Manager 18 - David Moyes: yes or no? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the installation of David Moyes as West Ham United's next full-time manager?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:18 am

Yes
18%
No
74%
Unsure
8%

Total votes: 406

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Re: Manager 18 - David Moyes: yes or no? [POLL]

Post by -DL- »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:13 pm I think you are being a little bit sensitive - my suggestion was that there maybe board plants boosting the yes vote.
Apart from one or two posters who have given their reasons for wanting Moyes in hardly anyone else has admitted it.
I don't think I'm being sensitive at all. It's common when those that are not established posters who have a differing opinion to the majority, get the opportunity to have 'their say' as such when polls like this are run, safe in the knowledge they're not going to be pulled up by those with a different opinion to them.

People don't need to give an opinion or reason in a poll, and the anonymity of a poll allows others that wouldn't normally participate in the discussion the opportunity to give their thoughts.

As I said, what doesn't help, is when those that vote without giving their reasons to, get labelled club plants or board sympathisers. I'm not saying there isn't people that come on here with an agenda, but to label those that have not piped up with reasons as the aforementioned, is a bit harsh in my opinion.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I agree with your general point on that, DL. There's some that will say yes, for their own good reasons even if I will disagree but it should be respected. The 'legit' Yes's to Bugeyes would afford that for all those who wish to never see him return.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Moyes will bring:

Professionalism, hard work and an analytic approach when it comes to team setup.

Over time he should also bring in a team made up largely of younger players who he can develop, and who will offer hunger and sell-on value. He will also offer a balanced team that will be built in a well-drilled defense.

The team will consolidate as a upper mid-table side, which is when he will have to push on and this is where he will have to prove he is brave enough to really go for it more in the big games.

All of this depends on the board being willing to allow a football man to actually invest in the areas that have been chronically underinvested in. If they will not allow big money to be spent on the defense and midfield, and not just vanity attacking signings, then the approach could fail and then it’s rinse and repeat.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

You can't vote for yourself, Dave. :D
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

NO NO nononono nononono NO NO THERES NO LIMIT. Pardon?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:29 pm You can't vote for yourself, Dave. :D
I am worried about IB. I mean, I can understand love ins for certain managers and players, but I'm just surprised there is someone out there like that when it comes to David Moyes...
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:27 pm The team will consolidate as a upper mid-table side, which is when he will have to push on and this is where he will have to prove he is brave enough to really go for it more in the big games.
That's your pitch? After 2 or 3 years, he will begin trying to win against the bigger clubs?

Kill me now.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:29 pm You can't vote for yourself, Dave. :D
:o
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:27 pm Moyes will bring:

Professionalism, hard work and an analytic approach when it comes to team setup.

Over time he should also bring in a team made up largely of younger players who he can develop, and who will offer hunger and sell-on value. He will also offer a balanced team that will be built in a well-drilled defense.

The team will consolidate as a upper mid-table side, which is when he will have to push on and this is where he will have to prove he is brave enough to really go for it more in the big games.

All of this depends on the board being willing to allow a football man to actually invest in the areas that have been chronically underinvested in. If they will not allow big money to be spent on the defense and midfield, and not just vanity attacking signings, then the approach could fail and then it’s rinse and repeat.
Are you Moyes' agent? no wonder you've got so much spare time to post on here.
Colours never run

Here's a thought, what if they do hold the meeting and Moyes actually does decide in the end he don't fancy the grief, then what will the Club do? ****ing clowns have a game in a few days time with potentially bugger all to lay out the cones looking disinterested. :lol:

I'd have respect for Moyes if he did the right thing and turned us down.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

dodger wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:22 am Is he the man I want managing us? No. Do I think we can do better right now? Probably not.
In a nutshell.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:32 pm I am worried about IB. I mean, I can understand love ins for certain managers and players, but I'm just surprised there is someone out there like that when it comes to David Moyes...
I am sure if he regularly has us finishing 5-7 then people will change their tunes. I think we just need a manager who can methodically change the mindset at the club to one of consistent winners.

I rate Moyes in the same bracket as Roy Hodgson. They are both excellent managers who are under appreciated. Look how well Crystal Palace have done under a competent manager.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

wormley Image
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:38 pm I am sure if he regularly has us finishing 5-7 then people will change their tunes.
I think that's obvious. But that's the range he had the biggest club in the world finishing when he was in charge.
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

I don't think anyone, including those voting 'Yes', think that David Moyes represents the future for this club. Is keeping us up by the skin of our teeth the future? IMO it is not. Appoint someone with fresh ideas that will rebuild the reputation of this club (footballing wise at least, the ownership side lost its legitimacy years ago) take the hit, go down to the championship, rebuild from there.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:38 pm I rate Moyes in the same bracket as Roy Hodgson. They are both excellent managers who are under appreciated. Look how well Crystal Palace have done under a competent manager.
He hasn't the ability over a time period and different jobs of Hodgson.

I also wouldn't want Hodgson, for what it's worth. They are really good at being bad and winning. Suckering teams into defeat is not a fun way to spend 90 mins
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:48 pm He hasn't the ability over a time period and different jobs of Hodgson.

I also wouldn't want Hodgson, for what it's worth. They are really good at being bad and winning. Suckering teams into defeat is not a fun way to spend 90 mins
Kind of hard when he spent the majority of his career at one club, where he was universally recognized for consistently over performing relative to his resources.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

After hovering over 'no' I voted 'unsure'.

We should be going for a big name manager, but we wouldn't get them and probably wouldn't back them if we did.
Somebody like Pochettino is where a club with a 60k stadium and European ambitions should be aiming.
But we have the stadium purely because it sorted the owners financial ambitions. We are not a top side, we are not funded like a top side and we certainly aren't run like a top side.

Personally I would like us to go for somebody like Scott Parker, a young manager, former club cult hero, doing well at Fullham. But this would be too much of a risk for the owners investment.

So given where we are and who is running us, Moyes is probably the best out of a very poor list of names on the list of the senile old ****ers who run our club.
Having watched us recently, our defence needs to be tighter, our work rate needs to intensify and we need to be more direct. Like it or not, Moyes will probably bring us all of those things.
Last edited by Coops on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Sorry double post.
Last edited by Coops on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Aceface wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:44 pm I think that's obvious. But that's the range he had the biggest club in the world finishing when he was in charge.
True to an extent, but he wasn’t given much time there to grow into the role. He also has their best European campaign in a number of years, which most people forget.

Given the Champions League is seen as the most elite competition, he proved he can mix it at the top table.