Manuel Pellegrini sacked

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Discobar

Re: Manuel Pellegrini (Now Sacked)West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Discobar » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:57 am

wormley wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:54 am
I think the boss should get a poll up on who we want for manager. Not that it will affect the decision makers but hey ho.
100%

steps

Post by steps » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:58 am

Everton flirted with taking Moyes back (their most successful manager) but decided against it due to a huge backlash amongst the fans.

Appointed Ancelotti, 2 played - 2 won.

Aim higher West Ham. FFS

Discobar

Post by Discobar » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:59 am

steps wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:58 am
Everton flirted with taking Moyes back (their most successful manager) but decided against it due to a huge backlash amongst the fans.

Appointed Ancelotti, 2 played - 2 won.

Aim higher West Ham. FFS
Good Ebening

Morocco Mole

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Morocco Mole » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:00 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:32 pm
Unfortunately we're not looking for the best manager available. We're looking for the best manager that can work under the current regime. That massively reduces the shortlist. Like it or not, Moyes might actually be the best option. He's a long way from being my ideal manager but he's a proper coach, and hopefully - if he is appointed - he'll bring with him a proper team of coaches. Looking at it positively, his only target last time around was to avoid relegation. It was a short term appointment. Most managers that get brought in to save a club from relegation don't care about building something or playing attractive football. They do what's necessary to achieve their short term goal. It would have been interesting to see what he'd have done with a summer window and a fresh season. Dyche certainly wouldn't bring us football that's more positive than Moyes, and I'm not sure at all about Howe... I think that one could go either way. Emery has had a single gig in the premier league and he failed so I'm not sure why people think he'd be any better than the likes of Hughton or Moyes. Kovac would be a dream appointment - but can we honestly see that working out long term with our owners? We have a bunch of options and we're going to have to decide which one is slightly less worse than the others. Pellegrini was failing badly and had to go... sometimes a change of manager and a change of thinking is enough to completely alter the performances of players. See Arnautovic under Moyes. I personally never thought we were really good enough to get away with that gung-ho attacking style... and our defensive issues have been apparent for a long time. I'm happy to have a manager that' a little more pragmatic and thinks about the defensive side of our game as much as the attacking. We need that... we're not good enough for anything else right now. We're certainly not good enough to waltz into games thinking that we're just going to beat the opposition without watching them or creating a plan to deal with them. Anything more ambitious than that will have to wait until the club is sold - and even then we have to hope they don't sell us to even worse.
Agree with all that mate...but then I’d have given him the gig first time round. :thup:

Scott Parker would be my first choice though. But the Schnorrers haven’t got the ****hole to go for a novice.

As for Pellegrini - nice bloke but past it. Will walk away with an obscene amount of money for making a giant ****ing pigs ear of it.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:02 am

Nail in the coffin....dropping the chairman's pet Noble.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:04 am

Doc H Ball wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:53 am
Can someone offer a reason as to why no other Club have employed Moyes in the last 20 months?

It’s like needing a heart op and choosing to go with a freelance out of work surgeon.

What’s the bloke been doing? Does he moonlight as a fireman or something?
Who knows?

If you were a multi-millionaire ex-PL manager -how many clubs would really appeal?

Pellegrini and Benitez - two of the more illustrious names in Euro football were/are buggering about in China. Mourinho was working for Sky for months. Where's Wenger? Ancelotti has just gone to Everton - a job Moyes walked away from.

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:05 am

It’s also worth remembering that our lot are all about image. They dress us up more than Alexander McQueen.

Try selling Moyes in corporate. I mean you can f*** your fan base off, but when the glossies come out do you really want old crevasse face on your portfolio?

steps

Post by steps » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:06 am

Discobar wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:59 am
Good Ebening
Que?

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:08 am

James P wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:50 pm
Three days before the end of the decade and I’m gonna agree with bubbs for the first time :D

The football really wasn’t that bad but his face didn’t fit. Pellegrini was a sexy appointment but has delivered very little. I truly believe had Moyes been retained in 2018 we would be in a much better place in terms of both results and performance
No, the football was terrible. He shoe horned Cresswell into a back three, he threw the Carling cup quarter final at Arsenal.

Moyes was as bad as Curbishley and on a level with Allardyce for negativity. Three at the back makes us rigid and, if it weren’t for Arnie playing out of his skin, we would probably have gone down under him the last time.

steps

Post by steps » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:09 am

Doc H Ball wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:05 am
It’s also worth remembering that our lot are all about image. They dress us up more than Alexander McQueen.

Try selling Moyes in corporate. I mean you can **** your fan base off, but when the glossies come out do you really want old crevasse face on your portfolio?
I said this earlier in the pub. Jayne won’t put bums on seats in the Hollywood Bowl.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:11 am

Doc H Ball wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:05 am

Try selling Moyes in corporate. I mean you can **** your fan base off, but when the glossies come out do you really want old crevasse face on your portfolio?
They've just employed/sacked a bloke older than Methusalah, Doc - and they're hardly members of the next big hit boy band , are they?

They need a credible competitor - not a relic, not a survivor - but someone who will have the club up where Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield United are currently.

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:13 am

bubbles1966 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:04 am
Who knows?

If you were a multi-millionaire ex-PL manager -how many clubs would really appeal?

Pellegrini and Benitez - two of the more illustrious names in Euro football were/are buggering about in China. Mourinho was working for Sky for months. Where's Wenger? Ancelotti has just gone to Everton - a job Moyes walked away from.
That’s fair enough. Maybe he’s been enjoying his golf.

Just seems odd that a bloke who took on the Sunderland job when it looked like poison, who packed his suncream (fwiw) and headed to somewhere in Spain then took on a 6 month contract for one of the most wretched people on earth would suddenly spend 2 years biding his time.

il_martello_di_genovesi

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:15 am

steps wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:09 am
I said this earlier in the pub. Jayne won’t put bums on seats in the Hollywood Bowl.
Pellegrini was brought in as the man to do that. Play sexy football, put bums on seats and give us some success. I find more people leaving early and not wanting to go under Pellegrini than anyone else...myself included. It’s been some of the most **** performances and **** football than under anyone else.

DaveWHU1964

Manuel Pellegrini (Now Sacked)West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by DaveWHU1964 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:18 am

It will depend on which league we’re in but if it’s the championship (and I think it will be) then Nobes will likely be player manager imho.

Discobar

Post by Discobar » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:19 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:18 am
It will depend on which league we’re in but if it’s the championship (and I think it will be) then Nobes will likely be player manager imho.
Nolan has more chance

il_martello_di_genovesi

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:20 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:18 am
His current leadership skills involve having to be restrained from our best performer this season for something that he was more at fault for. I’d rather Pellegrini back.

Hammer Laffers

Post by Hammer Laffers » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:23 am

I dunno...like Allardyce and Bilic I just feel like his time had come. We have been terrible this season and I've not seen anything that had pointed to a turnaround.

We'll be ok under Moyes.

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:24 am

Do they need to appoint immediately or put someone in charge for a week or so while they sort their **** out.
Everton have just done the very same thing with a caretaker in charge for a couple of matches.
We aren’t cut adrift, so I’d rather they tried to entice someone like Howe than go straight to Moyes first.

Discobar

Post by Discobar » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:26 am

Rays Rock wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:24 am
Do they need to appoint immediately or put someone in charge for a week or so while they sort their **** out.
Everton have just done the very same thing with a caretaker in charge for a couple of matches.
We aren’t cut adrift, so I’d rather they tried to entice someone like Howe than go straight to Moyes first.
Wish we had someone like Duncun Ferguson we could call on in the interim

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:31 am

Discobar wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:26 am
Wish we had someone like Duncun Ferguson we could call on in the interim
They could put Noble in charge, it really wouldn’t matter, as long as they sound some people out before panicking.
Look how terrible Watford were, and Pearson has come in and started to get a tune out of them.
It doesn’t have to be a big name, it could be a lower league candidate.