West Ham Utd 4-0 Bournemouth (01/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Bournemouth: Match thread (01/01)

Post by Samba »

johnnyb wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:11 pm Too slow, too one footed, can't tackle, can't head the ball despite being 8 feet tall. Can pass a bit once in every blue moon.
I like him but he's quite an unorthodox player. A luxury player that you might have in your team.
The trouble with us this season is that we've often had more than one luxury player, playing at the same time.
You can't do that & expect to win or even draw games.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

For a start, we need to start getting service to Haller. I'd expect a 5 at the back with the wing backs providing crosses more frequently than we have done. Problem with that is who is put in the middle. If it's a three i'd be inclined to have Rice with Lanzini and Fornals providing the creativity.

I'd drop Anderson and Yarmolenko until they fancy playing for us.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

If the relief I feel at Pellegrini's departure (and I was a fan a couple of months back) is anything like the players feel then we'll see a totally different team tomorrow. Is Moyes my ideal? No, but I think he's a lot better than he's being given credit for and quite honestly really couldn't be much worse than what we've seen in the last few weeks.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

yarmolenko will have to change his attitude to get in a moyes team. he wants hard working and running in a player. none of those are apparent in yarmo. very disappointing and I would not have him on the bench until his attitude changes.

hopefully moyes will keep zabaleta sanchez yarmolenko far from the team and bench.

I think he will start noble although I wouldn't. also I doubt Antonio will be risked .

fab
Balbuena ogbonna diop
fredericks noble rice fornals masuaka
haller Anderson

subs martin cresswell reid lanzini Holland ajeti Coventry

hammers 3 Bournemouth 0 haller x 2 Anderson Happy days !
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

goa127 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:54 pm If the relief I feel at Pellegrini's departure (and I was a fan a couple of months back) is anything like the players feel then we'll see a totally different team tomorrow. Is Moyes my ideal? No, but I think he's a lot better than he's being given credit for and quite honestly really couldn't be much worse than what we've seen in the last few weeks.
:thup:
Right now, Moyes has got one directive: keep us up. He did it before & very arguably, with worse players than we have now.
I've been reduced (as many of you have I'm sure) to believing that, that being achieved, would be some kind of success this season.
I really can't see us having the players to win the FA Cup this season (I'm NOT saying that we shouldn't go all out to), but I'm not sure that any manager could have given us that, again, with the players & squad that we currently have.
I want us to stay in the PL & Moyes should be able enough to do that.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Respect the point, Happy New year everyone. :lol:

------------------------Fabianski

Zabaletta-------Ogbonna----------Diop-----Cresswell

-------------------------Rice--------------------------

Fredricks-------Reid-----Balbuena-----------Masuaku

-------------------------Noble ( in case we get a penalty )------------------------
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:05 am TOMoS - can I have some of whatever you are having!! In fact, can you produce a big batch as I think there’s a fair few of us who would appreciate some!! :thup:
:D

Samba - ' It could be a high temperature.. '

It was meant as a bit of an antidote to the misery that was forthcoming after the announcement of David Moyes becoming our new Manager - I don't think Bournemouth are that bad a team actually and 4-1 is a tad optimistic but if we revert to 3 at the back with Fredericks and Masuaku bombing down the flanks we may well beat them by such a score . :thup:
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

ageing hammer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:37 pm Respect the point, Happy New year everyone. :lol:

------------------------Fabianski

Zabaletta-------Ogbonna----------Diop-----Cresswell

-------------------------Rice--------------------------

Fredricks-------Reid-----Balbuena-----------Masuaku

-------------------------Noble ( in case we get a penalty )------------------------
You seem like the sort of fella who would win the lottery and blow all the money in a week good on ya
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Let’s hope Wilson reverts back to previous most famous role in the film castaway where he does absolutely nothing for 90mins 🤔
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

Masuaku and Fredericks as all out wingers would create havoc. Would be Interested to see that against Gillingham
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

The pace of Fredericks and Masuaku should be enough to worry most defences. Especially with them both given licence to get forward. It is central midfield where we're lacking. A midfielder alongside Rice who can do the box to box thing is what we need.

Fabianski
Ogbonna Rice Cresswell
Fredericks Noble Diop Masuaku
Anderson
Haller Antonio

Diop needs to be given the licence to go on the runs he has gone on in the past, the Tottenham game springs to mind.

Masuaku and Fredericks can get wide and high up the pitch, I put Noble in for the long passes out to the wings for them. Anderson has that capability as well. Anderson will have a free role to get either side and behind Haller, with Antonio pressing all over that front third.
The formation also easily changes to a 4 at the back with Rice swapping with Diop, Cresswell moving to left back and Fredericks dropping back.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Can't wait for this one - and I'm sure the players will be equally up for it.

We won't radically change formation this early on.

Expect Moyes to go with players he trusts where possible.

Fabianski

Zabaleta
Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Snodgrass
Noble
Rice
Anderson

Antonio
Haller

If they are fit we will see Fred, Masuaku and Yarmolenko come on.

Agree he'll try a back 3/5 but not with two days' training.

2-1 to the Irons which will give the minority Moyes fans lots of ammo, and won't be good enough for his naysayers, and will be attributed to 'luck' and new manager bounce.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Smonnie wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:54 pm Can't wait for this one - and I'm sure the players will be equally up for it.

We won't radically change formation this early on.

Expect Moyes to go with players he trusts where possible.

Fabianski

Zabaleta
Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Snodgrass
Noble
Rice
Anderson

Antonio
Haller

If they are fit we will see Fred, Masuaku and Yarmolenko come on.

Agree he'll try a back 3/5 but not with two days' training.

2-1 to the Irons which will give the minority Moyes fans lots of ammo, and won't be good enough for his naysayers, and will be attributed to 'luck' and new manager bounce.
Would be surprised to see two up front - 4-1-4-1 or some sort of 3-1-5-1 or 3-5-1-1 seems more likely. Winning the midfield battle seems key.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:52 pm Would be surprised to see two up front - 4-1-4-1 or some sort of 3-1-5-1 or 3-5-1-1 seems more likely. Winning the midfield battle seems key.
Playing Antonio 'up front' is a bit different to playing Hernandez there, though!
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Wouldn,t surprise me if Moyes left Haller on bench and played Anderson up top with Antonio via 2 wing backs.
Didn,t he drop Chico and move Arnie up top from being a winger because of his pace?
5 at the back. Fornals, Rice and Lanzini in the middle. Anderson and Antonio up top.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Smonnie wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:09 pm Playing Antonio 'up front' is a bit different to playing Hernandez there, though!
Yeah, and I advocated it myself. Maybe Antonio could play behind Haller? I just think if you leave them both up top we could end up getting turned over, whereas if Antonio is a bit further back he can utilise his pace as a support striker, and drop back if necessary.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Oops
Last edited by Ironing Board on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

FGS!
Last edited by Ironing Board on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

keithwright1977 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:03 pm Let’s hope Wilson reverts back to previous most famous role in the film castaway where he does absolutely nothing for 90mins 🤔
:lol:
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Depressed Hammer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:19 pm Wouldn,t surprise me if Moyes left Haller on bench and played Anderson up top with Antonio via 2 wing backs.
Didn,t he drop Chico and move Arnie up top from being a winger because of his pace?
5 at the back. Fornals, Rice and Lanzini in the middle. Anderson and Antonio up top.
Sounds like Haller can do everything that Arnie used to do though. Makes you wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

"Haller, in fact, was the biggest difference-maker in Frankfurt's play. Fast, athletic and very strong the striker could create chances, hold the ball and score goals and was, therefore, always a way out for the club—when the team struggled they knew they can boot it long and wide to Haller, who always found a solution in the final third."