Manager 18 - David Moyes: yes or no? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the installation of David Moyes as West Ham United's next full-time manager?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:18 am

Yes
18%
No
74%
Unsure
8%

Total votes: 406

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Re: Manager 18 - David Moyes: yes or no? [POLL]

Post by dodger »

ageing hammer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:25 am No there are much better options but the cost money, for bringing in Hugil alone I wouldn't have him here again
Playing devil’s advocate a bit here, but if we’re picking out the biggest wastes brought in by managers, all of our recent ones (and probably the ones before my time too) have had their own nightmares...

Off the top of my head:
Redknapp - too many to name
Roeder - Breen
Pardew - Bridge
Zola - Savio
Allardyce - Jarvis, Rat, Maiga, Diarra
Bilic - Ayew, Feghouli, Nordveidt
Pellegrini - Sanchez, Wilshere, Yarmolenko, Perez.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2180 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I've put unsure because I remember he got the players fitter last time round but it was underwhelming sometimes too.

We should be looking at top drawer managers but we don't fund them properly so we are where we are for that reason.
antonyirons

Post by antonyirons »

At about this time in Uncle Avram's reign when the relegation writing was on the wall in neon letters ten feet high I wrote a piece for OLAS advocating the immediate appointment of Sam Allardyce, a cri de coeur that even I regarded as heretical in terms of everything I believed about The West Ham Way etc etc. Sadly G&S didn't listen to me with the inevitable result though when they finally got round to following my advice once we'd been relegated it turned out to be absolutely the right appointment for the circumstances in which we found ourselves. We're in the same ****hole now so for me it's a no-brainer; Moyes dug us out of the **** last time and he'll do it again and if (and I know it's a big IF) he is then allowed to mould the club the way he wants it we have a chance of some years of stability. I can see already that this view is heretical to most others posting on this site but these are dark times, people, sexy football is off the menu, it's about survival and consolidation for the next few years.
Tenbury
Has liked: 728 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

No to Moyes,No to the Spivs,No to their perfumed poodle, No to the future , No to f*cking everything.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:38 am No to Moyes,No to the Spivs,No to their perfumed poodle, No to the future , No to f*cking everything.
This
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

anyone introducing the caveat of "i don't know who else would come to us" is letting the board off the hook for their own failures.

i wouldn't have wanted moyes at the boleyn, letalone dragging myself to the OS to watch his turgid b*llocks.

as for "he got us fitter", even that was all a myth. the stats bear it out. the slight percentage increase in our running didn't even compensate for the time spent with 10 men on the pitch due to red cards in and we were still at the very bottom of the table for fitness.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

No.

Major regression. Also, we now minus Arnie, Chich, Kouyate, Obiang, Mario and a pre injury Lanzini. That was the bulk of the team that made the most difference in 2027/2018.

This situation is a testament to rank incompetence. And the fact that we are no more advanced than two years ago is something to inspire despair.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Big George wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:33 am No but same. Walked away with a wad of season tickets from people who can’t be arsed to go on Wednesday.

The sort of people who used to move family occasions for games, now are looking for excuses not to go.

It’s horrible.
We are already discussing who can be bothered going for the rest of the season. Not sure what they can do to make the day any worse now
Graza

Post by Graza »

No. Catalog of reasons

1) was deemed not the right man last time so why would he be this time
2) the football was dross last time
3) his record with us was papered over by playing Leicester and Wolves who had both clocked off and had eyes on a cup final respectively
4) literally no one would be better - appoint a caretaker obviously but take some time and get a proper long term option
5) never go back
6) he might actually save us from the drop and I think we need it to have a clear out of playing staff and to stick a thumb in the eye of the owners. Yes I would accept relegation to spite the owners and show them that the bare ****ing minimum investment isn't enough in this league.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by MadMart »

It's a NO fro me witht eh caveat that I don't want Chris Houghton either - we are so ****ed
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

I voted yes.
The perpetual pickle we find ourselves in calls for a safety first approach.
It's **** as usual. I see it as a temporary role until a real candidate pops up.
Relegation may provide light relief from the annual humdrum of purely surviving in the top tier but it ain't the way forward. It won't hasten the owners exit and will only make things harder for us.
The real problem is those who choose.
Moyes will get a reaction and demand as well as receive more from the players.
We look slow, lumbering and clueless. Turning that around to be just like Burnley always are is a prerequisite.
Tenbury
Has liked: 728 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

OK Antony,being rational(when there's really no reason to be),

I hear that argument,and I respect it. Tell me though,just what are we ' surviving and consolidating for '?I

Is it anything more than the delight of watching ,from a distance, the 'Man City Allstars' roll up once a year,or a trip to some remote lower league outfit to throw a cup game?
Pob!
Has liked: 1064 likes
Total likes: 696 likes

Post by Pob! »

I've gone No!
However I can't see who else would want the job let alone get us out of the stinky brown stuff we are in at the moment.

So I understand the appointment if it happens.

TBH Its got to the point where I don't give a **** anymore. :thdn:
Chimera
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chimera »

Said no, but it really doesn't matter who the manager is.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

hadleighhammer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:27 am No. I don't want to endure Moyes version of West Ham ever again.
This
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Yes.

He's the manager West Ham and it's players deserve, and the medicine needed.

"If you don't run, you don't play."

Good.
Last edited by Irrons on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Het-Field wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:43 am No.

Major regression. Also, we now minus Arnie, Chich, Kouyate, Obiang, Mario and a pre injury Lanzini. That was the bulk of the team that made the most difference in 2027/2018.

This situation is a testament to rank incompetence. And the fact that we are no more advanced than two years ago is something to inspire despair.

That's some proper Back to the Future stuff, there. But fully agree with everything else. :D
leyton Hammer
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by leyton Hammer »

No - for all the reasons already stated plus, the spivs played him last time so would show a lack of principles and complete desperation on his part.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Irrons wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:55 am Yes.

He's the manager West Ham and it's players deserve.

"If you don't run, you don't play."

Good.
we didn't run under him, but you're right we didn't really play either.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:34 am Interesting that the no’s have all said who they are and the unsures plus reasons but no one has said yes and why - board sympathisers perhaps?
Or perhaps they can't be arsed to say who they are because of being dug out. Saying they're board sympathisers helps nobody.

I said yes. I hate the board, but there we go.