up. Hopefully a new manager will give us a fresh start.

10 years in charge and GSB have taken us nowhere except an athletics stadium.

Good luck Moyes, as west ham boss you'll get my backing. :crest:
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

Georgee Paris wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 am I said to be careful earlier on in the season when many were laughing at Newcastle and the Bruce appointment. I said then it wouldn’t be long before we were once again the laughing stock of the Premier League.
That would be the Newcastle who beat us at home and are 6 places above us in the league. I don't want to be Newcastle and obviously we will never get out of this cycle of shitness with G and S but I'm okay with Moyes. He wanted to professionalise the club top to bottom which is what we need. At least we'll be organised and put a shift in. I also think there's a lot of exoticism about foreign managers. They don't really do that much different, it's not like anyone is playing total football. Pochetino would have been nice but obviously we have zero chance of getting him or anyone in that bracket.
My main worry is Pearce who is not the sharpest football brain to say the least.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Just heard his first interview and he is saying all the right things and he's exactly what this group of players need. They are all far too casual and will take the piss given half a chance.

It's a boring appointment, but I've just seen he was at the training ground about 7 this morning and I can imagine he will work his b*llocks off.

Time to get some character and work in the team. This team has a bit of that Arsenal poison running through it and maybe Moyes can change that culture and get some of those players out.

I'd start with Lanzini.
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Napoleon Solo wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:05 am I've got 100% confidence in Gold & Sullivan, they know what they're doing and remember, if it wasn't for them we'd still be playing at Upton Park.

However, Mauricio Pochettino would have been a better appointment.
How was that going to happen? Its natural for any fan to assume a manager out of work wants to come here but Pooch? Only job he will want to walk into is a Champions league outfit with a high reputation.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

with this current group of players does anybody think he can get them looking like a professional football team and maybe even playing like one, or will it be the keystone cops again ?
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:24 am Just heard his first interview and he is saying all the right things and he's exactly what this group of players need. They are all far too casual and will take the piss given half a chance.

It's a boring appointment, but I've just seen he was at the training ground about 7 this morning and I can imagine he will work his b*llocks off.

Time to get some character and work in the team. This team has a bit of that Arsenal poison running through it and maybe Moyes can change that culture and get some of those players out.

I'd start with Lanzini.
I think Moyes will get the best from Lanzini. I have always said his best role is when we dispossess a side inside our half and he breaks into space.
Different system and manager. Lanzini to shine !!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'll tell you one thing. Our players will be better prepared for matches and be better briefed of their opponents strength's and weaknesses in away they never were under Pellegrini, as Moyes always scouted the oppo ahead of games. They will also no longer have to strain their ears to try to understand just what the f*** it is he was trying to say. If I gave up bothering to listen to his mumbo jumbo over a year ago, you can be sure the players did long before that
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:42 am It's funny isnt it. When Pelle signed, a premier league winner no less, was given a sizeable kitty, it was considered next level.

If that's next level, then you can poke it.

What I am reading and hearing is spursy levels of fickle.
Considered next level and a sizeable kitty by who?

The way I remember it Rich, we’d had 2 windows under Bilic and Moyes that were so so bad that the owners had been pelted with invisible coins in response.

I mean Dickens gruel levels of windows and purchases

I remember people being excited and positive about Pellegrini coming in, understandably based on his track record, and people being happier that he’d not just signed Jordan Hugill.

I don’t think you understand what “Spursy levels” entails if you think people moaning about this re-appointment compares.

I’d ****ing love to be “Spursy levels” of a **** WHU supporter Rich.

What is it with people defending the board by putting down those of us who aren’t willing to simply buy their **** anymore? It’s not even an attack on Moyes, it’s an attack on their running of the club and this infinite loop of ***** they’ve put us in
e17

Post by e17 »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:24 am Just heard his first interview and he is saying all the right things and he's exactly what this group of players need. They are all far too casual and will take the piss given half a chance.

I'd start with Lanzini.
I’d start without Noble.

Put his foot down big time as a symbol that he’s in charge.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I pretty much base my opinion of all managers on the same thing..."Are they prepared to work for our owners?"

If they are, I don't like them.

It tends to leave me in a pretty much no-win position when it comes to liking our managers or not.

Having said that, I don't mind Moyes. Think Man Utd ****ed up an excellent manager. But he was atrocious at Sunderland and there is still the smell of mediocrity around him.

The truth is, I don't really care. I didn't even look at our result against Leicester until the following day. That's never happened in my life before.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The board deserve all they get - but Moyes should be supported and judged by his games from this point forward. He/we are be the subject of ridicule at the moment and so I wish him success and hope that he makes many eat their words. I also pray for a win against Spurs... let's see how they handle being beaten by a David Moyes West Ham.

Honestly though, I still think he's a decent manager who made some very unwise career choices (and that perhaps includes us too). I think he'll make a good job of it. As Chalks said earlier in the thread - I'd rather have a manager that wants to be here than a manager that can't be arsed.
e17

Post by e17 »

Yeah let’s be clear; anyone booing the bloke on his announcement against Bournemouth should just not attend.

He’s taken a job that Pellegrini clearly didn’t want more than the pay off, and for that alone he should not be getting attacked. That’s not who we are
Graza

Post by Graza »

crazyknight wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:03 am False equivalencies though. Moyes' 33 in 27 came in one season, with no pre-season, having not signed a player and having to deal with three out of four star signings that weren't performing, not being allowed to sign anybody, having the board underbid for decent targets and ending up with Hugill as a panic buy because somebody at Preston told Moyes he was a nice, hard-working lad.

Pellegrini's 32 in 27 came across two seasons, both of which came with a full-preseason, spending over 100m on players (some of which signed by his hand-picked chief scout), not improving obvious key positions that needed improving, not building on what he was handed, forcing the chairman to sign his number one target at any cost as his equivalent of Van Halen's bowl of M&Ms with no brown ones in it, leaving no money to sign a central midfielder two seasons despite selling one each summer.

And we need to be honest. West Ham in the summer of 2018 were in crisis. It needed to be a five-window fix; plug up the obvious holes in the team, find obvious replacements for older members of the squad, then find players who can kick the club up a notch. That was going to take 2 1/2 to 3 years with a manager of vision who actually knows how to do that sort of thing but completely impossible with somebody like Pellegrini.
Cut some bits for brevity.

I'm not sure it is a false equivalent. Yes Moyes didn't get to splash the cash. He didn't have a team gutted of depth to save a few quid on wages either. The buys weren't perfect but they were to start us in the right direction. You hit the nail on the head in the last para, we needed a five window fix. We got one window, pause for one window, then massively backwards on the squad let's cross our fingers no one loses form or gets injured window.

Personally I think Pellegrini was sold a pup. Lured in, given the money to do the first phase of a transition plan then told that's your lot, nothing there for phases 2/3/4/5. I've lost count of how many times I've said it in here, going in the transfer market once was pointless to the point of being wasteful if they weren't going to go again the following summer. They didn't and we are where we are. The players aren't stupid, the ones who came in for proper money will have been told the same **** as Pellers, more coming, going places etc. Yet they'll look around and see it for the hollow ****ing lie it is. Look at the way Payet left, if we'd gone out and bought a few proper players to fit around him would he have huffed off so dramatically? But no Nordveit, Fergulli and Calleri were brought in.

Now none of that is Moyes' fault. He is a symptom. The cancer lies in the board room.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:36 am. As Chalks said earlier in the thread - I'd rather have a manager that wants to be here than a manager that can't be arsed.
This I agree with whole heartedly. Moyes has something to prove, unlike Pellegrini or say Benitez or Ancelloti. They are yesterday's men and just chasing ££$$'s.
It may not be the appointment most of us hoped for but he has my backing as manager until it all turns ugly as it sadly will one day. Tis a precarious job being a Football Manager, as soon as you've been hired, you're on the countdown to the tin tack.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

chigwells finest wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:12 am id like to give the man a chance before i slaughter him , if he can get a tune out of this tired and mentally defeated squad good luck to him , appointment is 6 weeks minimum too late , but we have to get behind him .

PS its hard to disagree with anything in E17 post
And i’ll Second that agreement, or lack of disagreement.

At the start of this season we may of beaten man u and Norwich but we were not playing that well. They were just worse than us. At the time I thought that it was a bit rose tinted specs to talk about #thenextlevel.

Just like the start of every season in the top flight for the last 40+ years, I look for three teams worse than us to avoid relegation. At the moment I only see two.

By the end of January we will be in the bottom three (with or without Moyes) and have been on the end of severe spankings from Everton, liverpool and Leicester’s A team.

But, while I didn’t particularly want him back, I think that Moyes is better equipped to keep us up than others mentioned on here. He’ll be looking at the fixture list and has probably already decided to try to limit the goal difference damage as we may not be able to pull together back to back wins until April.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Davey Moyes' Claret & Blue Army! :scarfer:
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:28 am I'll tell you one thing. Our players will be better prepared for matches and be better briefed of their opponents strength's and weaknesses in away they never were under Pellegrini, as Moyes always scouted the oppo ahead of games. They will also no longer have to strain their ears to try to understand just what the **** it is he was trying to say. If I gave up bothering to listen to his mumbo jumbo over a year ago, you can be sure the players did long before that
This exactly :crest:
Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

A very underwhelming appointment. But I will back him, as I would any new manager of West Ham United. I hope he gets the chance to sort the team out and instill some passion and pride in the shirt from the players.

Good luck DM

COYI
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Fu*k the naysayers and moaners - I’m in!

Blank slate and my full support. Really liked his interview and clearly wants to do well. Thinks that sooner or later someone is going to get it right at West Ham and he wants it to be him. Good for you Moysey!

Has said all the right things but actions speak louder than words. There will be a few players blowing in training this week, and not in a good way!