West Ham Utd 4-0 Bournemouth (01/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Bournemouth: Match thread (01/01)

Post by HammerAl »

3-4-1-2, with Anderson playing in a free role behind the front two:

Fabianski
Balbuena Diop Ogbonna
Fredericks Rice Fornals Masuaku
Anderson
Antonio Haller

Subs: Martin(?), Reid, Cresswell, Noble, Lanzini, Snodgrass, Ajeti
MAC08
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by MAC08 »

Fabianski, Rice, Ogbonna, Noble, Snodgrass, Cresswell, Antonio.

These 7 will definitely start for Moyes. He will go for experience and who he knows.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Zabaleta gets a call too.
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Apparently Bournemouth have their entire first team back 4 " OUT ". Great chance for us. Can,t see anything but a win to be honest.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

New manager bounce. We'll win.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

moyes effect starting already as I think we will win this game easily, having been convinced it would be a draw under pelle or even a loss.

fabianski
Balbuena diop ogbonna
fredericks rice fornals Anderson masuaka
Antonio haller

subs martin cresswell reid noble Snodgrass ajeti Holland

hammers 3 Bournemouth 0 haller x 2 ogbonna

COYI
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

With thanks to a very generous fellow on here, I shall be going to this and taking my little dude to his first ever West Ham game. One of those moments in life that will stay in the memory forever, so please West Ham, give him something to smile about at full time.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

just don't eat the food there or he will have something nasty to remember !

here`s to a hammers win !
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

-DL- wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:23 am With thanks to a very generous fellow on here, I shall be going to this and taking my little dude to his first ever West Ham game. One of those moments in life that will stay in the memory forever, so please West Ham, give him something to smile about at full time.
If you see groups of grown men huddled in small groups twitching, dribbling and crying don’t be alarmed. We are the West Ham Claret and Blue army.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

-DL- wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:23 am give him something to smile about at full time.
The Cornish Pasty stall sells two for the price of one at the end of games

There you go :wink:
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:29 am It's very easy to create chances against us. Our XG stats are awful because of this. I mean creativity wise ourselves it isn't great, but it's better than a few teams. Letting teams create against us however is another story. We have let some **** teams have 8/9/10 shots on target against us. The likes of Burnley and Newcastle who had issues scoring managed 3 each against us while creating a a load of chances. This is the first thing that simply has to stop. Crystal Palace are an example of a team who are good at that. Their football is generally negative and their team has it's limitations, but Hodgson at least can see that. So he sets them up so they are organised and hard to score against. They are able to nick points this way. I'm not saying I want us to be like that, but Pellegrini simply failed to try and address the issue at all. If Moyes can do that it's a start...
All you have to do is learn from your mistakes, last season Burnley Hammered us away, this season exactly the same embarrassing result. You can always accept getting beaten but not like that. Hopefully Moyes can try and rectify some of these performances and give us a fighting chance
keithwright1977

-DL- wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:23 am With thanks to a very generous fellow on here, I shall be going to this and taking my little dude to his first ever West Ham game. One of those moments in life that will stay in the memory forever, so please West Ham, give him something to smile about at full time.
Good luck, I hope we can give your son something to cheer COYI
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

-------------------------------------------------------------Fab----------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------Diop---------------------------Balb--------------------------Ogbonna---------------------

Antonio------------------------Anderson-------------------------------Rice--------------------------Arthur

------------------------Fornals-----------------------Haller------------------------Lanzini-----------------------

Anderson as a deep lying playmaker.
denzel

Post by denzel »

ashbanki wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:51 am Anderson as a deep lying playmaker.
:lol:
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I'd go with:

-----------------------------Fabianski------------------------------

---------------Balbuena------Diop------Ogbonna----------------

Fredericks-------------Rice(C)---Snodgrass---------------Masuaku

--------------------------------Fornals----------------------------------

------------------------Haller----------Antonio--------------------------

Subs: Martin, Cresswell, Reid, Noble, Lanzini, Anderson, Ajeti.

I have a feeling if we play the 5 at the back formation Moyes will stick Cresswell in as one of the 3 centre halves like he did before, as that's what made that formation flexible, as if he wanted us to attack more Cresswell slots back out to left back and Masuaku can then continue to commit attacking and playing more like a left winger. The resin I didn't do that is due to the lack of physical presence we now have. Particularly in midfield. When Moyes was last here he had Kouyate, or Obiang. This is the perfect opportunity to 'experiment' Diop as an unofficial midfielder as he can play in the middle of the 3 to add protection and as he is physical and quick enough can occasionally have the license to bomb forward and support both Rice and Snodgrass.

For me it doesn't really matter in that formation if we go for Noble or Snodgrass next to Rice. I went for Snodgrass as he is slightly quicker than Noble and is very good at crossing.

I have a feeling Fornals may be dropped for either Anderson, or Lanzini. But I think we should keep him in now he's on a roll. And to keep his confidence sky high I think it's best to stick by him.

I think he may even be tempted to put Reid in for Balbuena too due to him being a better physical presence and bit more old school defensively. But being out for so long and no match practice will cost him.

My final decision was whether to go with Antonio up front alone and have Anderson in midfield instead of starting with lazy Haller. But I especially don't think Haller will be dropped straightaway unless he shows a bad attitude in training, as Moyes is pretty strict. E.g. When Antonio arrived late he dropped him from the match day squad when he was last in charge. But Moyes will want some presence up front. He'll want Haller to be his Fellani.

Anderson is the big player I am struggling to slot into this formation, unless like I said he plays in an attacking modified position. I honestly don't see where he fits in.
Last edited by funky chicken on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

I've had a bit of a deep dive into the formation Ginger Dave used whilst he was here previously. He seemed to switch between a 3421/3412 often without any real difference in results.

As we've seen, Haller is a good target man but cannot afford to be isolated. I just hope that Moyes doesn't just stick him uptop and hope for the best.

He also seemed to be using Cresswell as part of the back 3 with Masuaku filling in the left wing back role. I can't see that happening, I reckon he will go with all 3 CB's.

With no Kouyate or Obiang to sit in the middle, my guess is that it will be Rice & Noble. If any of the back 3 **** the bed, then Rice may be moved back. Fredericks is nailed for the right wing back spot.

So then that leaves us to decide on the attacking side of things. Haller upfront with Antonio with either Anderson/Lanzini/Fornals slotting in behind. Or one up front of Haller/Antonio with two of Anderson/Lanzini/Fornals sitting behind.

Given Bournemouth are plagued with injuries, I would throw Haller & Antonio upfront with Fornals in behind. Fornals has shown a bit of fight & has improved over the last few weeks - it would be unfair to drop him.

So team (for me) would be:

Fab

Ogbonna
Balbuena
Diop

Fredericks
Noble
Rice
Cresswell

Fornals

Antonio
Haller
artlin

Post by artlin »

HammerAl wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 am 3-4-1-2, with Anderson playing in a free role behind the front two:

Fabianski
Balbuena Diop Ogbonna
Fredericks Rice Fornals Masuaku
Anderson
Antonio Haller

Subs: Martin(?), Reid, Cresswell, Noble, Lanzini, Snodgrass, Ajeti
Totally agree with that formation.

Anderson is much better in the middle.

Not sure about Reid though. Rice could fill in at the back.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Tell him it was your idea to park the bus :lol:

Joking aside hope he has a wonderful time and you too DL :thup:
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Everyone seems to want to play 3 at the back. Do we have time to practice this? Then again we played 3 at the back against Leicester as Diop decided he was playing somewhere else!
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

fredericks rice fornals Anderson masuaka

We would get totally overrun with that midfield. Obvious.
keithwright1977

ornchurch ammer wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:16 pm fredericks rice fornals Anderson masuaka

We would get totally overrun with that midfield. Obvious.
No change there then